Internet Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Internet Usage

@Huongq

First point of clarification - the device that is currently connected to the router using Internet when 75% and 100% is reached receives the notification.

In the main holder's account, they will be able to see under the Internet section of MyRogers, both what their limits are, and they can also see what notifications have been issued and on what days.

You won't be able to see it if you don't have access to MyRogers, which I would suspect you don't have.

This is a discussion to have with your landlord.

I won't comment on legalities, as that is beyond my scope of knowledge, I am just speaking from experience of multiple users in my home and how notifications work.

Bruce

Bruce

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct BS.

When the notification comes time (at that usage), one/any of the currently running devices (i think mainly only PCs though), will get an INJECTION of the notification in the top of the web browser.
Once confirmed, it disapears, until the next notice level comes up (100%, maximum overage, etc).

To share with someone who is just staying in your house.. guests, etc.. there is no real issue there.

IF its a full rental thing.. landlord/tennant, legal, with an agreement, etc.  Yes, at that point, technically EACH person should have their own account.  
Would a person ever get charged, etc.. no its not anything illegal like that.. moreso that usually what would happen would be cut off of service, etc if it became an issue.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Personally, do not rely on the data usage warning message function. I have been monitoring my INTERNET data this month as I am getting very close to my 25GB limit.  Today is the last day of the cycle (18 Aug) and I am at 99.68%. See image below showing 0.08 GB left.

The pop up usage reminder I just got from Rogers (18 Aug 2017 @ 21:00) indicated that I am at 75%.  75% actually happened about 8 August (10 days ago, not 48 hours ago) based on my actual daily data usage chart. 

Because I have uploaded these images on 18 Aug, it may go over the 25GB limit by a bit for $1.50 extra, but I hope you get my point. The 100% notification, if I get it soon, will be pointless. There is a risk in relying on Rogers warnings to avoid overage charges.  Rogers service needs much improvement. 

Unfair Usage Reminder.png

Unfair internet plan.png

Highlighted

Just to re-emphasize the point. It is now 19 August and I have gone over the data limit by .22GB. 

(Images uploaded from last night)

This means I'll be charged an extra $1.50 for 1GB. Uploading another image will not matter now.

The point is I have not received the 100% warning from Rogers so this illustrates that the information you may rely upon to halt your data usage before you go over your limit is totally impractical.   

Unfair Internet Plan overage.png

In conclusion, you really have to track your internet daily usage yourself and also predict the next days consumption (using averages) to actually ensure you do not go over your limit at the end of the cycle. In my case the 75% warning from Rogers was actually 10 days late so it was absolutely useless in warning me.  

NOTE: This story isn't the same for wireless data. Wireless data seems to give you a text message warning, but you have to set it up first.

If you haven't it is the same story. I have provided other wireless plan users some information on a different thread. "Wireless Plans and Pricing".  Sadly these issues are discussed on many threads, including suggestions for improvement that do not seem to go anywhere. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

That is ok @User14  if you want to really understand just how delayed and mixed up overages can be, let me tell my story.

I am on the SamKnows monitoring system, which since it does speed and latency checks on data coming from the modem once per hour, you can imagine just how much data that uses in  a month - in my case, it runs about 140 GB per month for the SamKnows monitoring.  Fortunately, when you are part of this program, Rogers credits back any overage charges.

Now here is the strange part - there is a staff dedicated to working with this crediting - they get nightly reports which they deal with the next day that there was an overage at the end of your cycle - they immediately credit back your account.  At that time, I can see that my overage is showing on the MyRogers page.

Then, low and behold and this is consistent over three bills now, there is no overage charge applied to the bill.  You would think that sometime in that 7 days it typically takes to produce the bill, they could get this overage charge on.

So I get the credit which lowers what I pay this bill, and the overage shows on the next bill, so I have to remember to keep that credit from the previous month available to cover the next bill where I see the last month's overage.

Confused, not surprised - it took a number of phone calls to figure that one out - for some reason, with the SamKnows involvement, the overage gets credited the day after the end of cycle (first day of new cycle), yet the overage doesn't get applied until the next month.

Probably partly due to the reality that reporting of data usage on home Internet is always delayed by at least 12 hours, and the page says it can be delayed up to 48 hours.  Like you say, real tough to monitor data usage without having your crystal ball handy and a solid knowledge of your predicted and past usage patterns and probably a good knowledge of basic statistics.

One other thing to be careful about - my 75% notice got opted out of by accident, either my wife or me when we clicked to make it go away - not saying that is what happened to you - we don't get it at all, and I still need to turn it back on.  And as you say, once you get the 100% warning, what can you do, but go down and unplug it, because you can't see for more than a day what you are doing in that last day - so guess you are left just not using Internet at all if you know you are getting close - the monitoring system by design is of little use for managing.

One thing I don't know, is the 75% and 100% warning in real time, or based upon the delay reporting we see.

If it is not real time, it really is basically useless.

Keep putting out these clarifications on how to understand the idiosyncrasies of Rogers services and billing, monitoring.

Note, amazing how you keep to 25 GB dead on each month - you must be an expert at predicting your usage, when you do get your warnings in a timely way.

Bruce

Highlighted

@BS wrote:

....if you want to really understand just how delayed and mixed up overages can be, let me tell my story.

Keep putting out these clarifications on how to understand the idiosyncrasies of Rogers services and billing, monitoring.

Bruce

I think actual stories from real customers are good to hear.

People can learn from them.  Images are good too like the one below related to internet usage.

This is Microsoft Support reinstalling Win10 over the internet. Live and learn. Smiley Wink

It only cost me an extra $4.50 for this mistake. Now imagine one $4.50 mistake/customer/year x 10,000,000 customers = $45 million.  That is more than Rogers reported operating profit for 2016 of ~$5 million. Just sayin'

Sad situation.png

From Rogers 1st Qtr 2017 report:  "Our priority is to offer our customers the products and services they want and need to have the best experience possible."