Internet Dropping wifi connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Internet Dropping wifi connection

Drops 10-15 times a day

Router is a CISCO DPC3825, located on 2nd floor

We are new to Rogers 

Not sure if router issue or Internet into home issue

I do not think location of router is issue as have had two previous homes over 8 years, with router on 2nd floor with maybe 20 dropped connections in those 8 years. 10-15 a day is not viable for us

Any clues

Many thanks 

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Dropping wifi connection

Hi,

Looks like you’re in a similar situation as this earlier post from this morning:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/201...

I think the ultimate answer will be the wifi performance of the 3825 compared to your previous wifi router. From what I remember, the 3825 is a 2.4 Ghz wifi router only. Can you have a look at the following questions:

What devices are you connecting to the modem, both wired and wireless? 

Are you in an apartment / condo now or in a single home?

Are you running a Guest Network by any chance, which needs the USB setup key in order to set the network up? 

Can you log into the modem, navigate to Status.....Docsis Wan and copy the Downstream Channel data and Upstream Channel data and post it into this thread just to check the incoming cable signal levels.  Don’t worry about how it looks when it pastes in, I'll clean it up when I look at it.  Just a quick copy and paste....

If you have a wireless laptop available, can you load inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  It comes in both PC and MAC versions.  When it’s loaded, bring up the network display, do a screen capture and post it somewhere if you can, so that I can have a look at it.  That will give me, and you an idea of what your wireless environment is like and what the received wireless power levels are like.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

That’s a link to the last freebie version of insider which covers 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.

I'm Here A Lot

Question

What devices are you connecting to the modem, both wired and wireless

Two Laptops

Three US Cell phones ( wifi only )

Two Tablets

Playstation 3

Everything is wireless

Our previous provider you could add two more playstations, one more cell, one more tablet and near zero problems

It's a two storey home

Question

Are you running a Guest Network by any chance, which needs the USB setup key in order to set the network up

We were given a USB set up key, but never used it

I will take a look at the wifi analyser

I'm Here A Lot

Will the Netgear wifi Analytics be good instead of inSSIDer

I'm a Trusted Contributor

The bottom line FreddyD is that all of the wifi modems from Rogers are gar*bage. Not one of them will perform as advertised. People will come on here and over analyze this to the ends of the moon to try and solve the problem for you. Rogers does not care either - they keep inflicting these gateways upon us. The only real solution, until Rogers decides that a good solid stand alone modem just might be an option, is to bridge your current modem and use your own Router! Instructions for bridging are here. http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?Ntt=bridge+mode&_nfpb=true&N=&_pageLabel=support_results This is the only real option with the equipment provided by Rogers!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you could post the network listing, that might do most of the job.  inSSIDer presents the networks in a graphical fashion that allows you to see channel overlaps which is very useable.  That would be good to have a look at.  I'm also interested in the receive power of your network compared to your neighbors wifi router and whether or not your particular 3825 is transmitting a ghost network, which results from using the USB key to setup a guest network.  If that is a recycled 3825, it is a good check to carry out, just in case.  You can tell if its a ghost network by the fact that it's missing the SSID (network name)  and by the fact that all but the right hand digit in the MAC address is the same as your network.  If you pulled the power on the 3825, you would see both networks power down and disappear from the network list.  Apply power, and they would both pop up again.  So, simple check to see if that 3825 is transmitting 2 networks instead of 1.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohhnyRockets, I wouldn't necessarily say that.  I found the SMC router to be pretty reliable, right up to the very day that it died.  RIP SMC router.  I'm running the CGN3 right now, using the 5 Ghz network and am pleasantly surprised that it works as well as it does, although it doesn't get heavy gaming type use.  Not everyone has tremendous demands on the wireless side of the house, and not everyone wants to go through the hassle of running a second router and learning how to set it up.  Ideally, you're right, a stand alone modem would be really nice to have, but, the whole industry is going combo modem / routers, not just Rogers, and people at other ISPs are equally as upset.  From the users perspective, a choice would be ideal, from a company perspective, just like any company that runs a fleet of "objects" standardization cuts costs, and Roges isn't the only company to do that.  Not defending the practice, just saying that is the way business thinks, despite our objections.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

Ideally, you're right, a stand alone modem would be really nice to have, but, the whole industry is going combo modem / routers, not just Rogers, and people at other ISPs are equally as upset.  From the users perspective, a choice would be ideal, from a company perspective, just like any company that runs a fleet of "objects" standardization cuts costs, and Roges isn't the only company to do that.  Not defending the practice, just saying that is the way business thinks, despite our objections.

In the U.S., a lot of ISPs (including Google Fiber!) do not provide equipment capable of being bridged... others (e.g. Comcast) encourage people to buy their own straight modems or gateways, which begs the question of how they are going to handle having a gazillion 8-channel D3 modems in the field along with customers on unlimited 100+ megabit plans. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats exactly it.. Shaw cable internet is already droping their 150 package apparently, as they are getting too bogged down with only the 8 channel modems.

While its not the BEST.. all in all, having a middle of the road unit, which is CAPABLE of bridging.. makes support easy from the supplier end... basic usage for basic users.. and bridging capable for those who want more.

I'm a Regular

way too much info and speculation... 

first thing to look for are frequent timeouts in the DOCSIS log... if you are getting timeouts, than Rogers has to fix your problem

this is the first place tech support should look in the case of frequent disconnects... there is a 90% chance timeouts between the router and the source are the cause... could be networks, servers, cable from the pole, cable into your house, the cable end connected to the router, inferior splitter or simply cable not connected well... in the worst case, Rogers has issues in the neighborhood and can't handle the overall load.. tech support can check other routers nearby to see if neighbours are getting timeouts as well

look for critical errors in the log before going any further... you need to look for Ranging - no Response errors... they will typically be followed by timeout errors

eg.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27272216-DPC3825-Ranging-no-Response-Received-every-night 

Wed Jul 18 03:02:31 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Tue Jul 17 07:02:55 2012 68010300 Error (4) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...
Tue Jul 17 07:01:21 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Mon Jul 16 19:44:08 2012 84020300 Warning (5) MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=00:23:be:e1:56:7c;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:5...
Mon Jul 16 19:44:08 2012 84020200 Warning (5) Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=00:23:be:e1:56:7c;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:c...
Mon Jul 16 19:20:07 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Mon Jul 16 07:02:55 2012 68010300 Error (4) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...
Mon Jul 16 06:58:49 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Sun Jul 15 20:03:54 2012 84020300 Warning (5) MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=00:23:be:e1:56:7c;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:5...
Sun Jul 15 20:03:54 2012 84020200 Warning (5) Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=00:23:be:e1:56:7c;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:54:c...
Sun Jul 15 19:33:28 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Sun Jul 15 07:02:55 2012 68010300 Error (4) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...
Sun Jul 15 07:01:15 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Sat Jul 14 07:02:55 2012 68010300 Error (4) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...
Sat Jul 14 06:29:35 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Fri Jul 13 07:02:55 2012 68010300 Error (4) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...
Fri Jul 13 06:29:02 2012 82000500 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Tue Jul 10 20:52:46 2012 84020300 Warning (5) MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=00:23:be:e1:56:7c;CMTS-MAC=00:1b:5...