Internet Keeps Dropping

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Keeps Dropping

@Yvonne626  Welcome to the Community!

A few users have reported a problem where Wi-Fi drops on their Ignite WiFi modem whenever their laptop connects to the network:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Ignite-WiFi-Gateway-XB6-Losing-internet-connection-mo...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unstable-WiFi-Network-With-a-New-Laptop/m-p/464098

Could this also be what is causing your Wi-Fi to drop unexpectedly?

It seems to be an incompatibility between the Ignite WiFi modem and Wi-Fi chipsets/drivers on some newer computer systems.  I don't know what other devices also trigger the reset.  A temporary work-around, that seems to make the problem go away, is to configure the problematic device to connect only on the 2.4 GHz band until this gets fixed.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have been losing internet frequently in the pass few months.  I have reported the problem a few times.  Modem was swapped once CODA-4582U.  Last technician visit said the connector outside my house has to be replaced.  Since then I am still experiencing lost of internet occasionally.  I noticed the modem lost the IP and cannot get one back.  Some time I can fix it by rebooted the modem.  However, many times it won't and I have to wait overnight and reboot the modem to get my IP back.

Should I swap my modem again or check anything else?  I am doing the ping test now to see if there is any time out.  It is happening very often so far.

Thanks a lot 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

We just made the switch to Ignite yesterday.  I've had to restart the modem 4 times now.  We haven't even had the service for 48 hours yet.  Pretty frustrating since my wife and I are both working from home and need internet up and running.  I was on the 150Mbps with no issues 2 days ago, and now I'm on a 1Gbps plan that disconnects every 5-6 hours. 

Rogers ran some diagnostics and scripts and said "the signal levels are not within the accepted range".  A tech is coming tomorrow morning to check things out.  I'm not optimistic about this given what I've read in this thread, but fingers crossed! 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

My internet has been very unstable for 2 days in the Toronto area. The connection keep dropping and the speed is incredibly unstable. Anyone has a clue what is going on with Rogers??????!

Highlighted

Hello, @Gracieing

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for posting your concern to our community. I know how frustrating it can be to deal with an unstable connection. 😞

We'll need a bit more information before we can assist you.

• Are you having issues when connecting to Wi-Fi and Ethernet, or do you only have Wi-Fi devices connected?
  • When the connection is dropping have you noticed any changes to the light pattern on the modem?
  • Have you run any speed tests when the speeds are poor to see what results you are getting?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps since noticing these issues, for example, rebooting the modem?

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony

Highlighted
I've Been Around

It’s been really intolerable for frequent interruptions of internet. My kids are suffering especially while doing their online studies as well their scheduled exams.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You folks are not alone.  Same here in Markham.

My internet had been stable until late Sept.  A case was opened ever since then with a tech came onsite.  Due to COVID-19, he did not come into my house but he found bad connector outside in the pole and he replaced.  Sound familiar with some other people had posted here.  

Internet keeps dropping throughout the day usually it comes back up in a minute or 2.  This already causes damage as we are all working and learning from home.  

The modem is on bridge mode.  When the internet is dropped off, my wireless devices are still connecting to my router so the connection to my router is good.  It is just no internet.  

Contacted Rogers via Live Chat this time the agent said connecting the modem to UPS, power bar is not recommended and causes issue.  Really?

My connection is now under monitoring so I am not allowed to even get my modem replaced.  No ETA provided when the investigation will be ended.  It is getting very annoying now.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

In my case,

• Are you having issues when connecting to Wi-Fi and Ethernet, or do you only have Wi-Fi devices connected?

All wired and wireless devices stay connecting to router but just lose internet connection.

• When the connection is dropping have you noticed any changes to the light pattern on the modem?

Some times all the lights look normal but some times all the other lights gone except the power.

• Have you run any speed tests when the speeds are poor to see what results you are getting?

Before the onsite tech came on Oct 4 replaced the "bad" connector in the pole on the street, Speedtest was inconsistent.  It is quite consistent with dl above 700 ul 16 (some time 24).  I would say the speed is OK when there is no internet drop.

• Have you tried any troubleshooting steps since noticing these issues, for example, rebooting the modem?

Yes.  Rebooted the modem many times.  I contacted via Live Chat and the agent ran a test from your end to my modem he found signal problem in my neighborhood.   

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Good luck, I have been going through this same song and dance for over 6 months now. They have fixed the issue of slow / intermittent internet at my modem, however, the wifi in my home is terrible. Anytime my devices connect to a "pod" it's super slow and continually drops service. I have had no other recourse than to file a compaint with the CCTS in order to get something done about it. I do not want to leave rogers, but I want reliable service as well.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What did they do to fix your problem?  Replaced you with a new modem?