Internet Keeps Dropping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

Hi all,

Is this supposed to be normal to have 15-30% packet loss at the modem and the point beyond? I've been running this for about 45 min.

***Link Removed for Privacy***

Similar to OP, i am having micro disconnects where my internet randomly drops at any point during the day. It disconnects for about 1 minute then connects for about 10 seconds before dropping again. It repeats itself for about 5 times before it stops for the rest of the day. Happens maybe every 1-2 days. Really frustrating to have it happen since August last year with many calls to Rogers and technicians showing up.

I Plan to Stick Around

@SuperStacks742 

we have all been experiencing this issue that you mention.. its due to the OFDMA being enabled. I believe you can check your cable modem signal page and near the bottom it should tell if it is in disabled or operate mode. I assume its operate, and hence why you have been experiencing these issues.

I've had multiple tickets, multiple line being monitor requested, multiple tech visits, and all has not been able to resolve my issue.

It is totally ridiculous that we all have to put up with this and getting absolutely no help to resolving this. I went to share a concern, and guess what, they replied that it is best to work with technical support. Technical support level 1 never seems to find anything wrong and blames it on my home networking equipment when I have done enough isolation test to know it isn't my own router. Not to mention how many times I ran using Rogers in gateway mode and still experience the same issues. 

At this point, I also think there is zero hope of getting this properly addressed by Rogers. Switching provider may be the only solution.

"some" people has been with better luck, switching to Rogers ignite wifi plan, but only with the Technicolor modems. However, I refuse to pay extra to Rogers in my monthly payment to resolve this issue which is clearly due to a Rogers infrastructure issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

@PizzaBear 

Oh wow. I just checked the signal page on the modem and i see the OFDMA enabled on channel 0 but disabled on channel 1. I didn't think such a feature could cause such a large headache for months on end without resolution.

At this point, i don't think it would get solved either considering how long it is happening. If rogers isn't able to fix this problem, i would hate to pay more and get the same crazy service as what i'm getting now with Ignite.

Much appreciated for your help.

I'm Here A Lot

I have Ignite and am using Roger's modem.  My internet was still dropping regularly when I was using wi-fi to connect to the internet.  After the last technician advised wi-fi would always be unstable even if I relocated the modem, I followed his advice and connected my laptop via a 50 foot ethernet cable to the Roger's modem.  I had one instantaneous drop but reliable internet since then.  Unfortunately the cable presents a major tripping hazard, so I will either have to disconnect it when not using the computer, or have someone reroute it so that it is off the ground and ideally not an eyesore.  The other house laptop is in the same home office with the modem and also connected via ethernet cable. When the internet dropped via wi-fi on my laptop, the other laptop connected via ethernet cable continued to be connected to the laptop.  Unfortunately, this solution will not work if / when I need to use the laptop elsewhere at home.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SuperStacks742 wrote:

@PizzaBear 

At this point, i don't think it would get solved either considering how long it is happening. If rogers isn't able to fix this problem, i would hate to pay more and get the same crazy service as what i'm getting now with Ignite.

Ignite Internet is based on the exact same cable Internet technology as the legacy Rogers Internet service.  The only thing that will be different is the modem, and you may or may not consider it an improvement.

I Plan to Stick Around

This is probably going to be a final update for me:

1. Since I switched away from Rogers, I've experienced bouts of high latency but no observable drops of connectivity, so I am considering this a win (not sure if it's just the new TC4400 modem - my last mile is still Rogers infra anyway).

2. Rogers has acknowledged my request to refund the last two months of service fees - I therefore consider the matter resolved.
I Plan to Stick Around

Glad you have a better connection now, @davidair . 

Progress is slow on my end. I had technicians #12 and #13 come out this past week. The latter swapped the splitter and cable indoors (again) and asked me to connect straight to the modem instead of my mesh system. I've tried this to, unfortunately but not surprisingly, no avail. Still getting the same drops. (I had installed the full version of Ping Plotter to allow me to do 24/7 monitoring, and there's no difference with what I'm connected to, or what hardware I'm using.)

I'm going to give this gentleman a call back on his next day in, as he seems to be the most diligent and caring of all the technicians I've had so far and left me with a way to directly elevate the ticket again. 

I'm still very much convinced this is an OFDMA issue. And my hands are a bit tied at switching from red to blue with the pandemic and management policies where I live.

Until then, online teaching through my cell phone it is!

I've Been Here Awhile

@gorgeous - it looks like we're having the exact same issue - intermittent, short outages. Awful with video calls. Did you find a solution? So far we have had multiple monitors from Rogers which found nothing, a tech came by and replaced a few things but didn't fix the problem, and a replacement modem. On our end, I've removed all devices from the network except one wired laptop which appeared to temporarily fix things, but after adding things back into the network one by one, the problem re-occured without any correlation to the specific device that was added back in. We've put in a pi-hole to see if we can catch any malicious DNS calls but haven't seen anything.  The outages don't seem to be heavily correlated to use (it went out at 4:30am today). 

Did you get an answer on your end? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mkelland  what modem do you have?  Is it the white Hitron CODA-4582?  There is only one white modem used by Rogers.  Have a look at the front of the modem.  If both downstream and upstream LEDs (arrows) are a light blue, that indicates that the modem is using an OFDM downstream channel and and OFDMA upstream channel.  The OFDM downstream has been in use for almost three years and is stable by now.  The OFDMA channel is newly enabled and appears to be causing disconnect issues.  That can be confirmed by looking at the DOCSIS WAN tab, specifically the bottom OFDM/OFDMA overview section.  You should see one of the two OFDMA channels enabled.  

If this is not the case, then you have other problems to contend with.  

For now, can you copy the entire table and paste it into a post.  Select the whole table area, from the top Downstream Overvies section, all the way to the bottom of the table.  Right click, Copy.   Then in a new post, right click .... Paste.  That should paste in the whole table as it appears in the modem.  

I Plan to Stick Around

@88dalejrfan

I am still getting disconnects and I have lost all hope in getting this ever resolved...
Getting tired of being entertained by tech support and being told they cannot find anything wrong.

How much money is Rogers bleeding for these useless tech engagements or service technician visits when it surely is wide spread to many customers. The ones posting in this community forum is only a small percentage of the customers impacted by this.