Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects

Intermittent Disconnections

I live in Markham and have rogers ignite 100u service.  I'm in a house and the cable directly connected to the modem without any splitters.  The internet randomly disconnected and takes sometime to comeback.  I've called many times customer service, not much help.  The technician came and said, the prolem is with your cable line, that's what he said.  The cable is not that old ( < 10 years) and no splitters.  When I logged in to the modem, I don't see any signalling issue (The technician complained that signal is attenuated before reaching the modem).  I have checked the signaling level (within a modem), they are within a valid range, but I do get a lot of timeout error being loged within the Modem.  My basement is completed and I don't want to replace the cable unless it's necessary.  Any body have similar issues?  It's so much annoying when you watch netflix, it freezes.  The streaming box is connected via LAN, so I don't expect any wifi issues.  Any help?

I've Been Here Awhile

I seem to be having the same issue as the person above and am in Markham (near steeles). I havent called Rogers yet, but will do so soon, as I would be fine with replacing the cable if thats my issue. 

I've Been Around

I have been having issues with my internet for 7 months now. I've called and open tickets over 2 dozens times in the last 7 months on my account regarding the issue.
I have intermittent disconnects, slow speeds, offline service and time outs. My speed would drop to usuable levels often. 0.30Mbits Down and 0.10 Mbits Upload levels. At times speedchecks will timeout or not complete because of the connection issues. Websites like google time out or don't load at all. The problem is very intermittent so there has been times when rogers tech support said nothing was wrong and the problem will return right after the call. I had many tickets marked as solved but nothing has changed. At this moment I'm experiencing the problem. A few days ago a rogers technician came over and drilled a new wire from the modem to the cable box. Usually the connection will be normal for a few minutes and the technician will say the problem was solved. This time after 2 hours, the problem was persistant, he could not resolve the issue so he went to check the area and said the upload and download stream was having an area issue. For the first time in 7 months someone from rogers finally believed that it was not my house's issue but an area problem. I have been trying to convey that message to the rogers staff without success. He called the support to open a ticket and told me the he'll get the issue resolved within 48 hours. After that period the problem was not fixed. I am unlucky of getting tickets opened and getting them marked as resolved. I suspect when my ticket gets invesitgated, the connection seems fine so the techs mark them as solved. I have opened another ticket as of now. I suspect I will get the same incorrect solved result again. Is there anyway you can help me. I have been going through the techsupport process and starting from scratch again with every new rogers staff I talk to.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5597867572

In the last 7 months I have:
- Open at least 5-10 investigation tickets with engineering.
- Changed the modem atleast 4 times
- Rebooted and resetted my modem dozens of times
- Replace the wiring to the cable box 3 times with 3 different technicians. The most recent technician 4 days ago drilled a new hole in my house and ran a new cable to the cable box.
- The technician climb the pole and cut my house's cable wire head and replaced it with a new one.

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1633000000256QAM0.700938.983
2579000000256QAM1.900140.366
3585000000256QAM1.700238.983
4591000000256QAM1.500340.366
5597000000256QAM1.400440.366
6603000000256QAM1.300540.366
7609000000256QAM1.500638.983
8615000000256QAM1.100738.983
9621000000256QAM1.000838.605
10639000000256QAM0.7001038.605
11645000000256QAM0.8001138.605
12651000000256QAM0.6001238.983
13657000000256QAM0.6008538.605
14663000000256QAM0.4008638.605
15669000000256QAM0.6008738.605
16675000000256QAM0.3008838.605
17681000000256QAM0.3008938.605
18687000000256QAM0.1009038.605
19693000000256QAM0.1009138.605
20699000000256QAM0.1009238.983
21705000000256QAM0.3009338.605
22711000000256QAM0.1009437.636
23717000000256QAM-0.1009538.605
24723000000256QAM-0.1009638.605
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandWidth
138596000ATDMA - 64QAM38.25053200000
223700000ATDMA - 64QAM35.75076400000
330596000ATDMA - 64QAM36.75066400000

I've Been Around

Exact same problem here.   Late July early August we would lose connectivity on wired devices but our wireless was still up.  We powered down the cable box and powered back up and it seemed to fix the problem most times. Finally had the modem replaced mid August and now we starting to see the same thing again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@johnnyq89,was that speedtest done via ethernet or wifi?

Can you check your inbox when you're logged into the site.  I've sent a private message your way.  Select the personal icon at the upper right hand corner when you're logged in and then follow the envelope icon to get to the inbox, sent mail, etc. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@johnnyq89, enclosed are instructions for using pingplotter for the purpose of monitoring the modem to CMTS path performance, looking for packet loss and high ping times.  Hopefully the pingplot display will alert you to the occasions when there is an issue on that path, allowing you to contact tech support and clearly document the problem as its occuring.  The testing that the tech support CSR conducts will hopefully result in the correct staff being assigned to the issue, and result in a resoltion of the issues.

1.  Can you load pingplotterpro from www.pingplotter.com.  It will run in PRO mode for 14 days before it kicks down to Freebie mode if you don't buy the intermediate or advanced licence.  

2.  When you have that loaded, and with an ethernet connected pc or laptop start pingplotter, right click on the top title bar to bring up the column menu.  Select MAX and JTTR to display those columns and drag those columns right so that their sitting beside the MIN column.  In the Focus drop down menu on the upper right, select ALL for now so that it holds and displays the extreme values of the MIN, MAX, Jitter and Packet loss data and averages the ping times from the time that its selected.  This will show if at some point you have packet loss problems, even if that comes and goes.  

3.  Then start a test session out to something like google.ca. and hit the green "Go" button.  When that is running, right click on the IP address that is just below the modem's IP address.  Select the 2nd choice to copy the IP Address, and then pause Pingplotter, paste that copied IP Address into the address bar and hit the go button the the right hand side of the address bar.  In that configuration, you're pinging the CMTS and the bottom display will also show if there is any packet loss issues between the modem and the CTMS.  If there is, it can be addressed by tech support.  

4.  Drag the bottom area up to the bottom of the data area to expand the scaling for that lower data area.   Right click on the lower area and set the display time for 10 minutes or longer if you prefer.  Let that run for time that you selected, filling the lower display area.  If you're on an unlimited plan, you could just let that run in order to collect data on the performance of the modem to CMTS path.  

5.  Then, select Edit .... Copy as Image.  Dump the clipboard contents to something like MS paint, wipe out the line 1 address as it will most likely will be an IPV6 address for your modem and then save that image.  

6.  If you see that you are getting packet loss on the bottom display area, as indicated by Red vertical lines, you can adjust the Focus time at the top so that the top right hand display area shows near real time data.   Run another test but this time change the Focus time in the upper right to 5 or 30 seconds.  To start that, hit the down arrow next to the pause button and select "Reset and Restart".  Let that run.  This will show the percentage, on the top scale, of packet loss that your  over the 5 or 30 seconds.  
incurring

7.  Then run the same Edit .... Copy as image routine......  If you see any packet loss shown in the packet loss column at any time, copy that image and save it and post that data.  Thats what I'm interested at this point.  If you are having problems, the best approach to this is to run it via ethernet so that there are no wifi issues mixed up in the data.  

8.  Having said that, running a wifi connected test, to the modem (192.168.0.1) and seeing the plot during periods when you have wifi problems will give you some idea of the amount of packet loss you incur between a wifi pc/laptop and modem, and length of time that it goes on for.  I don't think thats what the creators of the program had in mind, but it could potentially be used that way, in conjunction with inSSIDer, which specifically monitors signal levels of wifi networks.

9.  You could Insert those images into a post and indicate which Focus time is applicable.

The hard part in dealing with a persistent problem such as this is getting in touch with tech support when the issue is underway.  I don't think I can stress that enough.  Hopefully, by configuring pingplotter so that all you are showing is a two hop plot, modem and CMTS, you can catch the occurrences by monitoring for packet loss and high ping times, allowing you to  contact tech support exactly when the problem is ongoing.  Put tech support on speed dial and don't be afraid to use it.  The more failures you can manage to document thru tech support the faster this is going to be resolved.

The main question to ask at that point in time is to have the CSR run a signal check, looking specifically for packet loss and noise, followed by checking your neighbors modems, and then the CMTS.  Checking the neighbors modems and CMTS will hopefully determine if this is a large area problem.  You're going to have to be a little forceful with tech support to get the testing underway before the condition clears up.  Advise the tech to skip the niceties, that your dealing with a persistent, intermittent issue that is underway and run the signal check if you can see that the issue is still ongoing.  Test first, niceties later.

Here is a perfect example of what I'm looking for, a two hop pingplot to monitor the modem to CMTS path:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/1505261/image-id/4058i46C3417FA9EB1B8...

You can see the packet loss as indicated in Red on the lower plot area.  Note that the 1st hop IP address has been removed as this is the modem's IPV6 address.  

Here is another example, although its pinging a much further downstream target.  Notice the high ping times, up into the mid 200 ms range to the final target and the packet loss in red.  The large red block is the replacement of a utility pole riser cable, and the right hand side after that is the result of the replacement.  That's a huge difference.  Notice as well the upper right hand display that indicates  the packet loss along the way.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/1494003/image-id/4020i68B1DE98301F59C...

Here is the follow on pingplot after the replacement of the riser cable.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/1494003/image-id/4022iB852D45F3806C4D...

So, thats the goal, to get rid of the high times and packet loss.  

Now, having said all of that, there is a current issue with the Casa CMTS and connected Hitron modems that causes high ping times.  Rogers, Casa Systems, Hitron and Intel are working on this.  Hopefully we'll see a new trial firmware trial version in the next month or two that will alleviate that issue. If you look at the first two to three rows of images in my image library, you can see the high ping times that occur between my modem and the CMTS that it connects to.  Notice that the plots are clean, no packet loss, just high ping times that affect all of the downstream ping times.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158

Ok, give that a go.  Put tech support on speed dial and don't hesitate to use it.  Call as many times as it takes to document the problem. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dddddddd2, can you:

1.  Confirm for me that when the LAN ports go down, that you still have full internet connectivity via wifi. 

2.  Confirm the exact modem model as indicated by the product sticker at the back of the modem.

3.  Log into the modem and determine which Software Version (Firmware) is loaded, as shown on the status page that is displayed when you log into the modem.

4.  Confirm that there are two IP addresses in the WAN IP Address fields at the upper right hand corner.  There should be one IPV4 address followed by one long, ugly looking IPV6 address.

5.  Navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste those into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text components of the tables, so you don't have to use a screen capture.

6.  Log out of the modem and run an IPV4/IPV6 connectivity test at ipv6-test.com  Please let me know the final score out of 20 that is displayed at the upper right hand corner. 

7.  Start a command prompt and run the following IPV6 trace;  tracert -6 ipv6.google.com   Please let me know if it completes all the way to the end.  I don't want to see it, just want to know if it runs thru to the end at this point.

Depending on what I see, I might ask to run pingplotter to keep an eye on the modem to CMTS path to see what turns up. Just a heads up at this point.  Here's the instructions:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

I've Been Around

The internet at my new house has always been extremely iffy but never this bad. All of a sudden, it randomly disconnects, on everyones devices throughout the house. I have restarted the router but it continues to randomly disconnect and reconnect. My router is a Hitron cgnm. I also experience incredibly high lag spikes that sometimes persist for 5-10 minutes while I am gaming. But then other times I have a constant 36 ping. I am located on the second floor and am using a wireless adapter but the wifi is poor for everyone. On the rogers speed test I am only getting ~30 mgb/s where my plan is 100 mbg/s. And finally on  another note, a few weeks ago my 5G network just stopped reaching my room, I can connect to it sometimes but will not have any internet access, and other times it simply doesn't show up whereas it used to be my strongest and fastest connection. Please help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GeorgeSt sounds like this isn't much fun at all.  Ok, first things first.  Can you:

1.  Confirm what model of modem you have as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem.  I would think that its a CGN3XXX variation or possibly a CGNM-3552.

2.  Log into the modem and confirm what Software Version (Firmware) is currently loaded.  Note that V4.5.8.22 will be rolled out for the CGN3ACSMR this week.

3.  Navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste those into a post.  The copy and paste process will copy the text components of the tables and paste them into a post, so using a screen capture won't be necessary.

4.  Please read my post regarding the use of Pingplotter to monitor the modem to CMTS cable path to look for anomalies in the performance of that path.  My personal opinion is that along with the modem, this is the most critical part of the cable internet system.  Get this part right, along with the modem, and your internet performance should be rock solid.  Easy for me to say as an armchair quarterback, but, with a little persistence it can be done.  If you can post an image from pingplotter as is indicated in that post, between the signal levels and the image, hopefully we can start tracking down the cause of the problem with the internet service:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

5.  The wifi performance of the Hitron modems isn't stellar.  One idea to strongly consider, if wifi performance is one of the top requirements in your household, is to use a router with external antenna which will provide much better wifi coverage for your home.  Running the modem in Bridge mode with a third party router is pretty routine these days.  I and many others on the forum do just that and don't experience any issues with wifi. 

Having said that, for now, the question is, is it possible to improve on your wifi performance.  Maybe, with a little bit of work.  Try this.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application.  When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands.  In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel.  After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there are any 2.4 or 5 Ghz channels that are not in use, or offer less interference.  That's usually pretty tough with 2.4. Ghz channels as the only channels that don't overlap with each other is 1, 6, and 11.  As a result, everyone tries to use those channels.  The program link below is for the last freebie version.  It doesn't display the 802.11ac networks in use in the 5 Ghz band.  There is a newer licenced version out now that will handle 802.11ac networks, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  If you use 5 Ghz networks, its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the 5 Ghz networks that are in use.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks.  Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel.  So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours.  The scale on the display has 0 dBmW at the top, and it then descends from there.  When the power level separation between networks decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network.  Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.  By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can.  If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, change your operating channel to 149 or higher.  If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates.  

So, with inSSIDer loaded on your laptop, take a walk around your home.  Take a look at the display when you're close to the modem, and where you normally use your laptop.  Essentially, you're doing a site survey.  It takes about three to four minutes for the display to settle out when you move around and stop in a location somewhere.  You should see some differences in the received network power levels as you move around your home, both for your own network, and those of your neighbors.  Perhaps one of your neighbors has bought a new modem or router and is competing for the same channels that you are using.  If so, inSSIDer will show that.

What you can do is take a screenshot of the inSSIDer display, dump it into something like Microsoft paint and wipe out your MAC address from the text and display area and then save it.  Insert it into a post so I can have a look at it if you need help with the interpretation.  With the info provided by the inSSIDer display it will be easier to determine what the problem might be with the wifi performance.

One item to look for is the presence of a secondary hidden network transmitting from the modem.  This is a beacon for a secondary network.  As I have been given to understand, it is just a beacon that is running and is on the to do list to remove.  Other users who have reported a drop in wifi data rates have also reported the presence of this beacon.  So, if you go ahead to check the wifi environment, please look for that second "network" that is transmitted on the same channel as your network and let me know if its present.  

6.  Lastly, your home network.  Is your modem located in the basement by any chance where the cable enters the home?  If so, and your using the wifi from the modem, it wouldn't be a surprise that you have poor wifi performance upstairs.  Please let me know where the modem is currently located.  Keep in mind that if you have cable outlets somewhere else in the home, you can park that modem anywhere in order to gain better wifi performance. It doesn't have to live in the basement

One thing that you can check for is the presence of structured wiring.  With a new home, I would expect it to be installed.  If you look behind any wallplate that has a outlet such as a cable or telephone outlet, you might find the rest of the cable bundle, waiting to be discovered by the home owner and put to use.  That bundle normally consists of two RG-6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat-5e or Cat-6 cable for ethernet, and one Cat-3, possibly Cat-5e for telephones.  The other end of the bundle will be located downstairs, terminating in the structured wiring cabinet.  If you have structured wiring in your home, you can use the RG-6 to park the modem anywhere in the house, close to the selected wallplate, and you can use the ethernet to backhaul date down to the structured wiring cabinet, into a gigabit switch and then out to the rest of the rooms that have structure wiring installed.  You can use one of those ethenet ports upstairs to run a router as an access point, greatly improving your wifi performance throughout the home.  You would have a choice to co-locate the router with the modem so that you can use the router as the main router instead of the modem.  That would provide better wifi, better user controls over your network which is also easier to use, and still provide a data backhaul to a gigabit switch in the basement and out to the rest of the house.  Or, you can split the two locations although I advise against it solely for the purpose of letting the more capable router run your network.  You can use more than one router to provide wifi coverage throughout the home, its just a matter of configuring the second router correctly. Its possible to be creative here depending on whether or not you have structured wiring installed and depending on whether or not there are two Cat-5e cables in the bundle.  Given that a lot of people use cell phones and don't have home phones, if there are two Cat-5e cables in the bundle, you can leave the modem in the basement running in Bridge mode, connected to the router upstairs where it runs the network and provides wifi coverage, and then backhaul data downstairs to a gigabit switch and from there to the rest of the house.  There are a number of possibilities to solve the situation, depending on what cabling is in the home and not already used. 

Ok, that a pile of info.  No rush, unless you're in a hurry to resolve this.  Take this one step at a time, item by item until your internet service and house wifi are working the way that they should. 

From the top, the to do list:

1.  Modem model?

2.  Firmware version?

3.  Downstream and Upstream tables.

4.  Pingplots

5.  inSSIDer wifi screenshot:  also looking for beacon transmission which should be on the image

6.  Modem location.

7.  Structured Wiring present: yes or no?

I've Been Around

Internet connection on and off

I have been having the issue for a while now. The uplink and downlink lights on my modem are solid green while the @ light is blinking. I called earlier and a technician came by but my internet happened to be working just fine while he was there and it stopped working once he was gone. 

I just got the gigabit internet package yesterday and this is really frustrating. I am considering switch to bell now. 

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.