cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps disconnecting

Pguy
I plan to stick around

I tried unplugging modem and 3rd party router.

This problem seems to happen more frequently. I am now entering the info into my phone (notes) - time/day of disconnection and duration.

It went down Tuesday and now today. I don't recall how long it was out last time. Maybe 30 min or 1 hr total?

I also use a wifi Smart TV.

It has reconnected a few times only to drop 5 mins (estimate) later. Sometimes the speed is normal but often, the connection is at a much lower speed suggesting a problem.

I am wondering if there's an issue.

*Added Labels*

1,031 REPLIES 1,031

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
For those of you running the CODA bridged with your own routers and with IPv6 enabled, are you noticing any packet loss when pinging an IPv6 address (e.g. the IPv6 address for google.ca)? Curious if it’s just me or if others have the same issue.

Do you have any forms of QoS or traffic prioritization enabled on your router and if so, have you tried disabling them and rebooting your router?

ablatt
I plan to stick around

I can ping the ipV6 address ipv6.google.com without packet loss.

1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 5.182/11.742/27.931/2.880 ms

This is from a MacBook Pro running Catalina using the built-in ping6 command.

Coda 4582 running .35 firmware in bridge mode with Asus RT-AC86U router running 82072 firmware.

My OFDMA is currently enabled.

This is happening to me as of yesterday 3pm.  We called Rogers this morning.  They can see it on their end.  My husband and I cannot work at all.  Our VPN is losing connection, we cannot do calls, we are unable to work from home.  To the point that we may have to go back into the office.  Rogers could not send anyone today.  They will not monitor it as we have a technician coming tomorrow morning.  I am hoping they resolve it.  Not sure how this happened all of a sudden as prior to this it was great.  We even upgraded our speed over a month ago.  Based on some of the forums I am not holding my breath.  This is an extreme inconvenience and for no help today at all we are very frustrated.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ablatt wrote:

I can ping the ipV6 address ipv6.google.com without packet loss.

1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/std-dev = 5.182/11.742/27.931/2.880 ms

This is from a MacBook Pro running Catalina using the built-in ping6 command.

Coda 4582 running .35 firmware in bridge mode with Asus RT-AC86U router running 82072 firmware.

My OFDMA is currently enabled.

I got similar results pinging dns.google.com  (Technicolor XB6 / OpenWrt router / DOCSIS 3.0 upstream)

Ping statistics for 2001:4860:4860::8888:
    Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 33ms, Average = 11ms

Never had any issues with IPv6 whatsoever and most of the traffic now flowing through my router is over IPv6.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks everyone.  My IPv6 packet loss (and associated micro disconnections) are very intermittent.  I can go days or even weeks without the problem, and then suddenly start having the micro disconnects.  This only happens with IPv6.  Everything is flawless 100% of the time with IPv4.  My CODA is bridged on .35 firmware.  OFDMA is DISABLED.  My router is an Asus RT-AC68U with the latest Asus firmware.  I don't have QoS or any other traffic prioritization enabled.

Also, you guys seem to have far better pings over IPv6 than I do.  For me, my pings over IPv6 seem to be around 30ms on average.  My pings over IPv4 are typically between 8ms and 12ms.

Prior to my CODA receiving the 7.x firmware, I had IPv6 enabled without any problems whatsoever for a very long time (ever since Rogers implemented it).  I only started having the intermittent IPv6 packet loss since the 7.x firmware versions.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed  If you are seeing performance issues with IPv6, the problem is (most likely) on Rogers' side, with the CMTS router serving you, or something in your local node that is delaying the forwarding of IPv6 packets.

If your CODA modem is in bridge mode, it should just be passing packets back and forth and not care whether it was an IPv4 or IPv6 packet.

If your CODA modem was in gateway mode then sure, I could see how an IPv6-related bug in its network stack could slow down IPv6 routing.  However, if I understand your previous posts correctly, you see the same problems whether you use the Rogers (CODA) gateway or your own router (with the CODA in bridge mode) -- and that further supports my theory that it has nothing to do with equipment in your own home.

And if there was some problem with your modem in bridge mode, then any slowness in packet forwarding should affect both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic.

CC: @CommunityHelps 

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Agreed. Thanks. I called tech support and they created a ticket for me but they’re refusing to send their maintenance crew to check the CMTS/node. They want to monitor my IPv6 traffic for a week. Problem is, it’s going to be difficult to re-enable IPv6 during work since my wife and I are on MS Teams calls all day. Re-enabling IPv6 will cause severe interruptions with our calls. What’s also odd is that even if I disable my IPv6 stack locally on my laptop (i.e. in my network adapter properties), I still have problems with MS Teams when IPv6 is enabled on my router. The only solution is to disable it completely on my router. I will call tech support back and push for them to send someone to look at the CMTS without needing to monitor my traffic.

Due to this problem, I’ve had to push out my Ignite TV migration for several more weeks until this problem is resolved. And I might need to cancel the migration altogether if Rogers can’t fix this. I just can’t risk moving to Ignite TV right now and then either having issues with my TV service (by keeping IPv6 disabled) or issues with MS Teams (by keeping IPv6 enabled). Currently I don’t need IPv6 enabled, and if I wasn’t considering a migration to Ignite, I would just leave it disabled indefinitely with my current setup on legacy Digital.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
 What’s also odd is that even if I disable my IPv6 stack locally on my laptop (i.e. in my network adapter properties), I still have problems with MS Teams when IPv6 is enabled on my router.

That does not make sense either... unless there are also some issues with your router with IPv6 enabled.

In some ways, you may be better off putting your CODA modem back into gateway mode, if possible.  That way, if Rogers does confirm a problem then they own the problem, and it's totally their problem to fix.

If I remember correctly, there are also a few ways that you can set IPv4 as the preferred protocol on Windows, through the Registry and via the command line.  (Microsoft had a nice TechNet or Documentation write-up on how to do this properly but I can't find the link.)

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Looks like just disabling the IPv6 stack in my network adapter properties (while keeping it enabled on my router) DOES work. I need to reboot my laptop after making the change. The change doesn’t seem to stick without a proper reboot.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:
Looks like just disabling the IPv6 stack in my network adapter properties (while keeping it enabled on my router) DOES work. I need to reboot my laptop after making the change. The change doesn’t seem to stick without a proper reboot.

Good to hear!  That DOES make sense.  🙂

If you ever make a major change on your router, such enabling or disabling a network protocol, it's a good idea to reboot it afterwards AND reboot the devices that connect to it,  For network clients, disconnecting from the network and reconnecting will often be enough.  However, if you are experiencing weird issues, a reboot will reset the network stack on the device and reinitialize the network applications and services that run on it.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Thanks. Just to clarify, I still have packet loss on IPv6. What I meant in my previous post is that I can eliminate the MS Teams issues by disabling the IPv6 stack on my laptop...that’s what I meant when I said “DOES work” 🙂 IPv6 in general is still very much broken and problematic for me so I’m still planning to push Rogers to send someone to look at the local CMTS.

@toolcubed when it comes to CMTS IPV6 issues, you need to be talking with a Level II tech.  The Level I techs won't have any idea of what you're talking about.  The alternative is to work with one of the forum moderators to report issues to the network engineering staff. 

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks Datalink.  Any suggestions on who to reach out to? 🙂  Otherwise, I can send a PM to CommunityHelps...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed wrote:

Thanks Datalink.  Any suggestions on who to reach out to? 🙂  Otherwise, I can send a PM to CommunityHelps...

For issues such as this, I would send a PM to the @CommunityHelps  team and get them engaged.  This way, you can also send them your test results and they can, in turn, attach them to a support ticket.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks!

Yup, I would agree with that 🙂

WorldIRC123
I plan to stick around
My internet continues to be stable since Rogers reenabled OFDMA.

stuhome
I plan to stick around

I was wondering what happened this morning....  

Signed in to work over the VPN and my Remote Desktops constantly kept freezing on me, requiring me to close out and reopen them.  Then I just had s conference call that was plagued with cut outs and missed chat.  That made me wonder if OFDMA had been re-enabled, of course I couldn't connect to the CODA, so rebooted it, and sure enough OPERATE was staring me back in the face... My signal levels have never looked so good though, I guess the Line Amplifiers have switched over due to the warmer weather, but they're all around -0.5 to +1 which I have never seen.

But alas, the drop outs are back.  I also noticed someone saying that their CODA is on 7.1.1.35 ???  I'm on 7.1.1.33.

Is that why it's not being reported as much, has a firmware update fixed the CODA?  Would love some advice please before calling in again.

Thanks

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

@stuhome , curious if your issues are really due to OFDMA being enabled, or if you're experiencing the micro disconnections as a result of IPv6 problems like I am.  Is IPv6 enabled on your end?  If so, I'm wondering if you'd still have issues after disabling IPv6...

stuhome
I plan to stick around

@toolcubed How do I see that? because you're right, they are short disconnects of maybe a second which is enough of a disconnect to drop the connection to RDP and on a VOIP call where nothing is heard.

I am in Bridged mode to an DLINK DIR-882, and in the Internet page, IPv6 is set to Local Connectivity only.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

I'm not familiar with D-Link products.  What do you mean by "Local Connectivity" only?  If you take a screenshot of your IPv6 settings and post here, we should be able to confirm whether or not it's enabled.  NOTE:  Make sure to block out your IP address before you post!!!

Edit:  Disregard.  I found the following D-Link support page (URL below).  Looks like "Local Connectivity Only" means IPv6 is, in fact, disabled (i.e. disabled on the WAN port).  So your issues don't appear to be related to IPv6.

https://support.dlink.com/mobile/main/mfaq.aspx?f=fy1VN6dQO2jDhMHqXF6fqQ%3D%3D