Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Intermittent disconnects

I've been having intermittent disconnects lasting ~30 seconds on weekend afternoons ever since I got the Ignite 100 package last summer. It happens on ethernet and wifi, no matter what I'm doing (surfing, streaming, video calling, etc).

When I initiate a chat support session, the signal is usually good and there is no packet loss. But the issue continues soon after -- perhaps every 15 minutes or so.

I've tried swapping the modem, the technician has replaced something outside my house, and I've tried swapping the modem a second time, but the issue hasn't gone away. Rogers chat support has opened an engineering ticket on March 19th but I was told via chat support today that they have closed the ticket and found no issues.

However...! I have gathered some proof. I have started to keep a log of of my modem's signal levels and noticed that the upstream channel 3 signal strength goes up from ~40dBmV to >50dBmV whenever I'm experiencing the intermittent disconnect issue. I also see the following DOCSIS event message: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

Here are the signal logs I've kept over the last few weeks: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByfHiW1x8WuXbHVvRmg5QjhCWVk&usp=sharing

How can I get this issue resolved? I would rather have slower speeds if it meant that I could have a constant reliable connection. As it stands now, I get good speeds but I can only enjoy it 70% of the week.

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent disconnects

Is your external cable underground or does it come in from a utility pole?  I should also ask, are you in a house or apartment, condo, etc, etc.  You definitely have intermittent signal issues, which is normally cured with an external cable change.  The problem is that this is an intermittent issue, so, of course, when the tech arrives, it isn't occuring, but, your signal level logs have managed to capture the events.  My initial guess is to change the cable no matter what.  Let me pm one of the mods to contact you.  Done.... pm sent to @CommunityHelps

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in in a house and I think the cable comes in from underground into a box on the house outer wall, and then it wraps around into the house. I had the cable-box-to-inside cable replaced maybe 10 years ago and it made my internet better. I wonder if it's due for another change?

Also, I just noticed that there's a long piece of cable that comes out of the cable box and the other end just hangs in the air (as if it was meant to go somewhere). But if that was actually connected inside the cable box, the last tech would have noticed, I think.

Thanks for your quick reply... I've been frustrated on weekends for months!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, it might be time for an underground cable change.  Ours lasted 10 years before it decided to die one day.  Worked perfectly up to that day, then poof.  Change the cable and we were back in business.  One of the mods should contact you using the @CommunityHelps address.

I've Been Here Awhile

The techs came by multiple times and ended up fixing the issue after creating an area ticket.

The first tech changed stuff in the cable box in front of our house and said there was intermittent noise -- he would create an area ticket. He left but forgot to reconnect our internet at the cable box. Another tech came back the next day and fixed it, had to recreated the area ticket, and left.

Two hours later the internet died completely, and an hour later, a tech came by and changed some stuff in the cable box again... now my internet signals have changed to differnet values and haven't experienced loss of connection at all since then.

I'm Here A Lot

Intermittent Internet Outages since April 28th

Title says it all. One Would expect such a large company like Rogers would communicate more effectively with there customers when there's an outage.

I'd really like an explanation why my Internet which I pay $87.99 a month for isn't delivering.

No platitudes, excuses, rhetoric is not acceptable. When you fail to deliver services consistently for which you're customers pay we are owed an explanation. Not a standard tat.

Additionally you should at least add an automated message in you're IVR notifying customer's there's an outage. It should also be on the website for those that can access it so they are also aware.

Rogers needs to do better, much better when experiencing technical issues in regards to informing there customer's.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having the same problem for about a month now.

Had a modem swap done, cable lines replaced.

Connection was fine for months then around the start of april started to notice this.

channel issue.PNG

Hello, @Makaveli99

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern and the signal levels. In this case, the intermittent Internet is due to the high levels and missing Upstream channel. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps when you are online so that we can discuss the next step to resolve the issue. 

To learn more about our Private Messaging system, please click here.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

Done thank you.

I've Been Here Awhile

Every day, a couple of times a day, our internet completely dissconnects for 2-3 minutes before coming back up. We own the CGN3ACSMR, Hardware Version: 1A and running firmware number 4.5.8.21. I have no idea as to why this is happening or how to resolve it. Would it be an issue with the routing feature in the modem, the modem itself,  or the firmware? Any suggestions would help as this seems to be a persistant, daily issue.

Thanks