Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 515

Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

Various disconnect problems have been reported back in 2012 all the way through to 2015 from what I can tell. I have read most of them and the tendency is to blame it on adaptors, modems, applications, etc. and rarely on the Rogers line. When this happened to me, I tried tracking the connection with Pingplotter for 2 weeks and I did notice breaks up to 4 to 6 minutes with the Rogers connection. It was not always at the same time. Sometimes around 9 am, sometimes 11 am, rarely in the afternoon or in the evening.  I have included an image of what a break looks like with Pingplotter for the imap.mail.yahoo.com server connection. Using Win 10 with Office 2010 in Outlook the pop up error is always 'Your IMAP server closed connection' so I thought I would track that connection with the Outlook application left on throughout the day.  There could also be a problem with the Outlook setup as this pop-up can appear every hour or every time you have selected a scheduled send-receive query. That is a different issue that I am not addressing here but the IMAP pop error would be on my screen two of three times indicating the connection dropped. This post is for the observation that the internet connection on the Rogers line does actually cut out for short durations at times! Below is only one screen capture out of many over the two weeks of monitoring the IMAP server.

 

Pingplotter result.png

 

Reporting this to Tech Support resulted in a query:  Does this happen on all your devices?... with no further follow up.  It is difficult to watch all your devices at the same time, and the breaks are only for short durations, sometimes only two minutes and then it reconnects. By the time you try to switch on your other devices the connection is re-established. Finally it did happen with my iphone so I wanted to post this here to get some feedback from other users.

 

So my question, before going back to Tech Support, is quite basic:  Has anyone else tracked their Rogers internet connection to see if they have breaks like the one shown above?   It would be nice to know when discussing it again with Tech support.  

 

 

 

***Edited Labels***

 

I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 338

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

@User14 @RogersDave 

 

Lets take a different approach on this and focus on the Modem itself vs. what happens to the servers. On the server side, there are other variables to contend with which may/may not be correlated to what you see. 

 

In my situation, I notice that my internet issues correspond to the modem logs when I get messages that list the following events:

 

Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;

warning Lost MDD Timeout

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

 

Whenever I get errors like this, my internet connection goes offline and the modem loses sync.  I been seeing this quite a bit lately in the last week on my CODA modem.  

 

If you can see this and find a timestamp that matches with what you logged, we may be on to something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 515

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.


@mahomed wrote:

@User14 @RogersDave 

 

Lets take a different approach on this and focus on the Modem itself vs. what happens to the servers. On the server side, there are other variables to contend with which may/may not be correlated to what you see. 

 

In my situation, I notice that my internet issues correspond to the modem logs when I get messages that list the following events:

 

Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;

warning Lost MDD Timeout

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

 

Whenever I get errors like this, my internet connection goes offline and the modem loses sync.  I been seeing this quite a bit lately in the last week on my CODA modem.  

 

If you can see this and find a timestamp that matches with what you logged, we may be on to something. 

 

 

 


I thought it might be the rented modem also, so I exchanged it on 9 Dec 2016 with another refurbished modem.

At the time all parameters were within standard limits and the logs didn't reveal anything unusual.

 

Downstream Power (-15dbmV to +15dbmV) - measure of the signal level received by the cable modem
Most modems are rated from -15dB to +15dB, however it's best to have it between +8dB and -8dB. Anything less or more than that and you may have quality issues. You can remove splitters on the line if you need to raise and clean up your signal level a bit. You can also use a tap (directional coupler) to get a cleaner signal to the cable modem instead of a splitter.

Upstream Power / Modulation(37dbmV to 55dbmV) - the strength of signal transmitted by the cable modem
Generally a lower this number is better. Above 55dB will most likely cause problems, over 57dB and you probably won't be able to connect. Ideally between 42 and 50dB. Lower than 40 may start introducing some packet loss (especially if you have much noise on the line). If you hit 58 the modem will likely drop the connection and resync. 

Signal/Noise Ratio (SNR , >30dB) - measure of how clear the signal is
SNR is best over 30, (the higher the better, might work well with as low as 25 at times). Anything less than 25 will cause dropped connections, packet loss, slow transfers, etc. This is true for both the "DownstreamSNR" and the "Upstream SNR", which may be different values. Typically, cable modems show the Downstream SNR, the Upsteram SNR can only be calculated at the remote end of the coax (usually at the node). Just remember that higher SNR means cleaner signal. A value well over 40 may mean you have too much power.

In this case, changing the modem made no difference whatsoever.  As an aside - the person at the store had not even heard of "speed boost" for downloads when I made the exchange so I didn't get into any detailed explanation of my internet disconnect problem(s). 

 

Be advised that I may also have two problems which makes this diagnosis difficult.  The Outlook IMAP disconnect is easy to recognize when it happens.  When an internet connection is dropped for a couple of minutes you have to be on the computer doing something to actually notice it. When it happens on Google  the error messages are different.  I believe this is something that is happening with the ISP but I need to know if anyone else has tracked their internet connection status with Rogers to be sure.

 

Google - There is no internet connection.png

 

Google hang up - Aw, Snap.png

 

I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 338

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

@User14

 

Your comment about the Upstream Power / Modulation(37dbmV to 55dbmV) - the strength of signal transmitted by the cable modem is partially correct.

 

With the changes to the rogers network, getting values in the 30's is fine as @Datalink and others have mentioned that the system works fine.  In the older networks, the 37 to 46 rule held true.  I think there is a lot of troubleshooting links on the site that needs updating to bring it up to the 2017 CODA Docsis 3.1 generation.

 

As for the browsing hiccups, they are captured in the modem logs with the various timestamps  (assuming if you set the timezone correctly).

 

Can you post your signal levels just to check?  There could be something others might see.

 

thanks

 

I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 515

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.


@mahomed wrote:

@User14

 

Your comment about the Upstream Power / Modulation(37dbmV to 55dbmV) - the strength of signal transmitted by the cable modem is partially correct.

 

With the changes to the rogers network, getting values in the 30's is fine as @Datalink and others have mentioned that the system works fine.  In the older networks, the 37 to 46 rule held true.  I think there is a lot of troubleshooting links on the site that needs updating to bring it up to the 2017 CODA Docsis 3.1 generation.

 

As for the browsing hiccups, they are captured in the modem logs with the various timestamps  (assuming if you set the timezone correctly).

 

Can you post your signal levels just to check?  There could be something others might see.

 

thanks

 


Here are a couple of screen captures for the signal strength.

If there are troubleshooting sites for the CGN2-ROG modem, send me a link.

Where do you find the modem logs? I am using the Windows Event Viewer for "modem".

The Ping Plotter also seems to indicate that nodes other than the modem node are failing.

The signal to the imap.mail.yahoo.com IP node from the modem is the one I was tracking at 5-15 sec intervals.

 

Rogers CGN2-ROG model Status 3 - CM Status.png

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 338

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

I thought most of the newer modems had 20 to 32 channels?

 

As for the modem info, you can go to 192.168.100.1 and enter in cusadmin and password to log in.  There should be a tab there for events and that will show you what you need to see.  Perhaps @Datalink can guide you through it.

I've Been Here Awhile
Posts: 2

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

I'm also seeing the "Lost MDD Timeout" warning message and "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" critical message in my logs about 5-6 times a day since I signed up for Rogers gigabit service (previously with TPIA cable). These appear to correspond with brief interruptions in service. I can't figure out why it's happening.

 

I have the new CODA modem. Signal levels are well within spec (2.7-5.7 dBmV signal, 39-41 dB SNR, 32-36 dBmV upstream signal).

 

Happy to post additional info if it helps.

I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 515

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.


@TobiasFunke wrote:

I'm also seeing the "Lost MDD Timeout" warning message and "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" critical message in my logs about 5-6 times a day since I signed up for Rogers gigabit service (previously with TPIA cable). These appear to correspond with brief interruptions in service. I can't figure out why it's happening.

 

I have the new CODA modem. Signal levels are well within spec (2.7-5.7 dBmV signal, 39-41 dB SNR, 32-36 dBmV upstream signal).

 

Happy to post additional info if it helps.


@TobiasFunke @mahomed Have either of you tried Pingplotter (14 day free trial) or other application to see if you have internet packet losses? Here's a screen capture from 19 Dec 2016 of a loss of connection that lasted 4.5 minutes.  If I am connected to a site at that time, I loose all connections.  I have other examples of signal loss that I can post but you can see the result.  I have even recorded two interruptions that lasted 5 seconds each which were 10 seconds apart. Mostly the interruptions lasted approximately 4 minutes and there is at least one per day.  One day there were four interruptions.  I thought it might be maintenance on the lines, but when I tried calling this in, they said that there was no work being done.  I just want to know if anyone has monitored their Rogers internet connection over a day or a few days?  I used my Rogers email IMAP server because it is on most of the time and I often got IMAP Server closed the connection. Calls for support always indicated normal service which by then was quite true. This IMAP problem may be with MS Office, but in trying to monitor the internet connection, I was very surprised to see these short interruptions in service that others may not have noticed. 

 

Pingplotter Internet Packet Loss - 4.5 minutes.png

I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 515

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.


@mahomed wrote:

I thought most of the newer modems had 20 to 32 channels?

 

As for the modem info, you can go to 192.168.100.1 and enter in cusadmin and password to log in.  There should be a tab there for events and that will show you what you need to see.  Perhaps @Datalink can guide you through it.


 

@mahomed I used 192.168.100.1 but I probably don't get the same screen that you do with your modem. I get System Status info which lets me know how long my "new" refurbished Rogers modem has been working. It hasn't hung up, but I have rebooted it on principle a couple of times since I exchanged it. It has been on and working for a while. If you can't read it, it say 25 days, 7 hours, 17 minutes. The list of info on the modem is on the right, but there is no modem error log that I can see.

 

 

Hitron Tech Info for CGN2-ROG modem.png

I've Been Here Awhile
Posts: 3

Re: Internet Connection Issues - 2017 experiences.

I been getting the same issue and call Rogers CSR twice and 1 technician came out and took out the splitter in my basement and install a power amplifier and he says is passive. Will help and not distort other output. Issue continue and call in again they ask I go swap out my modem to the new Hiltron Coda version and last night has the .19 firmware and still keeps dropping for a few minutes and comes back for a few more hours and does it again.