cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Various disconnect problems have been reported back in 2012 all the way through to 2015 from what I can tell. I have read most of them and the tendency is to blame it on adaptors, modems, applications, etc. and rarely on the Rogers line. When this happened to me, I tried tracking the connection with Pingplotter for 2 weeks and I did notice breaks up to 4 to 6 minutes with the Rogers connection. It was not always at the same time. Sometimes around 9 am, sometimes 11 am, rarely in the afternoon or in the evening.  I have included an image of what a break looks like with Pingplotter for the imap.mail.yahoo.com server connection. Using Win 10 with Office 2010 in Outlook the pop up error is always 'Your IMAP server closed connection' so I thought I would track that connection with the Outlook application left on throughout the day.  There could also be a problem with the Outlook setup as this pop-up can appear every hour or every time you have selected a scheduled send-receive query. That is a different issue that I am not addressing here but the IMAP pop error would be on my screen two of three times indicating the connection dropped. This post is for the observation that the internet connection on the Rogers line does actually cut out for short durations at times! Below is only one screen capture out of many over the two weeks of monitoring the IMAP server.

Pingplotter result.png

Reporting this to Tech Support resulted in a query:  Does this happen on all your devices?... with no further follow up.  It is difficult to watch all your devices at the same time, and the breaks are only for short durations, sometimes only two minutes and then it reconnects. By the time you try to switch on your other devices the connection is re-established. Finally it did happen with my iphone so I wanted to post this here to get some feedback from other users.

So my question, before going back to Tech Support, is quite basic:  Has anyone else tracked their Rogers internet connection to see if they have breaks like the one shown above?   It would be nice to know when discussing it again with Tech support.  

***Edited Labels***

75 REPLIES 75

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

User14

@lighter  First post?  Note  PM = Private Message.  Go to your user ID at the top right and an chose the little envelope option to compose and send the private message to  @CommunityHelps as suggested by gp-se.

Good luck.

lighter
I've Been Here Awhile

@gp-se thank you, I will give that a shot after they visit on Monday and confirm if it is a bad wire (which I am certain it is).

lighter
I've Been Here Awhile

Just an update ...

One of the mods reached out and advised me to swap the modem. When I advised that I already had... I believe he* advised me to join the beta firmware for the COD modem. I advised I did not want to because I use my internet for work and I can't risk more issues.

He* advised that there has been a known issue with the COD (White Modem) having data stall issues and suggested switching back to the Rocket (CGN) modem.

Swapped back and can say no more issues what so ever... consistent download speed tested several times with the old modem it would happen every single time.

I disliked the CGN because of wifi issues but I'll take that over data stalls and random speed drops.

Thank you, everyone, for the help!

User14

@lighter wrote:

Just an update ...

He* advised that there has been a known issue with the COD (White Modem) having data stall issues and suggested switching back to the Rocket (CGN) modem.

When Rogers Tech Staff know there is an issue such as this with a modem, where do they post it so clients know as well?  I also think Rogers got rid of their suggestion\idea area on this forum, so where do you make suggestions now?

User14

@User14 wrote:

@lighter wrote:

Just an update ...

When Rogers Tech Staff know there is an issue such as this with a modem, where do they post it so clients know as well?  I also think Rogers got rid of their suggestion\idea area on this forum, so where do you make suggestions now?

It looks like the suggestion box still exists.  

Community-Questions-Suggestions

I'll go there with the suggestion to post known issues, like the modem problem somewhere prominently on this forum.