Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnGM
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects

Second tech visit resolved most of my problems. It was the modem. The modem first tech gave me was no good. I have the big white one and you want the newer versions with a “U” at the end of the name on the back ( that’s what the tech told me ). Poor quality control if they are giving clients sub par modems to begin with.
PizzaBear
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm so it's a modem problem for your situation?

I went through one modem swap already but still having intermittent packet loss. Not entirely sure if it is the modem or not..
Karamvir
I've Been Around

Have been having these disconnects out of the blue for about a month now. Can somebody at Rogers actually do something about this?
RogersMoin

Hello, Community. 

Thank you all for your patience and for participating in this thread. Intermittent disconnects can be disruptive and quite tricky to identify the root cause. 

We can look into finding a solution for you; please post the following so the issue can be analyzed: 

• The modem model, like CODA-4582U, etc.
  • Modem's status: Bridge or Gateway mode
  • Firmware version > We can find this in the Status/System Information menu
  • LAN Up Time and WAN Up Time > We can find this in the Status/System Information menu
  • Downstream, Upstream, OFDM, OFDMA tables > We can find this in the Status/DOCSIS WAN menu
  • Are the disconnects happening on both wired and wireless devices?
  • Is the modem rebooting by itself when the connection drops?
  • Is the band steering enabled on the modem?

You can also provide the timestamp of disconnections if they are not random. 

Regards,

RogersMoin

PizzaBear
I Plan to Stick Around

Happened today at 12:25pm for me. Lasted between 5 to 10 minutes.

CODA 4582 modem, bridge mode. I have tested in gateway mode and this still happens. I have also tested on firmware 7.1.1.3.2 and 7.1.1.3.3 and both has experienced this. I have done modem swap already.

Modem doesn't physically go offline as the admin page is accessible and signal reading look fine when it happens.

It knocks off any connection connected to cable modem, WiFi or Lan. If you ping modem gateway or external ip, it would show bursts of request time out following a recovery of a very high latency ping, and then goes back to normal for couple seconds and then happens again. Goes on and off couple times in a 5 or so minute interval and then connection goes back to normal.

It is super annoying especially when trying to work. Cannot seem to have a stable connection for the past month and a half now.
Gihad
I've Been Here Awhile

I've had this service for years, 2 months ago this issue (intermittent disconnects) started. It has become a critical issue that affects my ability to work from home greatly and is impacting my professional growth. Disconnecting at random in the middle of important conferences is a really big issue. My wife is also suffering with the exact same issues since she does a lot of conferences too.

I tried to talk to a chat support and they refuse to allow me to exchange my modem at the store, I've already diagnosed all the other components after the modem (in fact as part of my diagnosing steps I spent hundreds of dollars replacing the router and APs with enterprise grade equipment from Ubiquiti).

Who do I have to talk to in order to replace my modem right away at the rogers store? They won't let me do that before running a useless 5 day diagnostics...

This week I resorted to installing a smart plug between the outlet and the modem which turns power off and on every day at 7am.  This makes things a bit better close to 7am, but I still experience disconnects later in the day...

Life is too short to deal with this.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gihad what modem are you using, and, are you and your wife running VPNs during the day?

PizzaBear
I Plan to Stick Around

Just call your local Rogers store and ask if they have any cable modems and ask for modem swap. Other way is schedule tech visit and request them to check your line and swap your modem. But fastest would be to call up local Rogers store and swap with them. It's a safe process.. You only enter store briefly to drop off old modem and pickup their refurbished modems.

JohnGM
I Plan to Stick Around

My issue was the modem, but the first swap apparently gave me another bum modem! On a hunch the tech swapped it again for the newer model # and it worked perfectly. I didn’t think it would work because I just had it swapped, but the tech was right. He stayed late past his time to leave, grateful that he tried hard to fix my issue.
PizzaBear
I Plan to Stick Around

What is this modem you are referring to?

Is it still the white coda block modem or the ignite wifi black modem?