Internet Problems After Storm

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Problems After Storm

I am currently waiting for my husband to get home with the laptop. I am very curious at this point to see what will happen when connected to a different device. I think if I hook it up and it runs fine on the laptop, then there is a possibilty that it is not from Rogers.

Ok, he's home as I'm typing this. Stand by for live play by play!

So, I have turned on the laptop and first ensured that it has picked up the wifi status. It has. I had to enter the password, and it is now connected via wifi.

Now, I am going to plug in the ethernet cable from the cgn3 to the laptop and see what happens...

Ok, plugged to ethernet port on laptop, and I have EXACTLY the same problem. Wired connection says Unidentified, and no network access. Doing the diagnostic gives the same message as before saying that a valid ip address is not assigned. I made sure to have the wifi disconnected on laptop while trying to get the wired connection. Only thing I noticed is that when I first connected the laptop to wifi, it asked me what network I wanted to assign to it (Home, Work, or Public) so I chose Home. I noticed though that the ethernet connection was set at Public because it had that park bench symbol beside it. I couldn't find how to change that one though as the first time it popped up automatically. Not sure if this matters, but you had mentioned it in your last post.

So, I am really curious as to your thoughts on this now? How would you proceed? And by the way, I am in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks In Advance!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, I would go back to the Network and Sharing Center that has the park bench symbol and select the blue coloured link just beside it to bring up the network type panel.  Although it may say public network, already in the first panel, select the link to bring up the next panel and reselect the Public Network again and see if it picks up a network address.  If you look to the right of that bench symbol you will see a link for Local Area Connection.  If you select that link it will bring up a status panel which will show you the connection rate with the CGN3 which is a device to device rate only, and not related to the download rate you see from your ISP plan.  If you select the Details button from within that panel, it will show more info, including the IP address that it picks up from the CGN3.  You really can't hurt anything in here if you decide to explore the various links. When in doubt, just cancel out of where it led you.  Near Ottawa by any chance?

There is a very basic step that you are missing here and I'm trying to figure out what that might be.  Typically, when you connect a laptop that has a wireless connection that is already running, and you disable or turn off the wireless on the laptop, the laptop should recognize the fact that there is a valid ethernet connection, bring up the network type selection if this was the first time it was connected to a given modem / router, and run the connection when the network type has been selected.  Normally on the laptop there is a function key that will bring up a popup selection to turn the wireless off or on.  Once the wireless is turned off, the laptop should turn its attention to the wired connection.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Now, if you are referring to the laptop, I tried to go back to the network sharing and fiddle around with it again, and couldn't really find the setting to change it. The laptop runs Windows 7, by the way. The first time I connected, the network location selector popped up automatically. Also, what I think is happening, is that if you have a successful connection to the network, then it will allow you to click on it and make changes. Since mine is saying unidentifed network, I can't even right click  on it to bring up menu options. I looked this up extensively last night, and all the instructions given on how to get to the network location settings weren't working because my connection wasn't bringing up the appropriate menu options.

Back to the HP desktop, I click on the network symbol at the bottom, which opens the list of networks. If I click on the wireless network I am already connected to, it will give me a list of options to edit. If I try to click on the ethernet connection which says unidentified, again, no amount of clicking will open up anything. I found one suggestion to go into gpedit.msc and try to get to the Network Policies through there, but I don't think my version of Windows 8 has that as it keeps coming up with an error message saying can't find gpedit.msc, and to check the spelling and try again. It then suggested adding some code in and that's where I stopped. I'm not about to mess with code and make things worse for myself. lol

Anyway, just about to drop the kids off at their camps now, so I will continue when I get back. I guess I should call the Rogers guy again and let him know that even my laptop is showing the same error and see what they suggest. Not very hopeful though!

Oh, and I'm probably about 6 hours from Ottawa, suburb of Toronto.

Will keep you posted!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, after one week of this hassle, they are finally sending someone out tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed, but I'm not sure they can find the problem because all their remote testing shows excellent signal strength etc., and according to them, they didn't seem to think there was much of a chance that something external to the house could have gotten damaged and caused this, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

One odd note; this morning when my desktop was not plugged to the ethernet cable, my wireless printer started working with the wireless connection! This is odd because the printer and internet that are both wireless should work regardless of any wired connection that is there, but when the cable was plugged to the desktop and the unidentified network was listed in the list, the printer refused to print even though I had a wireless connection to internet. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but not much about this issue makes sense.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, it’s a long drive to Toronto for a service call.

Ok, here is something I would like you to have a look at, and that is, checking to see if the pc and / or laptop ethernet controller is set to automatically obtain an IP address when it connects to a wired connection. Have a look at the following link and see if you can follow it through to ensure that the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) is set to Obtain an IP address automatically and is also set to Obtain DNS server address automatically.

You will need to be logged into an administrators account to do this, otherwise you will see a password entry popup window asking for the administrators password to access the panels and change anything.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

The other way to get to the same panel is as follows: Select Start (lower left)…..Control Panel……Network and Sharing Center…..Change adapter settings (left side of panel)

At this point you should see a Local Area Connection with a network name just below if it was connected and below that the following: Atheros AR8161L gigabit Ethernet controller. Right now it should probably read something like this:

Local Area Connection

Unknown network

Atheros AR8161L gigabit Ethernet controller  (this is for the pc....don't know what controller is on the laptop)

Note that on that panel, just above the connection box is a series of options which includes Disable this network device, Diagnose this connection, View Status of this connection and Change settings of this connection.

Select “Change settings of this connection” to bring up the next menu which is the Local Area Connection Properties.  Select "Internet Protocal Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" further down the list to highlight it….then select Properties (to the right, below the list).

When the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties” panel comes up next, make sure that the two selections to “Obtain…..etc, etc, etc” are selected. If they are not already selected, please select them and hit OK at the bottom. If you did have to select them, close the panels and reboot. If this goes according to plan, when the network is detected after the reboot, you will probably have to select the network type again.

If they are already selected, cancel out of there and go back to the Network Connections panel with the various selections above the connection.  Select “Disable this network device” from the top selections. After it is disabled this will change to read “Enable this network device”. Go ahead and select "Enable...." to see if the adapter will enable and obtain an IP address from the CGN3.  Once again you may have to select the network type again.

To view the connection rate of the ethernet adapter, select “View status of this connection” which brings up the Local Area Connection status panel. The speed that is shown is the interconnect rate with the CGN3. Can you indicate what that is please. Next is to select the details button which brings up the Network Connection Details. It should show the IPv4 Address, and the IPv4 Default Gateway. Can you tell me what both of those are?

If all else fails, select Diagnose this connection and see what comes up.

Last question for now, do the pc and credit card terminals all use short length ethernet cables that were commercially produced, or do any of them run through house ethernet cabling at all. Just wondering about any cabling issues.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink, you mean you're not willing to drive 6 hours to service the internet problem??? Smiley Wink

Seriously, I did all the checks you asked me to do, and here are the results:

-Checked that both ipv4 and DNS were set to automatically obtain an ip address = yes, boxes were checked.

-Disabled/Enabled Ethernet 2, resulted in no change (this check was done by rogers tech support early on).

-Values next to ipv4= No Network Access (this was also checked by Rogers)

-Internet Speed = 1.0 Gbps

-ipv4 address = 169.254.142.34 (actually called autoconfiguaration ipv4 - this is the one right?)

-ipv4 default gateway = Blank

-ipv4 DNS server = Blank (threw this and the next one in too for good measure in case it means something)

-ipv4 wins server = Blank

Also where you see Activity Packets with a diagram in that same screen, it says Packets Sent 0, and Received 0. Sometimes it will show packets sent 1 or 2 and received 0.

After all this, I pressed the Diagnose Button, and got the same message as always: Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid ip confguration. Not Fixed.

Final question about the cable length is that I am connected by a short length cable if you mean the yellow cable that comes with the modem. My house is over 20 years old so it was not wired with built in ethernet. I connect to the back of the modem with a coax looking cable, the power cable and then the yellow ethernet cable which goes from modem to back of computer, and finally the two red ethernet cables that go from back of modem to each of two credit card terminals I have.

I hope I was able to give you the correct information. By the way, I also have ipv6 checked off to obtain internet address automatically. Should the ipv6 be unchecked? Finally, all lights on the images on the front of the cgn3 are lit up solid except for the 2.4Ghz wifi icon which sometimes blinks.

That's all I can think of for now.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen v6 error get in the way once or twice so could try turning that off.

What concerns me, is that it's still a 169.x.x.x address, is a default the adapter will get if no connection. It's not obtaining an address from the gateway.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, you know, it’s hard to find good help these days. 

Good work on all of the info. What that tells me is that the CGN3 and the pc are connected with a good link that is running at a gigabit/sec, which means that the output port of the CGN3, connecting cable, and input port of the pc are ok. They are connected and communicating with each other, but there is no data transiting back and forth. The IP address is another matter. Still scratching my head on this but here is something I would like you to try.

Once again you will have to be in an admin account to do this, or you could follow the path I’m about to specifiy and enter the admin password when required.

Ok, go Start…..All Programs…..Accessories…..Command Prompt. Right Click on the Command Prompt to bring up the menu, and select “Run as administrator”

What I’m going to do is to get you to do is:

1. Reset the WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset the TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

So, with the command prompt up, type the following into the window after the “>”

netsh winsock reset catalog (hit enter)

netsh int ip reset reset.log (hit enter)

When the last process has completed, reboot the computer and log back into the admin account in the event that this solves the issue and you have to select the network type to get the CGN3 – PC connection running.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I have been dealing with this issue ALL DAY, including a visit from Rogers, and a 3 hour phone troubleshooting with my merchant services for my credit card terminals (more on that in a minute).

So, first things first; I did the winsock reset as you asked, and it said result was OK, reboot for reset to take effect.

I also did the ip reset, and that one gave a result of Resetting Global, Interface, Neighbor, and Path as OK, but the overall comment was that the reset Failed - Access is denied.  Rebooting had no effect.

As I finished the above, the Rogers tech came, and spent about an hour here. He checked many things that had already been there and done with, but I guess he had a procedure to follow. He ended up switching out yet another modem, of course with same results. He then phone I'm assuming, a higher level person for assistance and after a few minutes, got the connection working! But wait - he got it working briefly, and then when he tried to reboot the computer, POOF, it was gone again. He hooked up to my laptop, and it was working there. He plugged all the things back into the modem (cc terminals), and found that the connection was lost again. Hmmm, so after trying this a few more times, he concluded that there was some problem with the credit card terminals. He said that when the terminals were plugged in, wired connection was lost. When terminals were disconnected, wired connection was back. Ok, so now we were onto something. That wasn't all though, this was when the ethernet cable was plugged into the laptop. When he plugged it back into the desktop, there was no signal regardless. He concluded that there was an issue with a.) credit card terminals, b.)my PC, or both, but that it was definitely NOT a Rogers issue. Sigh...

So, once he was gone, I called up merchant services. At first she told me that there was nothing the credit card terminals really had to do with my computer because they were running off their own ethernet cables plugged to the modem. She said it was irrelevant whether or not my computer had a signal and that the problem seemed to be that the modem was not able to talk to the credit card machines and give them an ip address. She did a quick comm server test and all the values came back at 0. She was about to send me back to Rogers claiming it was a modem problem, but when I insisted that this had been addressed 10 ways to Sunday by Rogers, she told me to hold on, and she would ask a "second level" tech support person. 5 minutes later she was back and said that they told her that sometimes a power outage could cause disruptions between the modem and terminals so what she basically did was program something to be downloaded into the machines. She said that normally the Rogers terminal worked on different timings and the terminals constantly adjusted to that but maybe something with the storm messed with the settings so she was programming a code to tell the terminals to process over one constant rate so there would be no need for the constant adjusting. Anyway, after programming each terminal with her special code, and rebooting both modem and terminals, the com server finally started showing ip addresses instead of 0 for everything! We did test transactions, and determined everything was up and running again!

After I hung up with her, I turned my attention to the desktop that was still without a wired connection. I didn't know what else to do other than to reboot it and see if that made a difference. Well, when it was restarting, it said there were 16 updates! Don't know why so many as windows usually does them automatically. Anyhow, after updating and restarting, wouldn't you believe the wired connection came back??? Hallelujah!!!!

So, that is my saga for the day. Fingers crossed, and double crossed that the connection is not a fluke and will remain next time the computer reboots. I can pretty much conclude at this point, that the PC itself is not the problem. Somehow, the modem was sending out ip addresses but the receiving equiments were unable to get them. Although the computer, and credit card machines each connected to the modem with their own ethernet cables, it is strange that when the credit card machines were updated and fixed, the laptop and desktop both started working as well. Do you have any thoughts on all of this??? I'd love to know for next time (though I hope there won't be one)!

Oh, and one other question regarding the Network type. So remember how we were saying that my network was listed as Public and that I should change it to Private? Well, all the google searches show to do this (in windows 8.1) the following way: opening the charms to the right of the screen, settings, change pc settings, Network, Connections, click on your connection and arrive at a screen which says "Find Devices and Content". Then there is a little switch on and off that you are supposed to switch on if you want a private network, or off if you want a public network. Problem is, I don't have this setting. All I have is Properties. It seems a lot of people have this "missing" from their connections menu and there is no solution that so far works to bring it back. I wonder why it is missing? I was able to find a work around to change the setting from Public to Private, but then reading more it says changing the network to private might cause issues with security and that it is better to leave it set to public. Now, I am totally confused. Which one is better? Private or Public, and how do I change back without that "Find Devices and Content" setting?

Sorry for complicating things, I just want to make sure my computer is safe as I have customer information on it. I don't want my network shared or seen by the wrong people! 

Oh, and sorry it was so long but thank you so much for the help!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wow, what a day, and what a pain in the rear! Congrats on the perseverance. I personally wouldn’t have thought of it, but disconnecting everything from the CGN3 and hooking cables back up one at a time can help sort out the offending equipment.

From the sounds of it the credit card terminals have some type of issue that is caused by a power outage. Simple solution is to then make sure that doesn’t happen again, and we’ll get to that. It would appear that when the credit card terminals reach a state where they malfunction, as you have been experiencing, that it has a follow-on effect on the connected router, and it probably wouldn’t matter what router they are connected to. So, yep, as the rep says, having the pc connected and running won’t make a difference, but that is basically due to the fact that the card terminals are root cause of the headaches. My guess is that the terminals were constantly requesting an IP address from the router, ignoring what they were being given, and continually tying up the CGN3 processing and all of it’s ports. That is down at the hardware level and is something you would not be able to determine. If you happened to have a protocol analyzer sitting between the two devices you might be able to surmise what was going on by looking at the communications back and forth, but going from there to a problem at the hardware level with the card terminal would have been a real leap of faith.

To make sure this never happens again, the solution is to ensure that the card terminals don’t experience a power outage. That is also a good policy for your pc and any equipment that happens to have a hard drive built in. The exception these days are laptops which have self contained batteries and automatic shut down routines when the power level reaches the bottom. An uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is essentially a battery backup for power outages. They come in a wide variety of sizes and as a result have a wide variety of time limits within which they will keep equipment running. All you basically need is one or more that will provide enough power to keep your modem, pc, monitor and card terminals running until you can shut them down. That way, if you are part way through a transaction and the power goes out, everything stays up running and the transaction completes without any hassle. Usually the plug-ins for these are divided in two, one half has battery backup, the other has surge protection only. So, you need to figure out how many devices you need to keep running and where they are located.

I have all of my computer equipment, satellite receivers and tv’s connected to various UPSs throughout the house. When we moved into western Ottawa, power outages were frequent enough to be a pain. The situation has improved but the battery backups keep everything running during the now infrequent outages. Keeping your computer and other hard drive equipped devices running in the event of a power outage also ensures that you don’t have a hard drive crash, which is a painful event to recover from, and ensures that you can conduct a normal shutdown of that equipment long before the UPS ever shuts down. The battery in the UPS is self contained and leakproof and lasts about 4 to 5 years, at which point the UPS will beep at you, indicating that its time to replace the battery. These can be bought directly from the UPS company or locally from CanadaComputers. Personal opinion, for any business that relies on computers for anything, these are a necessity. Don’t leave home without one, so to speak. If you keep your eyes open you can buy them on sale from Staples, Best Buy, Future Shop, Canada Computers, etc or go direct to the company. Here are some examples:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Battery-Backup-UPS/cat_CL200595_2-CA_1_20001

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=32_438

The lack of the IP address for the pc when it was reconnected is understandable to a point. I’ve found that the CGN3 is slow when it comes to rebooting and issuing IP addresses, and yep, rebooting the pc is very often required, following a CGN3 reboot. No pc reboot, no IP address. That shouldn’t happen.

The updates you saw installing were Microsoft’s Update Tuesday releases for August. Every 2nd Tuesday of the month is the release date for the monthly updates. So the fact that they were installing is good news. I have to presume that you have the pc set to download and install them automatically. There was also an update for Adobe Flash and Google Chrome. Adobe Flash might require manual updating, as it will depend on what you have it set for, and Google Chrome I believe will update automatically, don’t quote me on that one.

For the network type I would say to go with public. Basically what that indicates is that you are on a public network and therefore it turns off file sharing and connecting to other devices. Going Private allows file sharing and connection to other devices. I don’t have any real reason to allow pc’s and laptops to connect to each other, so everything I run is independent and set for public networks. My printers are also directly connected. Your circumstance might be different. It really depends on whether you have computers and laptops that need to see each other and share files. I’m not sure if that would have any effect on printer access for wireless printers. That is something you may have to experiment with. In any event, each computer and laptop should still have their firewalls up and running. Here is a link to change the setting.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-network-status-public-private-windows

You indicated that you had customer data on your pc. If you don’t do it already, you should have that data backed up on a standalone hard drive or backup device that isn’t necessarily collocated with the pc. In terms of physical security, if you ever suffer a break in, having that backup located somewhere else might mean that the loss of the pc isn’t a big deal. Although it would be a pain to replace, having the customer data at your disposal means that you’re back in business in a day or two with a new computer. If you are ever hacked, the idea is the same. If that customer data is sensitive in any respect, it should be encrypted and possibly not even stored on an internet connected pc.   That is another matter altogether, possibly involving provincial or federal privacy and data retention standards.  That is something you will have to judge.

Hopefully, this won’t occur down the road, tying up days of your time as you attempt to find the culprit. I did learn a lesson here, and that is to instruct others to reconnect one device at a time for troubleshooting. Something I wouldn’t think of otherwise. 🙂