Internet Disconnecting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet Disconnecting

For the past few months we have been having horrible issues with our internet, both WiFi and cable (as seen with Netflix on the TV).

It will still show connected, but is actually not somehow.  The Netflix will say it has no connection, or searches will not complete online, or pages will fail to load. And yet all indicators say internet is active.

We have reboot the modem multiple times but we should not be required to do that should we?  Aren't we paying for internet connection and not for partial connection when we can reboot the modem.

It used to be intermittent, but it can be down for up to hours at a time, such as overnight ( I'm not saying we're up trying at 2am, but we go to bed at 11am and wake up at 5am and it's not working then).  And it seems like once an hour at least it will cut out.

We have had a tech come out and say the signal is good, but the new modems that are being issued may help.

Under the circumstances, being that we are paying for a service that is not being adequately provided, would we be eligable for a replacement or free modem upgrade?

Anyone else experience this?

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: Internet Disconnecting

Hi @SuperFireFry

That must be frustrating to deal with. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on with your internet.

What type of modem are you using? Also what internet package are you on?

You can definitely swap your modem at a retail location to see if that helps.

Let us know so we can further assist!

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ha! It's down right now. This is sent via cell data.
We have 120 Extreme and the CGN2-ROG Hitron modem.
Tech said Rocket one might work more reliably.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is that speed allowed on the CNG2?  I thought the CGN2 was restricted to 30Mb/s or less due to Rogers modem policies??  Can you confirm via the product sticker at the back of the modem which modem it is.  Just want to be sure.  And, when the service is back up, can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Time to start with the basics and check the modem signal levels.  It would actually be good to see two cases for those signal levels:  1. when the service is up and running, and: 2.  When its down.

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hey @SuperFireFry - Let's all work together to get you up and running!

I have a question, about the your connection. When you are connected but not actually online, am I understanding correctly that your Local network is up but no internet connection from the outside world?

As in, it still see's your wifi or modem (via ethernet) but when you attempt to connect to netflix or even google it can't connect?

If so, I would suggest swapping modem

Actually, while you are at it, maybe the IGNITE package would be a better option... If you have the Extreme (35mbps with 120GB); I recommend IGNITE 60 (60mbps with 200GB) will be cheaper and Newer Modem, CGN3 aka Advance Wifi Modem or CGN3-AC aka Rocket Modem will be provided at no cost... you might want to call in to customer service, and see your options for newer package - as it might work out for you easy.

ALSO.
If package and modem aren't the issue.
My last check would be cable line...
@Datalink can correct me on this - but if the signal is cutting in and out for few months, it might not be the modem (as it should have gotten worse if the modem is dying out, no?), but it could be a connection failure - which may be rather a technical support call and a new line / replace cable line might need to be done by a technician.

(Still recommend calling in to customer service for the IGNITE Internet plan, as that will swap your modem anyway)

Throwing idea's out there.
I Plan to Stick Around

There was a tech out who said the signals are fine.

We signed up for the Internet available and we're not technical so correct me if I'm wrong, but would this not be on Rogers to provide their end of the contract in AN INTERNET CONNECTION PERIOD?

I shouldn't see bars or status symbols indicating all is well yet have no Web pages open or Netflix programs running.

And yet I do, and when I say there's an issue and I've googled this and I'm not alone, the first thought is try an upgrade. I'm not even getting what I'm paying for. Why would I pay for more.

And believe me, I know how to read a sticker on a modem. Everything I say I have is correct.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not doubting anything that you have said or are saying.  The fact that you have to reboot the modem to see it reconnect is symptomatic of cable signal issues.  The reboot can result in temporary relief from those issues, but it doesn't resolve the underlying cause of the problem.  If there are issues going on at the neighborhood node which cause temporary fluctuations in the signal levels,  there is a good chance that the tech did not see those when he or she was at your home.  That can happen, and sometimes it takes several tech visits to get to the root of the problem.  In some cases that we have seen here in the forum, several tech visits in a row can lead to further maintenance action at the node level which the tech cannot undertake.  So, persistence with tech support is the key, as well as keeping a running diary of the signal levels and download / upload speeds when you are having problems.  @CommunityHelps can step in and provide further assistance when ongoing problems are not being resolved by tech support. 

There are two sides to the problem that you are having, the cable signal side, and the wifi signal side.  The cable signal levels we can diagnose fairly quickly, just have to see them. 

To resolve the wifi issues, the easiest way to do that is to load inSSIDer onto a laptop.   This is a wifi monitoring application that can help you determine if you have problems with the wifi transmitter on the modem, or competition for the channels that you are using.  This version is a freebie version and will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  It does not show 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, but there is a newer pay version out that does.  Load that on a laptop, hopefully dual band and have a look at your wifi environment to see how many other modems and routers are running nearby, and whether or not any them are running on the same channel or overlapping channel which will definitely cause problems.  Also have a look when the wifi is running to your satisfaction to see the received power levels at the laptop, and then again when you are having problems.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

The outcome of looking at both the cable signal levels and wifi power levels in good and bad operating conditions will hopefully determine if this is either a cable issue, or a wifi issue.  If you have any questions regarding the inSSIDer display or are not sure of how to interpret it, you can either send a screen shot via private message or post the screen capture somewhere and paste the link into the thread.  If you do post it, please remove your modem's MAC address from the screenshot first.

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @SuperFireFry

Let’s see if we can turn this experience around for you by looking into your internet connection.

To assist you with your service we would need to access your account.

I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps. Please check our message via the envelope icon that appears on the top right-hand side of your screen when you are logged in to the forums.

@RogersPrasana