Internet Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Internet Usage -

This is for information on Internet Usage  due to advertisements.

As I reached my 25 GB limit, I tried to just go over my 25 GB usage allowance to see what actually happens.

First, I noticed that my Usage Allowance was (25600 MB), so please note that you seem to get 600 MB extra which is about 1 day of usage for me.

On your daily usage screen there is a block for Total Usage (MB) which was 25,171 MB in my case, so I did go over on the last day of my allocation time period.

There was another block for Total Usage (GB) which said 24.54 GB and I don't understand why there is a difference.

Maybe someone can explain why there are totals of 25,171 MB and 24,540 MB for the same thing.  The only rationale I can figure out is 25,171 MB minus 600 MB is 24,571 MB which is close to the 24.54 GB total.

So, I did go over on one total (MB) but not the other (GB).

My additional usage was  0 GB

The last block for Usage was  $0.00. 

In conclusion, I was surprised by how easy it is to control my Daily Total by being aware of what is happening on my machine. If you leave your browser open and leave your computer running, then advertisements and even movie trailers will run in the background and waste your Usage Allowance. I did not realize this until I started to monitor my usage more closely. 

It is fairly clear to me that advertisers steal your usage allocation without permission and it can be quite substantial if your browser is open all day. 

I would highly recommend closing your browser when not in use in order to avoid the unnecessary loss of your data allotment. Obviously if you have an unlimited plan, you don't have to worry. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your right.. things like that, even just sites with TONS of image adds, all 'steal' your data.

Unfortunately, there is not much that ROGERS itself can do.  They are just the TRANSPORT.. the road so to speek.
You want to go to a store (the webpage), if its further away, and makes you use more gas.. thats not the ROADS fault 🙂

Your best thing to do, is to sart using a browers like FF or chrome, which support extensions like ADD BLOCK, etc.. which will help block out those adds from running/playing.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Internet Usage

Get rid of them!! They are annoying audio ads and are malware. You need to install malwarebytes (free) and run a scan. They will be picked up and auto-deleted. Otherwise they embed in ur puter and replay over and over again non-stop using system resources. You need to install ad-block, ad block plus, ghostery - all free programs - to rid of annoying ads and pop-up's. Suggest you run malwarebytes at least once a week and your anti-virus program (full dynamic scan) at least once every 2weeks. The more the better. The latter scan will take anywhere from 2-4 hrs depending how complex your puter is set up, type of programs, files, and apps. Complete scan on my puter takes 3.5 hrs, haha. You can get real-time malwarebytes but it's premium and costs money. You should also download adwcleaner (free). Very good for "cleansing" your puter of all ads that could be embedded anywhere on your puter. Good luck!

Cleaning audio ads:

1. Run malwarebytes (picks up audio ads and deletes them)

2. Run adwcleaner

3. Restarts puter

4. Run Malwarebytes again to be sure.

5. Make sure u install ad-block, ABP (one or both), ghostery (not needed but gets rid of annoying social media plug-ins, 3rd party trackers, useless analytics, etc.)

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers doesnt make money on the ads... the host website does. Click n Pay ads, audio ads, redirected ads, pop-ups, etc. They all the same. Some are malware, virus programs, fake or fraudulent. Always have ad blocking programs, run malwarebytes, anti-virus scans frequently to keep puter "clean".

Highlighted

pac_west227,

Thank you for the information. Useful advice.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you use Firefox, you can also add NoScript as an additional blocker.  Its more demanding in that you have to explicitly allow items or sources from the various web pages via NoScript, but once its done, you shouldn't have to allow those items again.  Basically set it or train it so that over time, it builds up an allowable source list that you specifiy as you visit various web sites. 

Highlighted

Microsoft Edge blocks pop-ups too, but we are off topic.  

My main point was to alert people that their data allocation is being stolen by all advertisers.

It can easily be 100 M per day as they search the web, 300 M if a short movie trailer pops up and runs. 

I'll try to find another thread on advertisement blocking and see what is being recommended.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless you left the page open all day and it was constantly refreshing all day with new adds it shouldn't come anywhere near that amount.
General daily usage for most people the video playing should only add 10, 20mb tops
Adds are usually low quality, etc and would stream very little.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi, everyone. I have some problems. I rent the room. My host help me to set up wifi. I think it is unlimited, but yesterday I received the notification. I used 100% internet usage and I have to pay 3$ for 1gb. I want to talk with my host but she doesn't believe. She think it is unlimited. I don't have account number to check online and this notification doesn't appear again. Where can I receive this notification?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Huongq

It sounds like you are doing something illegal that is called "account splitting". It's up to your landlord to check on her account since you shouldn't really have any access to it.  Talk to your landlord and make sure you're not going to be liable for any extra billing.

I have no idea how you got the notice instead of her, unless she's granted you access to her account, which is very risky on her part.