Internet Keeps Dropping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrickSv1
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

Downtown Ottawa internet slow late afternoon and night

My partner and i both work from home like a lot of people. We notice that through the day we are both able to work I interrupted with Vedic conferencing etc. However late afternoon and evening one of us can barely get a zoom or teams meeting with out dropping off and pausing. I assumed high speed internet was what the title says and my frustration level is though the roof. With my 2 devices, cable TV and 350gb of home data and paying 400 + a month I expect better. Anyone have suggestions or another provider that can I get a better deal.

Arekitect
I Plan to Stick Around

For the last 3 to 4 months my  Gigabit service has been affected on daily basis by short, but annoying service interruptions.

Every day, around 12:05 pm and 8 pm I lose service for exactly 3 minutes.  The interruption starts with the loss of upload bandwidth and within 30 seconds affects download as well. Each time, all channels on my Hitron 4582 modem stay connected.

Running traceroute during the outage shows interesting results:

Tracing route to 1.1.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 2494 ms 202 ms 12 ms 99.229.8x.1
3 14 ms 12 ms 15 ms 8082-dgw01.mtnk.rmgt.net.rogers.com [67.231.221.181]
4 9 ms 35 ms 38 ms 69.63.249.70
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.

And when the  service is restored:

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 27 ms 33 ms 14 ms 99.229.8x.1
3 22 ms 20 ms 13 ms 8082-dgw01.mtnk.rmgt.net.rogers.com [67.231.221.181]
4 13 ms 23 ms 14 ms 69.63.249.70
5 21 ms 25 ms 31 ms 0-5-0-5-cgw01.wlfdle.rmgt.net.rogers.com [209.148.233.201]
6 40 ms 41 ms 60 ms 209.148.233.102
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 34 ms 42 ms 36 ms one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]

You can clearly see, that after 3 successful hops, the modem fails to connect to 0-5-0-5-cgw01.wlfdle.rmgt.net.rogers.com [209.148.233.201].

So far I opened multiple support tickets, had the technician onsite verify the signal and wiring.

At this point I had enough out going through the routine troubleshooting, each time rebooting the modem, unplugging my 3rd party AP (always the culprit).

Rogers technicians sent onsite, confirmed the issue is NOT related to my house or the modem but are unable to do anything else. 

I see that there are multiple complaints on the forum linked to random service interruption, but were they ever resolved?

For people working from home, the Internet became an essential service and having calls drop every day in the middle of a sentence, never leaves a good impression.

Is there any escalation process with Rogers Tech Support that can look deeper into this issue?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Arekitect do you use 1.1.1.1 for your DNS?  And .... do you have any other services running such as Home Phone or Cable TV that suffer from the same service outage?

Arekitect
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there,

Thanks for responding to my post.

To answer your question:

My computer as well as other desktops use a wired connection directly to Rogers modem.

I can reproduce the issue on any wired device during the outage.

Rogers tech, verified signal strength and with 100% confidence determined the issue is NOT related to my house.

The fact that traceroute completed initial hops on Rogers network clearly indicates a larger issue with the network equipment along the way.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To me this looks like a network issue, not related to the modem or any connected device, but, the question remains, are you running a Rogers Home Phone or Rogers Cable TV service that also suffers from the same outages?  If so, that widens the scope of the problem and it might be easier to track down.

BrickSv1
I've Been Here Awhile

I have digital cable as well as it seems to freeze up like the old days. I’ve confirmed everything in house is good. I additionally removed power cords or other electronic devices that may interfere and little to no change. There are some digital channels that are worse than others and to the point they are not war cut Abel so to free ups.
Arekitect
I Plan to Stick Around

After experiencing timeout issues with the default Rogers DNS service,  I switched to Cloudflare as my DNS provider.

I made this change over 18 months ago and it's has been operating without any issues since.

I only subscribe to Internet service from Rogers, so I can't comment on a cable TV or home phone.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Arekitect is the modem set to run Dual mode (IPV4 and IPV6)?  If you don't remember the configuration,  can you log into your modem and navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY SETTINGS.  Is the Router Mode configured for IPV4 or Dual?  If it's set for Dual, that means that the modem and connected devices are using both IPV4 and IPV6 with IPV6 being the default address mode. 

Just trying to eliminate the possible causes.  

Have you considered switching DNS providers for test purposes?  Consider trying Rogers DNS (64.71.255.204 or 64.71.255.198), or Cira.ca or OpenDNS for a day or two, just to see if that stops the service outages.  I'd check the traces from you to any other DNS that you might want to try, just to ensure that you bypass the server at 209.148.233.201.  The DNS IP addresses for Cira.ca and OpenDNS are shown in the following links.

https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield

https://www.opendns.com/support-search/#?cludoquery=Getting%20Started%20with%20OpenDNS&cludopage=1

To get anywhere with this, one of the mods would have to pass it on to a level 2 tech to look at.  That tech should be able to run traces from your modem to 1.1.1.1 at the noted failure times to track down the issue. 

@RogersTony is on today, so he could start the ball rolling. 

Arekitect
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the suggestion on DNS changes. 

I reconfigured my modem to use the CIRA DNS service (149.112.121.10 and 149.112.122.10).

Also, my modem is configured in a Dual Mode, however, I changed the setting to IPv4 only, since there is no option to define custom IPv6 DNS configuration.

I will keep you posted throughout the week when I'm tied to the computer all day long and even the smallest service blip becomes apparent.

88dalejrfan
I Plan to Stick Around

Today, Rogers told me "the signal to your modem looks good" and to "try rebooting your modem". 😑

Obviously this didn't help. 12 outages today, 96 this month, and 206 since I began keeping count in October. Now onto the 6th attempt at having the neighbourhood team investigate (for visit #14), as the last senior technician was unable to identify the cause.

I've tried linking the neighbourhood team to this thread. I'm not sure if my request actually went through as I was told "your modem may not be connected to the same node" as the others in the thread... But that was precisely my point in linking them to this thread. There's something systemic going on here independent of local nodes. 

OFDMA... OFDMA... OFDMA...