Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Does the modem disconnect from the CMTS or do the devices disconnect from the modem?  Check the Lease Time as shown in the BASIC .... LAN setup page.  

Have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in that post, also log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message. The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem. The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

Hardware wise, I run my CGNM-3552 in Bridge mode with a RT-AC68U behind it.  Gig rates and routers are a growing problem.  Basically, at the present time, there isn't a home router that can keep up with gig rates and provide packet inspection, intrusion detection, etc, etc.  Its time to consider a separate firewall/router that has that capability such as a Pfsense, Opensense or others, built with a multi-core something running over 2 Ghz.  The real question is how much protection do you want to provide to your network.  If the goal is to run high rates and provide good protection, then that stand alone firewall/router is the way to go.  I'm beginning to think, if you can get a good core i3 or i5 cheap, during a christmas sale, that might make a good candidate to use for a build it yourself firewall/router.  That would require a second ethernet port via an addon card, but thats not difficult to do.  Or, you could look for a supermicro motherboard with 10 Gb/s ports on it and build on that.  With those 10 Gb/s ports, you would be set to go for several years.  

If you went that route, you could just keep your 66U for wifi as an access point.  

Personal opinion, going to a high end consumer router these days for gig rates is a waste as you pay a lot for wifi capability when the issue for gig rates is processing capability to provide network protection.  All personal opinion of course. 

I Plan to Stick Around

The modem disconnects from the CMTS I think and it takes time for the modem to get online (like last night got  disconected and just went back online this morning). Devices connected to the modem are working okay.

Here is the system info

Hardware Version1A
Software Version4.5.8.21

System TimeSun, 11 Dec 2016 14:15:21
Time ZoneUTC-05:00 Colombia, Eastern Time, Indiana(East)
LAN Up Time000 days 02h:30m:42s
WAN IP Address99.247.x.x, 2607:f798:804:95:542d:c5ee:1947:6d51
WAN Receiving3.11G Bytes
WAN Sending435.97M Bytes
Private LAN IP Address192.168.1.1/24
LAN Receiving439.35M Bytes
LAN Sending3.01G Bytes
WAN Up Time000 days 02h:27m:27s

What hardware do you recomend? Should I go for a standalone modem and use my own router? or I will be getting the same issue?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No matter what you run after the modem, the results will be the same.  What you want to run in terms of a firewall/router will depend on the speeds that you want to see and the level of protection you want for the network, as I have indicated above.

The next time that the modem drops offline, call tech support and ask the CSR to have a look at the modem.  In theory the CSR should not be able to communicate with the modem, so, the question at that point is, is this a single line issue, or is it an issue at the local tap, to which you and your neighbors are connected, or is it a wider area issue.  With the modem offline, that is the best time to call tech support, when the problem is underway.  Hopefully the tech can determine where the issue is and dispatch the right level of technician to attend to the issue.  Don't hesitate to call tech support.  Put the number on speed dial and don't be afraid to use it.  At the very least it will build a history or connection issues that will raise its visibility. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I might do the same setup and put it in bridge mode.But for now, I am going to test it as a gateway and see If I get the same issue.

Yeah, I am going to do that when it drops offline again and hope they could trace the problem.

Thanks for your input and I really appreciate your help! 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hptouchdroid13 make sure that you use one of the following configurations:

1. Modem in gateway mode, router in Access Point Mode.  If the router is in Router mode, you end up with a double NAT situation which would cause problems.

2.  Modem in Bridge mode, router in full Router Mode. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Will do. 🙂 Thanks again!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@hptouchdroid13 wrote:

Flaky internet connection

I always get a diconnection once a day and the router(CGNM-3552) is having a hard time re-establishing a connection. I only got the service for a week and it is not looking good.  Here is some information that might help for troubleshooting.

@hptouchdroid13  I am having issues with my internet cutting out also at odd times.

Can you go to your Task Manager and see how much RAM memory you have, how many processes you are currently running and what % of your RAM memory is being used. In my case I have tried diagnosing the problem and someone on the " Microsoft customer support forum" (yes.. we customers have to support each other) suggested I am running out of RAM when I launch another application while my browser is open. Win 10 then closes the browser if it is inactive.  Sheer speculation at this point, but something to consider. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@User14 I don‘t think my PC RAM usage affects my connection issue. I think my issue was more on the modem’s WAN connection.

@Datalink  I am also having my internet cut out, or hang up trying to connect. I have already exchanged my modem.  Typically I have 9 apps running, with 100 background and 40 windows processes. Memory usage is around 80% and CPU is around 15- 20% usually. 

I saw your suggestion to use PingPlotter so I set it up to monitor imap.mail.yahoo.com 98.138.74.44

I let it run, and most of the day I got a black line moving within the green area (100ms).

However around 12:00 noon I had the error message "IMAP cannot connect to the server" on my Outlook screen when checking my email. I looked at PingPlotter and did a screen capture of what it looked like at 11:45 am. Everything goes red for about 4 minutes. I also noted that the Packet Loss PL% for my refurbushed CGN2-ROG modem was always around the 20% range going between 14% and 25%.

Later in the day I captured a second image from around 4:00 pm showing huge latency stats.  None of this looks normal to me. What information should I capture from PingPlotter to send to Tech Support to determine if I have a signal line problem, a modem problem or something else? 

Pingplotter result.png

Pingplotter result 2.png

I finally went on line to chat with Tech Support. 

I got the usual pop-up this morning while composing an email.

IMAP server closed the connection 2.png

I tried to google Rogers right away but I got the next pop up.

Google - There is no internet connection.png

I usually have to wait a little bit for the internet connection to re-establish so I can finally log into Rogers Tech Support chat line.

I explain what happens but because I have an iPhone and an iPad they want me to confirm that I have the same problem with those other devices. The dropped connection does occur on the iPhone but I didn`t have Rogers email on my iPad which I have now added. When I go to my iPad mail settings, it does not indicate what kind of connection it is.  I assume it is an IMAP connection, but can anyone confirm?