Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects

I am still having daily disconnects and now considering all other options. I might lose my job because of these disconnects as when they happened during the team meetings it appears that I am not working from home.

I checked Fido internet and it appears they have the same problem, here is the link to the similar problem reported in Fido forums: https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Fido-Home-Internet/dropping-internet-conn/td-p/174975#

And it appears that it is the same response from Fido support and from Rogers support (they ignore us).

My understanding Fido is just a cheaper brand of Rogers and it is owned by Rogers.

Did anyone tried Carrytel or any other providers and can confirm that after switching problem is gone?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ViRichmondHill when you have time, can you have a look at the following post:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Internet-Keeps-Dropping/m-p/476245#M65550

These two threads are essentially parallel threads at this point.  The difficult part now is separating potential cable or network issues from potential modem issues as they can cause similar failures.  

I'd say that if your boss is giving you grief due to the failures that occur during your meetings, point him or her in the direction of these two threads.  There are a good number of customers in a similar circumstance which is very frustrating to see. 

For options to think about, and not in any order.

1.  VDSL/DSL with Bell, Teksavvy or Start Communications.  That uses telephone cabling to run a secondary internet data frequency band on top of the voice communications band.  A filter is used to separate the two bands into a voice output and data output, where the data output feeds a VDSL/DLS modem.  That system can be installed and run without removing the cable internet connection  VDSL/DLS doesn't have the speeds that you find with cable, but it has very low latency.  The attainable speeds depend on the distance from the neighbourhood telephone pedestal.  Can't remember the applicable pedestal names at the moment.  The customer has to buy their own VDSL/DSL modem.

2.  Cable service with Teksavvy or Start.  This will use the Rogers cable system until the data is split off and sent to either Teksavvy or Start's network.  The modem will be a different modem so, that should alleviate the current problems assuming that the issues that you're experiencing are due to the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem.  Just to note, Teksavvy allows users to run the Technicolor TC-4400 modem.  That modem uses the Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset instead of the Intel Puma 7 chipset found in the Hitron CODA-4582 and one of the XB6 modems used for the Ignite TV service (Arris TG-3482ER).

3.  Fibre to the Home (FTTH) with Bell.  If you have Bell fibre available, that should be strongly considered as it offers much higher upload data rates and lower latency.  The only drawback is Bells choice of U.S. entry points, which appears to be Chicago.  No matter what, you're going thru Chicago if your data is transiting down to the U.S.

4.  Upgrading to Rogers Ignite TV service and ensuring that you receive the Technicolor version of the XB6 modem, which is the Technicolor CGM-4140COM.  Again, that uses a different chipset than the Arris or Hitron modems.  

At this point, its really necessary to understand if the problems that you're having are cable or network based or dur possibly to the introduction of the OFDMA channel with the Hitron CODA-4582 modem.  Don't head off in a direction without being sure of what the problem is.  If you're experiencing cable issues with the external cable, switching to a TPIA and different modem will not alleviate the problem.  If anything you will end up spending money that you don't want to spend and have to push the TPIA company to prod Rogers into solving the problem.  Before jumping over to any TPIA company, ensure that any external cable issues are taken care of. 

Lastly, are you using a power bar of any type?  If so, as an experiment, disconnect the power bar altogether.  Run your pc and equipment off of an extension cord or two for a a period of time.  Power bars contain a metal oxide varistor to limit over-voltage spikes that can damage connected equipment.  They will last for a long time but, when they start to fail they can emit a significant amount of RF noise which can totally disrupt coax or ethernet cable signaling.  The power bar is the last thing that anyone thinks about, but, they can and do fail.  The front line techs will ask customers to remove the power bar without stating why.  The reasons stated above are probably why that request is made.

ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink 

slipwiz
I've Been Around

i'm been having the same issues since october, i though i was going nuts as rogers keeps saying that the problem is in my network since i have the router in bridge mode...  finally was able to log into the modem (found ot about the 192.168.100.1 trick today) and the logs are full of critical t3 errors..  when i get the disconnect downloads and video streaming view are working find i just cant upload anyting , including video conference .  my router registes pour network connection . the only way i've foud to fix it is to recycle the modem and the router.  which is embarasing when i'm on video conferences with my VP 

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

What are t3 timeouts I see we get 1 or 2 a day
Brian0301
I've Been Around

Wifi just disconnected @7:52pm. Rogers internet has been horrible for the last month. Had multiple service calls and still keeps freezing and dropping internet

ViCommander
I've Been Here Awhile

What can we do to resolve this issue. It's seriously affecting my father's work as well as the games I am playing. Need this fixed ASAP...

MrJames
I Plan to Stick Around

I switched to the newer ignite to get rid of the CODA modem. Zero disconnects since.

I had apple equipment and the CODA modem bridged. Removing the apple router and unbridging the modem reduce but didn't stop the disconnects. Getting rid of the CODA modem appears to have solved the problem.

ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

I also switched to "new Ignite" and got rid of CODA modem and since then all works OK.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ViRichmondHill @MrJames can you have a look at the bottom of your XB6 modem to see what modem model you have.  It will be an Arris TG-3482ER or a Technicolor CGM-4140COM modem.  

The Arris (XB6) TG-3482ER is an Intel Puma 7 chipset modem.  The CODA-4582 modem that you had previously is an Intel Puma 7 chipset modem. 

The Technicolor (XB6) CGM-4140COM is a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset modem. 

It would be very useful if you could indicate which particular XB6 model you now have.