Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Pretty much every 15 to 20 minutes, my internet keeps failing me. It would cut out for around a minute or so and pop back up. As a gamer this is starting to get annoying. I'm using the SMC Gateway. Anyone have any idea if it's on the Rogers end or could something be wrong with the modem?

I've got an Xbox and my desktop plugged in and both lose the internet connection at the same time, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with them.

In the event log for my modem, I keep getting "Time:01/01/70 00:01:34, Level:critical, Content:No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" and a string of numbers and letters, coinciding with the times that I disconnect.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Is anyone using wireless as well at this time to the unit?
It seems that sometimes wireless will crap out on this and the cisco model, and cause the whole thing to reboot, so that is one possibility.

It could be signal loss to the gateway itself.  You can call and have a tech come out and test the signal strength into the house and to where the gateway is, incase thats the problem.

In the end, could be a faulty gateway, as well.

I'm Here A Lot

I've been getting the same thing for the past 2 weeks. On my 2nd router and also had a tech come out to replace some connectors and cables, and I'm still getting this. Rogers techsupport once again told me to replace the router. My guess is that its at Rogers head end and they won't fix it.

Routers that I've tried:

New Hitron - disconnected every hour at the same time, power cycled the router then the disconnects would start an hour later.

SMC- Disconnects not as random as the Hitron but still get quite a few a day.

This is getting old quick......

I'm Here A Lot

Just happened again, this is what I get.

Time:08/24/12 17:35:28, Level:critical, Content:No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time:08/24/12 17:35:29, Level:critical, Content:Ranging Request Retries exhausted
Time:08/24/12 17:35:29, Level:critical, Content:Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tried to do a little research on that error message.. it seems like people from just about any ISP have got it, with different modems, etc as well..

In the end, what that that message is.. with the docsis 3 protocol, apparently it goes out every 30 seconds or so, and almost does a ping type of thing... and these errors come up when it cant get a response to its ping.

Now it COULD be a signal problem, that its not getting the signal back properly.  (people have had theirs or their streets cable replaced and had it work fine).

Are you in a very densly populated arrea.. one thing i did read, it that when an ISP oversells an area, that there are too many on, it can almost get too congested that the answer doesnt make it back, etc.  In the end, if this is it, its rogers end.

I'm Here A Lot

ugh.....just as I hit post for my reply it disconnects......

Here is the just of my post...

Live in the city, never had a problem for the past 10 months until my Rogers router died. Get a replacement router been having this issue ever since. Going to take this router back tonight and see if the new one is better which I doubt....cause I dont think its the router.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am also seeing this issue. At first I thought it was my modem firmware (SMCD3GN), however, now I suspect it is a contention at the Rogers CMTS i.e. the CMTS is having problems because it is over-subscribed. Sometimes after I reboot the modem, the problem goes away for a week. Other times it comes back right away.
I'm a Senior Advisor

It is after reading threads like this one that make me happy that I have stuck with my rock solid D2 modem along with my own router. Yes, I realize there are disadvantages to the D2 technology including being ripped off by Rogers in not getting the advertised speeds and usage allowances. On the other hand, threads like this one seem to illustrate what total gar*bage Rogers is pawning off on its customers (both Internet and Cable TV). Come on Rogers - get your act together and start giving customers what they want - a good stand alone D3 modem. If not, be prepared to lose a lot more customers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If this is a pure d3 issue, than getting a stand alone d3 modem would have he same issue IHR 😛

But I am thinking this is primary in oversold areas. With the d3 gateway here, I have not had it happen once, but I am not in a huge population city either.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:
If this is a pure d3 issue, than getting a stand alone d3 modem would have he same issue IHR 😛

They would have the same issue if we assumed that all D3 modems are created equal. I would argue that they are not. Bugs in hardware and firmware create all sorts of nasty problems. The Motorola 6000 series stand alone D3 modems get rave reviews, the same as their D2 5000 series counterparts. Does Rogers offer these as an alternative to their current D3 offerings? Of course we all know the answer to that one! The current line of D3 gateways being supplied by Rogers are mediocre at best. Surely Rogers has more respect for their customers than they have shown in past few years!