Internet Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Internet Usage

Hello, i have unlimited internet  but today i got a msg that i have used up 75% of my data. Should i just ignore this?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Usage

Odd.. just could be a bug.

How/where did you receive the message?

Best to just double check to make sure the unlimited is still set up correct, log into your myrogers and check that is shows unlimited still

I Plan to Stick Around

I would call them and find out to be sure. I got the same package and I didn't get unlimited usage but I rarely go over.

If you use Netflix or Shomi it will eat through that pretty quick, especially if it's HD. And if streams had TRUE HD capabilities you would be shooting through your usage.

Edit: Or just do what Gdkitty the expert says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rogers doesn't like the pictures I uploaded so I don't think they will like any of my hilarious signatures too.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

When browing, commericals pop up and start playing either on the side or for a minute before what I want to watch.

Sometimes they play in a background tab and I have to figure out where it is playing.

Do these commercials cost me in terms of Internet Usage time??    

If they do, how do I stop them from eating my my data since they are playing unsolicited on my dime? 

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Hey there.

Those commercials are internet ads. You find them all over the place as nearly every internet site has advertisements of some sort.  Since they are videos playing over your internet connection, they do count against your usage for the month. However as these ads are normally very short at either less then a minute, or a little over a minute, they don't use very much usage; at most they might use a few megabytes of usage, and for comparision it takes 1024 megabytes to equal 1 gigabyte, and most internet packages would have a large number of gigabytes. So I wouldn't worry too much.

However if you wish to stop them altogether you should be looking into some sort of ad-blocking program.

I hope this has been helpful.

Re: Internet Usage -

If all activities on the Internet contribute to my data usage, then my point is that my quota is being reduced by someone other than me without my permission.  If I start receiving trailers for movies that advertisers think  I would like to watch then that would not be insignificant. I would reject receiving something like that. 

If Rogers is accepting money for these internet ads and they reduce my quota, then I would like the option of accepting or rejecting such ads. I do not want to be charged indirectly for receive these ads.

If you have money in the bank and the bank keeps taking your money to send you advertisement brochures, don't you think you would request that they stop sending you advertisements on principle?  I am sure the bank would tell you not to worry about it, but it may illustrate my point more clearly.

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @User14,

I understand your concerns and will definitely try to see if I can shed some light on your situation. Are you noticing the video commercials randomly popping up on the side for every page you visit? Is it something you've only noticed recently on websites that were fine in the past? If there are other users connected to the same Internet service, are they experiencing the same issue on their PC?

RogersArthur

Hello Arthur,

Our share everything plan includes 1 PC, 1 mini iPad, 1 iPad,1 iPhone and 1 Android Phone so it is difficult to know who is doing what. I did not pay attention to our data usage until we almost went over our limit.  Even though we cut back on our online usage, I noted that we were still burning >1Meg per day just checking emails or opening the Edge browser for searches.  That just didn't make sense to me until I realized there was extra activity being generated by advertisers. You can see videos being played at the top or at the side of your screen and in some cases if you put your pointer over them, you get the audio.  To me, this activity is costing me by reducing my data allocation.  I'll pay attention more closely in the future, but Rogers needs to address this issue. I don't want advertisers stealing my data! 

Rogers should treat this like a security breach and provide ad-blocking applications to their clients who do not want to be robbed of their data allotment. 

How can I get Rogers to address this issue officially?

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @User14,

Thank you for your patience. I understand your frustration and want to assure you that video commercials are not something that are designed to access any secure information or something that is included in any of our shared data plans. It's out of the norm for these types of ads to randomly show up when browsing or on every page. I myself have only seen some video commercial ads on news or movie related sites. If this is something that is only happening on your PC using the Microsoft Edge browser, I've found that the Microsoft Edge browser dose not have the option to block these types of video commercial pop-ups. However, you can try using it's pop-up blocking feature by going into the Microsoft Edge browser Settings, and choosing View advanced settings.

As for data used checking your email, you can click here to use our data calculator, this should give you more of an idea as to the amount of data used for certain task. Also for information on what we provide our customers in terms of online security you can click here.

Hope this helps,
RogersArthur

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@User14

There isn't a way for something like this to be addressed officially. Nowadays almost every website you will visit has advertisements of some sort, usually videos of the type you mentioned that play sound when you mouse over them. Even visiting a site like YouTube usually means you'll see an advertisement video of some kind prior to the video you want to see.

Not to step on your toes @RogersArthur but nowadays ads really do pop up out of nowhere in some cases. And you do find them on nearly every page as stated above. I deal with them all the time myself at home. The only real solution, as I said earlier, is to get an ad-blocker of some kind. You can usually find free ad-blocking software via a Google Search. If need be, I believe the Mozilla Firefox browser has some of the best anti-ad and popup software built right into it.

Again though, these advertisements do not count for a lot of usage. Most internet packages offered by Rogers have dozens, if not hundreds, of gigabytes of usage. An advertisement like the type you're referring to might use a megabyte or five, tops. So you're talking 5/1024th of a gigabyte, or less then one percent of a GB. It's not really something you should be worried about. Normal internet usage will use up more data then any of these advertisements.