Internet Problems After Storm

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet Problems After Storm

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? We had one of those crazy rain storms yesterday and our house lost power for about an hour. When I rebooted my computer again, I didn't have a wired internet connection. I can connect to my wifi, but not to the wired connection. I did all the first line resolution methods like unplugging the modem/router and replugging, restarting computer, then called Tech Support and they did a reset and checked all the settings in properties etc. Final word was that it may be the cable, or another software problem. So, when you look at the cables at the back, from three devices I have plugged in, two are flashing green, and the ethernet cable is solid yellow. I guess this means it is not working properly. I had spare cables, so I changed one out, same problem, plugged it into the other empty slot on the modem and still same problem. Then I had an older cable from my older router/modem, so I tried that one. This one flashes green like the other two devices plugged in, but there is still no change in the fact that I can't get a wired signal. The network settings thing still says Unidentified Network, and Limited underneath that. By the way, I have that latest router/modem thing from Rogers.

Does anyone have any other ideas to try? Rogers basically told me all my settings looked fine so short of changing out the cable, I should ask a friend whose good with computers to check it out for software issues. There was nothing wrong with my connection before that storm/power outage.

Thanks in advance for any help!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Problems After Storm

Good afternoon all!

Sorry was unable to update as we had some out of town guests yesterday. I basically returned home from Staples, plugged the cables back in and was frustrated to see the same problem on my end - No wired connection.

This morning I had a customer pick up an order and when he gave me his credit card, I warned him it would take a while as the machines don't run off wifi and had to cycle through a couple of attemts before using the phone back up. Lo and behold, his card went through right away, and my invoice printed! I looked and saw that I was still on my wireless connection and found this odd. I hadn't touched anything from last night when I just plugged everything back!

When I clicked on my network sharing centre, I see that my wired connection was still saying Unknown Network, and Limited. Now, all of a sudden in the last couple of minutes, the icon changed itself back to the wired connection! I opened Network Sharing again and saw that I am now connected to both wired and wireless, so I disconnected from wireless and am now solely on Wired again. All of this happened by itself with no further action from me. This is all so odd! So, I guess there was nothing wrong with my network card, for real, and I have no answer for what happened!

That said, I want to quickly address a few points in the last couple of replies.

Datalink - Thanks for the LAN testing item links you provided. I hope I won't be needing it any time soon, but good to have the info. Secondly, as my working CGN3 stands, the lights are as follows: ethernet=solid yellow, two credit card terminals=solid green. They blink here and there, but not a steady flashing like yesterday. I am assuming this is the proper format? Also, the way I toggle between connections is just by clicking on the little network icon beside the time and it opens up the networks page where you can connect and disconnect from various settings.

VivienM - The reason I thought it was my network card, was because I spent almost a whole day on the phone with Rogers and did every known troubleshooting method with them to fix the problem which I assumed would be taken care of by them rebooting my modem from their end or any of the other things they usually do. When, after changing cables, doing a whole bunch of resetting and rebooting, and finally swapping my modem out at the Rogers, nothing helped the situation, they concluded that my network card must have gotten fried from the storm. They tried to do a DNS flush and an ipv config and they came back as failed. My merchant services tech support also ran a diagnostic where all values came back as 0 signifying that there was no communication with my modem so it looked all around like something inside the computer was gone considering I had just changed out the modem for a new one. Of course when Staples tested it, everything was working fine on their end, and the tech there said the only thing it could be was my cable, or something on Rogers end. Since the cable was brand new, I assumed it was Rogers, and of course this morning it started working properly on its own.

So for now, it seems like I am up and running again! I hope it's not a fluke and won't keep happening again. Thank you to all of you for your help and advice. You were all very helpful even if I don't know why my problem happened, and how it got fixed!

Have a great day all!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

is the device directly plugged into the unit (network cable right from the PC to the modem).. its not going through any wall jacks, etc through the house?

Which exact model do you have?  WIll help in troubleshooting.

The Newer CGN3.. is actually kind of backwards to most of the industry... a yellow/orange connection is actually gigabit, and green is 10/100.

(so yellow is actually preferable)

That you were getting different between the different cables.. could partially be the difference between a cat 5 cable, and a cat5e/cat6 cable.

Have you tried swaping ports, moving it up to one of the ports that the other devices are into?

Wondering.. if a port has gone, on the PC or the modem maybe... getting a partial link, but nothing more.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, to answer your questions, the exact model of modem is CGN3, and yes, I did try to move ports on the modem but not the computer. I only have one ethernet port on my PC that I can see so that is not an option, but moving to different ports on the modem has the same result - no connection. Also, the modem's ethernet cable is plugged directly to the back of the computer, and the modem is plugged to the wall outlet, not an extension.

So, now that I have switched back to yellow cable (the one producing green light was from an older model modem cable I had lying around), I have a yellow flashing light again, instead of green. The other two items are credit card machines for my business that are flashing green. No other choice of cables for those.

I am thinking out loud here: If there was a problem with any of the cables/hardware, would it not also act up on the wifi connection? I am able to access internet just fine if I connect via the wireless, it's only when I try to use the wired connection that I have the "No Internet Access" message.

Aside from all this, the rogers tech mentioned software issues. I kind of doubt it because everything was just fine until after the storm. I have no idea what kind of software things to look for.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Likely, in general.. the MODEM is fine.

If your getting internet on the wireless... the credit card machines, etc work ok... than its something more on the PC.

COULD be the network card/port, has blown 😞

First thing i would try, just to re-fresh it.. would be to go into the networking section in control pannel, and into the adapter listing.

Right click on the network card.. and disable it.

For good measure, i like to reboot here.

Then go back in, and re-enable it..

Durring all this.. is it getting a PROPER IP from the CGN3 i wonder?  Can you check the IP address?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ugh, I hope it's not something complicated.

When I clock on that Fix Connection Problems box on the Cannot Display Page of the internet, it does give me a message that says Reset Network Adapter. I dug around once after that and it said I didn't have an ip address and then asked for some kind of password stuff. I didn't know what to do so I left it and called Rogers. They said that those diagnostic things were usually too general. Do you suppose the card blew from the storm? I have everything else on a big surge protector, except the modem which is plugged into the wall.

I will try your refresh advice and see if it works, and update then...

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

If this is a desktop PC and you suspect the network adapter is fried then your easiest and quickest option is to buy a new network adapter card - you can get them for less than $20.  It sounds unusual that a storm would fry just one network component - if an electrical surge hit your ethernet you would expect other networking components to also have issues.  But I have a PC where the ethernert port on the motherboard stopped working so it is not unheard of.

Is it a desktop PC or a laptop.  What manufacturer and model?  How old?  Do you know if it has PCIe slots or PCI slots?

I am guessing it is not a laptop as laptops generally have wifi while desktops don't.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, first off, I tried the disable/enable of the ethernet connection with rebooting before re-enabling, and no change.

That said, yes this is a Desktop (HP Pavilion P7-1418) running windows 8.1. It was purchased in January of 2013 and I believe I do have extra warranty on it; either a year or two extra. It has both wired and wireless capabilities, hence my ability to get internet through wifi since the wired connection is not working.

As for PCIe or PCI, I have no clue what they are and where they are found? Can you tell me how to check this?

Oh, and my credit card terminals are not working either. Shoot! If everything was on a surge protector, shouldn't that have prevented the computer, or any part thereof, from frying? I think I will call Rogers again to see if they can investigate further. The odd thing is that while my printer/scanner etc. (Worforce 845) has the wireless signal enabled, I am also unable to print anything. Why is that? The wireless signals should be allowing me to use the printer to print and scan at least, but no.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even if the unit was plugged into a surge, if the cable line was not grounded, you could get a surge across the cable line which fried the modem.

First thing I would try just in case is do a full reset to factory on the cgn3. Hold down the reset button for like 30 seconds, then let it reboot. (You will need to re set up all your wireless security again)
If still not working on anything, I would think there is an issue with the cgn3. I would go and swap it at your closest rogers store.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That was going to be my next action. I spoke to Tech Support at Rogers again, and basically they couldn't see anything wrong again. He said that just because he couldn't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't one. Some or part of the modem may be fried. So he suggested the easiest thing would be to take the modem and swap it out, and if that doesn't help, then to check the network card. If it's the network card would that be covered under the extra warranty? Oh he also said it might be worth a try to reset the modem to factory settings and see if that helps. I will try that first before taking it in.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to stir the pot slightly, here is a link to the PC specs:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5295962&spf...

As usual, the LAN port is built into the motherboard.  The expansion slots are as follows:

• 1 PCI Express x16 (Gen 2.0)

• 3 PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)

• 1 PCI Express Mini Card (Gen 2.0)

There is only one PCIE x16 slot which will be used up by the video card.  So, if the LAN port on the motherboard is fried, you will either have to replace the motherboard or install a PCIE x1 LAN card.  

The interesting news is that the built in wifi is a Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi mini-card, which can actually be upgraded to a card which can run both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless networks.  So, if you ever desired to run the pc via wifi only, you should consider upgrading the card so that you can get out of the 2.4 Ghz crowd.

So, my first bet would be to swap the modem and go from there.  In the event that something is fried within the modem, you won't be sure about the LAN port on the PC until the modem is swapped.

One other point is to consider the surge protectors.  There are surge protectors, and then there are surge protectors.  You have to review the Clamping voltage, Energy absorption/dissipation, and Response time of the protector.  When you compare one against the other, you will see that there is a wide range of protection available across many products.  I think that people generally make an assumption that, "Ok, I've got a surge protector, I should be safe from lightning strikes or power line surges."  Unfortunately, with such a wide range of protection capability available, from very little to very good protection, that assumption may be overrated.  Not saying that is the case here, just pointing out the considerations of buying and installing a surge protector.  Personal opinion, if you are going down that path, consider that the surge protection will not protect you from a power outage, which if it happens, could cause a disk crash.  That is a considerably more painful event to recover from.  So, consider going to an uninterruptible power supply, which usually has plugs which will run off the battery and some which have surge protection only.  It doesn't have to be huge, just enough to run the pc and monitor so that you can shut down the pc in the event of a power outage or nearby lightning strike.

Here is are a couple of links that offer brief explanations:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/surge-protector7.htm

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-surge-protector/