Internet Problems After Storm

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Problems After Storm

Gdkitty, lol. Yes, clean shut down, those are the words I was looking for.

Here are a couple of UPS examples that you could probably use:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_438&item_id=012282&sid=rq7ss9r6kp93q9ljs37i...

http://www.staples.ca/en/APC-Back-UPS-ES-750VA-10-Outlet-Green-UPS/product_727518_2-CA_1_20001

They are essentially the same, with the same or very similar ratings. Five powered outlets and five surge protected outlets. There is a master outlet capability, which means that the box senses current flow through a particular plug that is designated as the master plug. When you shut down that device, perhaps a computer, it shuts down the associated plugs as well, such as a printer. But, you don’t have to enable the master plug system.

Looking at the comments I guess I should have been a little more clear. These will only last a finite amount of time. The bigger they are in size, the bigger the internal battery. Depending on the size that they are, they last from a few minutes, to maybe an hour or two depending on the power draw. They are not meant to provide long term power. The bigger units come with a USB connector, cable and software that you can set up so that the computer monitors the power supply, and commences a shut down at a point that you can pre-determine. Personal opinion, yes they do cost money, but the time (possibly vast amounts) and money they save by allowing you to conduct an orderly, clean shut down of your electronic equipment is well worth the cost. Even a little hiccup on the power can result in a total pain lasting several days. They have probably saved me from several potential hard drive crashes over the years and a lot of work rebuilding computers. For longer term power in the event of a long outage, you would need a generator hooked into your house electrical system that you can switch to manually or perhaps automatically. That would be great for the occasional ice storm that takes out the power for days on end.

If you have anything that you would consider as confidential, stored on an internet connected computer, you should encrypt the folders and files. You can actually encrypt the whole drive if you prefer. Just depends on what you want to do. I always say to people, don’t keep anything stored of any type, on an internet connected computer that you would not want to see released to the world such as personal information, and the same goes for anything that you could not replace, such as a family photo collection. Backup everything that falls in that category, on more than one device if you need to for security purposes, and scrub it from your hard drive using a file shredder which can, if set properly, overwrite the files to the point of being unreadable and therefore unrecoverable by unauthorized persons. It is possible to install a removable hard drive on a computer which locks with a key. Unlock the key, and the hard drive stays powered down and inaccessible. You can leave the drive in place, or remove it just by sliding it out of the rack. Anything personal or confidential could reside on that type of drive, out of harms way while you use the computer for other duties on a day to day business.  Turn the key and it powers back up, connects automatically and is ready for use.  There are a few ways to approach the issue.

It sounds like you’re becoming somewhat of an expert. Don’t be shy to come back to help others out!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty and techguy001,

I understand now about the UPS. It's basically a battery back up so that your important equipment doesn't crash. That's great, but in the case of my credit card terminals which are never supposed to be turned off, how can I avoid an eventual shut down if the batteries last a shorter time than the outage? I'm not sure how to even shut them off. They have a phone back up in case the internet connection is lost, but thanks to Rogers' digital phone lines, the phone goes too in the even of an outage so that's no help. Thankfully, we don't have outages too often. Honestly we lost power for a whole day during the ice storm this past winter, and everything was fine, but then a short outage gave me grief for over a week! I guess you never know. Still it is great to be armed with the proper knowledge so that you can minimize the risk in case something happens.

I will write all this down and take it with me when buying one. Main things to remember are, buy one with double the wattage rating than you plan to load it with, and the bigger the unit, the larger the battery, thus the longer the back up life.

Thank you both for the great advice!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink,

The current surge protector I have now also has a Master Plug with several slots that are tied to the master. Come to think of it, I did see those UPS units when I bought this SP. I might of even asked what they were but didn't think it was what I needed. Still, after finding out all this info, I definitely agree that the price is worth it if it can potentially save thousands of dollars in loss of equipment and priceless loss of memories or information.

This last bit about encryption and file shredding, I'm going to have to read a few more times. I haven't reached that level of expertise yet. lol That said, I am planning to update my shopping cart soon as the version of software that it runs on is soooo old. I am sure the new version will have even better, and more modern security measures in place. I think I will mention this to my webmaster. I have a feeling she will understand about this stuff much better than I.

And thank you as well, for the vote of confidence. I would definitely love to return the favour to anyone else in need of help as I have received great advice and learned a lot here myself. I'll try not to be shy, but I don't want to steer anyone wrong. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I read this thread and didn't find any solutions but I'm trying to find why my internet goes down every time there is a hard rain.  I can pretty much guarantee my internet will go down with every hard rain. When it happens:

• the modem (CODA-4582) signal levels all become well outside of range (way less than -10dbs all across channels)
  • as the heavy rains pass the signals levels start creeping back to "normal" spec levels
  • TV isn't knocked out simultaneously

The green metal box on the curb housing the thick cable before getting split to the various houses is in front of my house.  I can peer into it and the bottom gets completely  flooded but the splitter inside is above ground so it does not get submerged.  Perhaps this is a problem somewhere further down the line then?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hwaiting Call into Rogers and explain the situation to them, you need a maintenance crew out there to fix the lines and fix the tap so water doesn't flood in the box. 

Even though the splitter/tap is above ground perhaps there is a broken or frayed wire somewhere that gets covered in water and causes your signal to go out've spec and you loosing your connection. You can try calling in to Rogers tech support and explain, or send a PM to @CommunityHelps 

There is a physical issue with your line that requires maintenance by Rogers.