cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Various disconnect problems have been reported back in 2012 all the way through to 2015 from what I can tell. I have read most of them and the tendency is to blame it on adaptors, modems, applications, etc. and rarely on the Rogers line. When this happened to me, I tried tracking the connection with Pingplotter for 2 weeks and I did notice breaks up to 4 to 6 minutes with the Rogers connection. It was not always at the same time. Sometimes around 9 am, sometimes 11 am, rarely in the afternoon or in the evening.  I have included an image of what a break looks like with Pingplotter for the imap.mail.yahoo.com server connection. Using Win 10 with Office 2010 in Outlook the pop up error is always 'Your IMAP server closed connection' so I thought I would track that connection with the Outlook application left on throughout the day.  There could also be a problem with the Outlook setup as this pop-up can appear every hour or every time you have selected a scheduled send-receive query. That is a different issue that I am not addressing here but the IMAP pop error would be on my screen two of three times indicating the connection dropped. This post is for the observation that the internet connection on the Rogers line does actually cut out for short durations at times! Below is only one screen capture out of many over the two weeks of monitoring the IMAP server.

Pingplotter result.png

Reporting this to Tech Support resulted in a query:  Does this happen on all your devices?... with no further follow up.  It is difficult to watch all your devices at the same time, and the breaks are only for short durations, sometimes only two minutes and then it reconnects. By the time you try to switch on your other devices the connection is re-established. Finally it did happen with my iphone so I wanted to post this here to get some feedback from other users.

So my question, before going back to Tech Support, is quite basic:  Has anyone else tracked their Rogers internet connection to see if they have breaks like the one shown above?   It would be nice to know when discussing it again with Tech support.  

***Edited Labels***

75 REPLIES 75

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

@TCarneiro, I would call Customer Service and indicate that based on your problems and information arising from those problems, the Engineering staff has found a modem chipset issue that prevents you from utilizing your internet service for the intended purpose.  I would be asking for a a full credit and reduced rate going forward until the problem is fully resolved.  If you're thinking about switching ISPs as a result of this, but contract penalties prevent that, perhaps any penalties would be waived considering that you can't use the service for its intended purpose.  Don't know where that discussion might lead, but, you should be pressing the issue no matter what your intentions are in terms of remaining with Rogers or switching to another ISP. 

If there is any discussion on the fact that there is nothing on file (an assumption here) then you should direct the customer service rep to this thread. 

TCarneiro
I Plan to Stick Around
Still waiting for the issue to be resolved =/

RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@TCarneiro I understand how you feel. The issue Dave found seems to be a pretty critical issue but I'm not sure why we haven't heard of any progress as of late. 

lighter
I've Been Here Awhile

Bad Wire into my Condo

I have been experiencing an issue with my connection for the past 3 years. Rogers has swapped modems, changed wires and logged tickets.

I had one technician spend 3 hours and figured out that there 2 separate connections that run in to my unit from the TAP.

It appears why was very bad and had poor signal. He ended up using the second connection but it appears that it might be bad as well. My data stalls, websites take forever to load, downloads freeze. 

Spoke with 2 techs over the phone today 1 suggest I swap out the modem which I did and still experiencing the issue. Called back and the other one said she will send out a tech.

My question is if the wire coming in to my unit (condo building) then what options do I have? I don't see how they run a new wire to my unit?

Any one have experience with this? What does Rogers do? Am I SOL?

Someone help!

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@lighter wrote:

Bad Wire into my Condo

I have been experiencing an issue with my connection for the past 3 years. Rogers has swapped modems, changed wires and logged tickets.

I had one technician spend 3 hours and figured out that there 2 separate connections that run in to my unit from the TAP.

It appears why was very bad and had poor signal. He ended up using the second connection but it appears that it might be bad as well. My data stalls, websites take forever to load, downloads freeze. 

Spoke with 2 techs over the phone today 1 suggest I swap out the modem which I did and still experiencing the issue. Called back and the other one said she will send out a tech.

My question is if the wire coming in to my unit (condo building) then what options do I have? I don't see how they run a new wire to my unit?

Any one have experience with this? What does Rogers do? Am I SOL?

Someone help!

@lighter

Send a PM to @CommunityHelps ask them to check the tech notes on the account, maybe they can get maintenance involved to replace the bad line.