Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out

@hptouchdroid13 can you edit your post and delete your WAN IP addresses please.

Your signal levels and signal to noise ratios are good.  From looking at those I wouldn't suspect that you would be seeing any issues.  Are you connected via ethernet or wifi normally?

You could run pingplotter to see if there is an issue with packet loss that might be causing an issue.  Have a look at the following post on how to do that:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

Instead of using Pingplotter, consider using Multiping.  Pingplotter has adopted a plotting method of averaging the average of the data points as you go up beyond 1 hour in display time, ie: to display a whole days worth of data.  At the present time with the latency thru the modem, unless you happen to be running V4.5.8.27 in your modem, you will see those high times when looking at a display of less than one hour.  As you cycle up in display times, those high times literally disappear, although the data is still in the data file.  Multiping apparently has a user selectable choice, display the max and min times or display the averages times.  So, that is food for thought. In any event, the goal is to look for packet loss times that might be resulting in a disconnect.  If so, monitoring the modem to CMTS path and seeing any packet loss will allow you to cue tech support to have a look at the issue.

https://www.multiping.com/

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink thanks for the advice. It is good to know that the line is good. I got a tech came in today and was told the line is okay and did not see any problem.

I am currently using it on bridge mode when it happened. I got a mix of devices connected wired and wireless, but most of the devices that uses it heavily are wired. Right now I am using it as a gateway and see if disconnection will occur.

I will try to figure out pingplotter or multiping and update the thread about the result.

Thanks for the help! 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hptouchdroid13 if you run a simple ping, using the windows ping command to ping the CMTS, that will show if in fact there is any packet loss.  Even if you see any packet loss with Pingplotter or Multiping, running the ping command will really determine if there is any packet loss occuring.  Personally I trust a simple ping command more than Pingplotter or Multiping.

What you can to is run the command and dump the results to a text file that you can review.  Use something like:

ping 99.xxx.xxx.xxx -t >C:\temp\pingtest.txt

That will run a continuous ping until you stop it with a Ctrl C command.  Then you can review the file.  

If you use something like:

ping 99.xxx.xxx.xxx -n 1000 you will see the results on the monitor, or you can dump the results to a text file:

ping 99.xxx.xxx.xxx -n 1000 >c:\temp\pingtest.txt

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Thanks. I will check it out. Sorry noob question, where I could find the CMTS IP? Is that the WAN IP from the status page of the router?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To determine the CMTS address run a trace to anywhere, google.ca, or others.  

1.  With the modem in Gateway mode and with a direct connection to the modem, the modem is the first IP address in the trace, the CMTS is the second IP address in the trace. 

2.  With the modem in Bridge mode and with a router in place behind the modem, the router is the first IP address in the trace, the CMTS is the second IP address in the trace.  The modem will be invisible to the trace.

3.  With the modem in Bridge mode and with a direct connection to the modem, the CMTS is the first IP address in the trace.  The modem will be invisible to the trace.

This works for both IPV4 and IPV6, so you can ping the CMTS using either IPV4 or IPV6 address.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Did the simple cmd ping and got 1000 received. It looks like all pings were received.

sample output:

Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=63
Reply from 99.247.48.1: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=63

Ping statistics for 99.247.48.1:
Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 244ms, Average = 23ms

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That looks fairly normal.  You can see the high time ping of 244 ms which is due to the latency of the Puma 6MG chipset.  I would guess that you are only running firmware version 4.5.8.22 or lower on your modem. 

1.  Can you look at the back of the modem for the product sticker and confirm what model of CGN3 you have; and

2.  Log into the modem and confirm what Software version (Firmware) is loaded.  That is found on the STATUS page which is displayed when you log into the modem. 

I Plan to Stick Around

System Information

This menu displays general information of the device

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 4.5.8.21
Gateway Serial Number  
HFC MAC Address  
System Time Sun, 11 Dec 2016 13:38:24
Time Zone UTC-05:00 Colombia, Eastern Time, Indiana(East)
LAN Up Time 000 days 01h:53m:44s
WAN IP Address
WAN Receiving 1.39G Bytes
WAN Sending 229.30M Bytes
Private LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1/24
LAN Receiving 231.58M Bytes
LAN Sending 1.31G Bytes
WAN Up Time 000 days 01h:50m:29s

Here is the system info of my router. I got a CGNM-3552. And I got some event that has warning and critical.

DOCSIS Logs

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah, ok, if you have a Chromecast device you should be requesting V4.5.8.22 from @CommunityHelps.  V4.5.8.27 which is a test version resolves that IPV4 ICMP latency that you see, but, it doesn't do the same for any other protocol.  We're all waiting for Intel and Arris to resolve this for everyone.  

While V4.5.8.27 cuts the ping times down, the real problem for gaming from what I can see is the use of UDP for in game communications.  In the case of UDP there is latency and packet loss.  That is due to the packet processing by the modems CPU instead of the hardware processor/accelerator.  So, unfortunately there is no resolution on the immediate horizon for UDP latency and packet loss.  The only solution would be to cut the data rate down and use a DPC-3825 which has a different chipset.  That has drawbacks as well as IPV6 is not enabled on it, however, for gaming purposes on anything but a Xbox, I don't believe it would be an issue.  V4.5.8.27 also results in a reduction in data rates, down to ~20 to 21 Mb/s on a CGNM-3552.  

As you can see, there are multiple issues on the go, some of which are far beyond Rogers or Hitron's control. That's not a great answer, but its basically the same answer for tens of thousands of Puma 6/6MG users. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I do have a Chromecast and might try to request for v4.5.6.22.

I do game every now and then. I am on the gigabit package getting speeds from 500Mb/s to 850Mb/s. The only problem is that it disconnects once a day. I just want to have a reliable stable connection. Hardware wise, what do you recomend? Also I do have a n66u router that i could use.