Internet Problems After Storm

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Problems After Storm

Thank you very much for the information. I have to say it is a bit daunting for someone who doesn't know much about computers "beneath the surface", but it was well explained so I kind of got what you are saying.

That said, I wish there was a sure fire way to know what the problem is. I did go and swap out the modem and I pretty much have the same problem as before. I am not getting any wired connection, but am connecting fine to wifi. The one thing confusing me though is that if I have a good wifi connection, and I also have a wireless printer, why aren't the two reading each other? I cannot print or scan even though I set up the wifi password from the new modem onto the printer. When the usb that came with the modem prompted for the two to discover each other, the modem could not discover the wireless printer. Odd! Knowing that, does it point a finger in any other direction?

As for the surge protector, I also don't know much about those things, but this time around I bought one that said a lot of good things such as it covered up to a couple of hundred thousand in damages blah blah blah and it was about $100.00. Not that price always means quality, but with all the things I read, and was recommended by the store clerk, I assumed it was at least better than the cheapie strip I have had up till now. Funny how nothing ever happened after thunderstorms on the cheapie thing, but I digress.

I just wish there was an "aha!" way of knowing it is one thing or another. I need to get this up and running, and right now I have orders I can't process because the wifi connection doesn't seem to be good enough to work with my credit card terminals. Is there a way to specifically test the ethernet adapter card?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, can you give this a go.  Connect the PC via patch cable that you know works, and let me know what color the LEDs are for the connected ports at the back of the CGN3 and the PC.

Your motherboard has an Atheros AR8161L gigabit Ethernet controller on board.  So, on the CGN3 I would expect to see a yellow solid or yellow flashing LED.  On my ancient motherboard I have an Atheros controller as well, showing solid green and flashing yellow.  I'm presuming green for connection and flashing yellow to denote data transmission.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm assuming that the PC will show that its connected, which will probably be a solid LED.  What you can try at that time is to right click on the internet connect symbol on the lower right hand corner of your monitor.  Select Troubleshoot Problem.  When the popup menu comes up, select "I'm having a different problem."  Then select "Use a specific network adapter (for example, Ethernet or wireless)."  That should offer you a choice of the controller for the LAN port, which is not the Ralink wireless lan card.  Your motherboard has an Atheros AR8161L gigabit Ethernet controller, which is what you should select.  Thats as far as I can take you as my LAN port is up and running.  Hopefully you can select the LAN port and windows will diagnose what the problem is. 

The next step if that is not going to work is to uninstall the LAN device.  Here's a link that shows how to do it. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03314764&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

NOTE:  In order to do this, you must be logged into the Administrator Account.  Otherwise the uninstall option will not be presented on the right click for the Atheros controller.

Skip down to Step 5: Reinstalling the network adapter software in Device Manager to troubleshoot broadband Internet problems in Windows 8.

That should step you through the device uninstall, after which you will restart the PC.  After the restart Windows will detect the device and reinstall the driver. 

The problems with the wireless printer I will leave to Gdkitty.  There is an issue with connecting a wireless printer when using the CGN3 and many people seem to be using a third party router to get around the problem.  I'm using wired printers, so at the present time I can't be of much help.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When Windows completes the reboot and reinstalls the LAN drivers, it should recognize the LAN port and you should then see the Network and Sharing Center pop up.  When it does that, its waiting for you to decide if the LAN is on a Home Network, Work Network, or Public Network.  If that secondary "Set Network Locations" popup does not appear, click on the Link to the network that is to the right of the bench picture or image on the left hand side of the popup.  That will bring up that popup window.  Select the network type that you usually use.  I use public network and have everything firewalled within my own network.  If you don't see that first larger Network and Sharing Center pop up, you can force it by right clicking on the network symbol on the right land lower corner of the screen and select "Network and Sharing Center".  At that point you can select the network link and reselect what it currently is set for or change the network type.  Rereading through your posts, it hit me that windows may not automatically recognize what it believes is a new network.  The key point was your statment regarding "Unidentified Network, and Limited".  That basically means that Windows has encountered a new network name and won't let you on until you identlfy what type of network it is, as that sets policy rules for the firewall.  Essentially it's for your own safety.  Whenever you reset the CGN3 back to factory defaults for example, that will cause Windows to think it has encountered a new network when the CGN3 and PC connect and you will be out of luck until you declare what type of network it is.  Having said all of that, this is what I normally see on a Windows 7 PC as this is where I usually experiment.  I would expect the same behaviour with my Windows 8 pc or laptop.

Give this a try as soon as you can to see if it clears up the connection issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Good Morning Datalink, and thank you for the very detailed instructions. I have just now had a chance to log on here as I have been trying to get in touch with Staples where I bought this computer, for the last hour. I will try your steps and update on what happens...

Just one thing regarding the wireless printer; I actually had no problem with the CGN3 and my Epson WF845 until this Monday so I am hoping that once the issue with my wired connection gets fixed, all else will fall into place. Speaking of which, I spoke to a tech guy at Staples and he made me do a DNS Flush and some kind of ipv4 reset etc. and all failed so he was able to kind of confirm that there is most likely a network card problem. I'm supposed to take it in this evening as the actual technician that works on it will be there after 5pm. I hope it will be an on the spot fix (best case scenario, a swap out of network cards), and not more deeply involved where it has to be sent out (worst case scenario) as I was told might be possible.

Based on this, should I still go ahead and try the steps you mentioned? Luckily I have a 2 year service plan on the computer so hopefully they won't try to tell me a million things are wrong with my computer just to sell me stuff.

Also, Gdkitty, if you are reading this, I would appreciate if you could help me understand why I cannot get a connection from computer connected wirelessly to a printer connected wirelessly.

Thanks to all who have helped me thus far!!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good Day,

The first thing I would try is to bring up the Network and Sharing Center and then the Set Network Locations panel.  At that point set what type of network you want to use, Home, Work or Public.  See what that does.

If that does not work, then try to uninstall the LAN port. Remember that you will need to be in the Administrators Account to do this.  Once done, reboot so that Windows detects the device and reloads the driver. After that you will have to go back into the Set Network Locations Panel as above. 

Can you let me know what color the LEDs are for the connected ports at the back of the CGN3 and the PC.

Can you also log into the CGN3 and on the first page that pops up confirm the firmware version that is installed.  I suspect that it is probably 4.1.4.5.

As for the wireless credit card terminals, do they have their own wireless base station which connects via wired connection, or do they connect wirelessly to the CGN3?  The one thing that comes to mind is the settings for the wireless network.  They have to match, otherwise the connection will not work properly, if at all.  If the card terminals are a wireless device they will have their own network requirements, such as the wireless mode (data rate max) of 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11.b/g/n, bg, or g/n, the security type, such as WEP (I hope not), WPA, WPA2 or WPA/WPA2 and lastly the encryption mode which is TKIP, AES, or possibly TKIP/AES.  You have to know what those parameters are, so that you can match them in the CGN3 wireless settings.  You would also have to know what the wireless mode is for other devices that you might have, so that everything will work.  For example if the card terminals were b/g, and you had a laptop or pc that supports n, which you do have, then you would set the wireless mode in the CGN3 to 802.11 b/g/n to keep the wireless devices running properly.

So, have a look at that.  If that does not pan out, I have a suspicion that your use of the USB setup key may have caused issues with the 2.4 Ghz network.  Personal opinion, and I agree with the tech rep that I eventually had to speak to, that USB key should be thrown out and never used.  After experimenting with it, I ended up with a CGN3 that went from operating perfectly to one that would crash whenever I enabled the 2.4 Ghz network, and when it did run, it had an uncommanded transmission artifact that was observable with a wireless laptop.  I ended up exchanging the CGN3 as no amount of Factory Default resets would remove the USB imposed settings.  Thats a remote possibility, but its easy to determine.  But for now, one step at a time.....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

I have spent some time with merchant services this morning sorting out the credit terminals issue. I was told that they only connect with a wired connection for security purposes so that explains why having the wifi running is no help trying to process credit cards. That said, they did walk me through what to do, and apparently it was my fault that I couldn't process the cards. I have a telephone line back up in case of internet failure and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Reason was that the terminal tries twice to process the deafult way which is internet, and then tries to dial up through the phone line. After the first attempt that came up No internet access, I hit the cancel button so it never got to go through its other attempts. Now I know to just leave it alone until it spits out the paper on its own. We tried it with my credit card for a penny just to make sure it works fine, and it did. Took a long while, but eventually gave the authorization via phone dial up. So that is one good thing!

Now, in terms of the wires on the back of the CGN3. Right now, having done nothing yet, I have one credit card terminal with a solid green light, one with a flashing green light, and then the modem ethernet yellow cable with a flashing yellow light.

I am also logged into my modem now, and the firmware version I see (SW Version it says) is 4.2.4.3. I believe it is up to date as I tried to update it and it said the latest update was already installed.

Regarding the set up USB key thing, you lost me there. lol Yes, one thing at a time. Actually, I used the set up key the first time too and was ok. Didn't have problems with crashing but who knows. Next time I know to use the "Advanced Users" instructions which aren't actually too hard when you've done it once already.

Ok, so I will do the things you told me above, and report now. Finally. Sorry but I keep getting sidetracked with other stuff as I still have to get things moving as much as possible for my customers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm first problem, I can't find this Set Network Locations Panel you mentioned. When I click on the Network Sharing Centre, there is no such title. I looked it up and google says to open the side panel in windows 8 then right click but I still don't get the option I am supposed to find. The only thing I did manage to find was when I looked in Firewalls, my "unknown network" aka the one that isn't working now, was listed as a public network. Is that wrong? Oh, and did I mention that when the merchant services was trying to go through my connection, they did this one diagnostic that showed all my values like IPad, Mask, Gway, DNS1 and DNS2 at 0 so he said it looks like there is no network connection being detected.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, I took the computer in to Staples, and what do you know? It was working perfectly there! No problem at all with the Network Card. They were able to get a wired and wireless connection going no issues at all! They said the only thing it could be physically is the cable but I have switched a bunch of those out. Now I guess I need to figure out your directions from the other email or call Rogers back. Somehow something went off kilter and it's not my network card! So strange!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you able to change connections back and forth from wired to wireless?  Hopefully the staff at the store showed you how to do that.  I presume that all you have to do is turn off the wireless on the pc.  On a laptop there is usually an F key function that brings up a window to turn it off or on.  Not sure what your pc function will look like.

From what you were saying earlier about the LEDs on the back of the CGN3:

1.  A flashing yellow will indicate a gigabit/s interconnection with the other device that is actively transferring data,

2.  A flashing green light should indicate a 100 Mb/s interconnection with the other device that is actively transferring data,

3.  A Solid green light should indicate a 100 Mb/s interconnection with the other device that is currently not transferring data

4.  No light should indicate a 10 Mb/s interconnection.  Note that for the last solid green and no LED at all, this is from what appears to be industry standard, but, the user manual does not explain what the various LED combinations actually mean.  So, there is a slight leap of faith here in believing that the CGN3 does follow some standard, even if the green and yellow are reversed from that standard.

So, it almost sounds like you should be back to normal.  Are the credit card terminals back up and running off of an internet connection? 

If you ever wanted to check the cables that you have, you could use something like a LAN tester such as these:

http://www.lowes.ca/lan-tester/ideal-digital-multimeter-multi-media-cable-tester_g1196022.html

http://www.lowes.ca/lan-tester/ideal-linkmastertrade-tester_g1199379.html

These are also good for checking house ethernet cabling and in the one case, RG6 cabling for satellite or Cable TV.