Internet Keeps Dropping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

I am on modem number 3 now.  To date, I have had filters installed on my line.  Then removed stating I did not need them. I have had techs into my home testing speeds, hardware, software.  A new line drop to my home, LOTS of tech visits with each one stating something different and no one ever correcting the problem.  Then, the last tech that showed up put a new big silver filter on my cable inside the box on the exterior of the home.  That fixed my speed and service to my modem.  I have a very large home.  it's 6000 sq ft on three levels.  The pods are positioned in my home to try to spread the signal.  They are terrible.  they cut in and out constantly,  they give me terrible speeds (much less than what I am paying for) and generally give my entire system fits.  

The same tech stated that a mesh network system is needed for my home in order for the ignite system to work correctly in my home and provide me with the speeds I expect (and pay for).   Rogers is unwilling to provide me with a mesh system to make  THEIR system work correctly and expect me to pay for that.  NOT HAPPENING.  They are going to provide me with the hardware to make THEIR system work as intended.  I would be twice as angry if I was paying for gigabit speed and using these pods and only being able to max out at 200mbps.  They are a farce IMO.  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Two days worth of shotty wifi. 500u. Work great when it works. My son is in the middle of class when the internet goes down. What am I to do now? I've done everything in the videos and feeds and so far nothing is helpful.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hello! We were a long time (10+ years) customer and after frustrating internet during covid we left. Not long after trying Bell and failing we took the step and got Ignite. 

We have had it less than 48 hours and it drops. Almost twice an hour in fact. It's not reliable and it's worse than before and worse than Bell. 

Should I just get rid of it altogether? I've put those stupid terminating caps on and everything.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been experiencing this same issue for the last few weeks as well (non-Ignite).  They sent someone around who claimed there was a rusty connector at street level and asked me to check connectivity now.  ?? Am I supposed to be able to summon an outage?  Anyway, he left and the back office people said the line signal is good, they don't see any drops on their side, alluding it is my router (I'm in bridge mode as well).  Yesterday we had 10-20 outages, each lasting about 2 minutes.  Today were were 'lucky' and had only 5-6 outages.

How does one crack this nut??

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds familiar... the tech also said the connector was rusty so he replaced. Rogers would ask you to reset the modem back to gateway mode. Hey, they need to understand the problem is from their end delivering stable signal to the modem. Having the modem in gateway or bridge mode doesn't matter. They have no idea how unreliable is the wifi on their modem!
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My speeds are great when its working. I know I live in a semi bad area even for 3g but I'm still in the gta so...its the constant dropping. And not just minutes lately. Its been hours...
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ECH1414, what would you move to?  Bell again?  You will not get your legacy system back now once you switch to ignite.  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi I have the following modem

Model:CGM4140COM
Vendor:Technicolor

So I use a wifi extender for my desktop while playing games such as league of legends on my desktop( The following is the most noticeable time, however the wifi for example will be down on devices such as my cellphone) the 5ghz network from my modem will repeatedly go on and off for 5mins or less. An example of this is playing the game and then a random disconnect for 30 seconds, getting into the game for another 15 seconds maybe and then it just repeats all over again several times until its all working good. This then may happen again maybe at a time like 2 am for example where internet usage is pretty minimal. Speeds seem to be fine too coming in at about 380mbps download and 16mbps upload. Not sure if the modem is overheating or just has issues, help would be appreciated and I can try to explain more if needed. Note that this has been happening for maybe 6 months or more I think.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So, in my case, I laid my hands on another router to take the place of the one I had this side of the cable modem (swap out TP-LINK AC1200 with oldler Netgear R6200).  It's been 3 days and no drops yet (fingers crossed).  Solved my own problem; Rogers not responsible.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kootybug try this:

modem ---> unmanaged gigabit switch ---> TP-LINK AC1200

just to see if isolating the router from the modem has any effect.  Then if the router is close to the modem, still in that configuration with the gigabit switch, move the router so that its not so close to the modem.  I'd go at least three feet, preferably six feet or more.   Then if that works, remove the gigabit switch but keep the same distance.  The question here is:

1.  is there an issue between the modem and the TP-LINK AC1200 router; or

2.  is there an EMI impact on the modem if the router is too close to the modem. 

Hopefully this will help determine where the problem might be.

What modem do you have? The product sticker on the back of the modem will show the modem model number.