Internet Problems After Storm

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Internet Problems After Storm

Please forgive me for jumping in without having read the thread in great detail, but given your post that your computer worked fine at Staples today, I have one simple question: what made you conclude the problem was your equipment in the first place?

(I admit that my first reaction if a weather event was followed by bad performance of Rogers services would be to presume that the weather event damaged some random piece(s) of Rogers hardware between me and the headend.)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VivienM

Their WIRELESS is working ok on the CGN3, they get internet with it.. so did not beleive it was directly rogers/head end issue.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

@VivienM

Their WIRELESS is working ok on the CGN3, they get internet with it.. so did not beleive it was directly rogers/head end issue.

Okay, so that's perplexing. I wonder if it's possible for the storm to have fried the 'switch' portion of the CGN? and left the rest more or less functional?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VivienM wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

@VivienM

Okay, so that's perplexing. I wonder if it's possible for the storm to have fried the 'switch' portion of the CGN? and left the rest more or less functional?

Thats my thought on it

I Plan to Stick Around

Good afternoon all!

Sorry was unable to update as we had some out of town guests yesterday. I basically returned home from Staples, plugged the cables back in and was frustrated to see the same problem on my end - No wired connection.

This morning I had a customer pick up an order and when he gave me his credit card, I warned him it would take a while as the machines don't run off wifi and had to cycle through a couple of attemts before using the phone back up. Lo and behold, his card went through right away, and my invoice printed! I looked and saw that I was still on my wireless connection and found this odd. I hadn't touched anything from last night when I just plugged everything back!

When I clicked on my network sharing centre, I see that my wired connection was still saying Unknown Network, and Limited. Now, all of a sudden in the last couple of minutes, the icon changed itself back to the wired connection! I opened Network Sharing again and saw that I am now connected to both wired and wireless, so I disconnected from wireless and am now solely on Wired again. All of this happened by itself with no further action from me. This is all so odd! So, I guess there was nothing wrong with my network card, for real, and I have no answer for what happened!

That said, I want to quickly address a few points in the last couple of replies.

Datalink - Thanks for the LAN testing item links you provided. I hope I won't be needing it any time soon, but good to have the info. Secondly, as my working CGN3 stands, the lights are as follows: ethernet=solid yellow, two credit card terminals=solid green. They blink here and there, but not a steady flashing like yesterday. I am assuming this is the proper format? Also, the way I toggle between connections is just by clicking on the little network icon beside the time and it opens up the networks page where you can connect and disconnect from various settings.

VivienM - The reason I thought it was my network card, was because I spent almost a whole day on the phone with Rogers and did every known troubleshooting method with them to fix the problem which I assumed would be taken care of by them rebooting my modem from their end or any of the other things they usually do. When, after changing cables, doing a whole bunch of resetting and rebooting, and finally swapping my modem out at the Rogers, nothing helped the situation, they concluded that my network card must have gotten fried from the storm. They tried to do a DNS flush and an ipv config and they came back as failed. My merchant services tech support also ran a diagnostic where all values came back as 0 signifying that there was no communication with my modem so it looked all around like something inside the computer was gone considering I had just changed out the modem for a new one. Of course when Staples tested it, everything was working fine on their end, and the tech there said the only thing it could be was my cable, or something on Rogers end. Since the cable was brand new, I assumed it was Rogers, and of course this morning it started working properly on its own.

So for now, it seems like I am up and running again! I hope it's not a fluke and won't keep happening again. Thank you to all of you for your help and advice. You were all very helpful even if I don't know why my problem happened, and how it got fixed!

Have a great day all!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, the bad news is that after a day or so of having my connection back, the same thing is now happening again. All of a sudden the wired connection is gone again and we are back to square one. Rogers pretty much told me they had reached the end of the rope with what they can do and have referred me to the Customer Advocacy Team for further assistance. As they were closed at the time of my call, I will have to wait til the morning. I sure hope these people can help because this is getting ridiculous. There has to be some reason for all of this! Oh, and they said they can't send a technician out because all the signals from their end look good so there is no reason they can find to send someone out.

Just a quick question, does anyone think this could be something in the outside box that has shorted as a result of last week's storm?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmmm, this is getting painful.  Can you confirm that you actually swapped the CGN3 for a new one, or ended up just doing the reset?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

Yes! This is indeed painful at this point.

To confirm, yes, I did swap the cgn out last week. I swapped it out the night before taking the PC itself into staples. New modem, new cable and still same problem. Following day took the PC itself in, and they hooked it up and it was working just fine for them, so they sent me back home saying the issue HAD to be from Rogers end.

New Developments:

Called the Rogers Customer Advocacy Team this morning, and basically did not get any further than I did with the regular tech support. According to them, my signals are all strong and not showing any problems anywhere. Therefore, he concluded that it must be a hardware issue with my computer. At this point I feel like a ping pong ball going back and forth between Rogers and Staples. He suggested that just because my computer worked fine at Staples, didn't mean there might still not be a problem with the network card. He said the storm could have damaged something, and it may just not be totally dead, and that if there was a short, it could cause it to work intermittently. Honestly, I'm not really buying it. I think they just don't know what to do with me, and are politely telling me to go be someone else's problem. Thoughts??

I'm really perplexed. On one hand, my system was working just fine all this time and the storm was the only coincidental thing that happened alongside the connection problems. The CAT guy tried to suggest some settings may have been changed or altered causing the computer to not recognize my modem - basically making it my fault again. I can guarantee that before this problem happened, there is NOTHING I touched in terms of setting or anything like that. All I have been doing is using my computer like always.

Lastly, I asked him why, if I had a wireless connection, that my wireless printer was not working? He had the nerve to tell me that I might have entered my wifi password wrong, since it was very long. I told him that I was positive that my password was entered correctly in all necessary places, and that if it were wrong, my printer would not have printed on that one day when the connection was back and working normally. He insisted that I may think it was right, but it could still be an error. This is pretty insulting considering it doesn't make any sense with what I am telling him. If my password has been entered wrong, there is no way it would communicate with my printer without an error. After installing the new modem, and changing the password from the default one that comes with the modem, and re-entering it on my printer as well to establish a connection, it printed fine when my wired connection came back.

Anyway, the only reasonable thing he suggested which I hadn't tried yet, was to plug my ethernet cable into anothe computer to establish if this connection problem was occuring only on this HP desktop, or everywhere. Since both my laptops are at my neighbours being cleaned up, I haven't had one available to do this with, I will get one back tonight and try it.

So this is the latest thus far. Oh yeah, he did suggest the Rogers Tech Experts which is a paid service but as far as I'm concerned they are only going to do as much as these guys have but charge me for it.

Any ideas? Does the network card theory sound plausible?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just wanted to add one thing. I did encounter a similar problem a long time ago (maybe a year or more ago) but not as lengthy in duration. It was the same issue with no wired connection, and reprogramming, resetting on their end etc. didn't work. I can't remember how it got fixed, but eventually it did. So, this is another reason why I don't think the network card is the issue because at that time, there was no issue of power outage or anything. Sorry, just wanted to add that in.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Until you have an opportunity to test a wired connection between the CGN3 and another pc, or one of your laptops I'll reserve judgement on the card issue.  If the pc ethernet connector ran and tested ok at Staples it should run with a connection to the CGN3.  Of course, without being there to see it in action and what tests were performed I'm taking a leap of faith here.  The only hiccup I can see is bringing it back home, connecting it and ensuring that the CGN3 network is identified and accepted by the pc.  That gets us back into the selection of the network type, work, home, or public.  I expect that you would still have to do that. 

For now, I would say to test the connections with another pc or laptop and we'll go from there.  Just out of curiosity, where are you located?