Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent disconnects

@Burnzy can you delete the data above the Downstream Overview please.  

Your signal levels aren't bad at all.  The downstream signal levels and signal to noise ratios are good.  The upstream levels are a little elevated above the normal 36 to 40 dBmV range, so there's nothing to indicate any problem, however, this is just a snapshot in time.  If you're seeing service dropouts, this table isn't fast enough to catch that, and, after a reboot, the signal levels will look normal.  

What are you seeing, ethernet connected problems, or wifi problems or both?  Or is there something else going on?

I'm Here A Lot

It seems to be the entire network. Everything loses connection but the modem lights all stay connected.. even talking with a tech support agent said it looked good on her end but I couldn't connect whilst on the phone with her. She said it's probably a modem issue and to swap it... which I did.. again.. still same issue occurs.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Running the modem in Gateway or Bridge mode?  If its in Bridge mode, whats the router model behind it?

If its in Gateway mode, and you ping 192.168.0.1 (the modem interface) what do you get for results when you have this failure?

Have you tried running one network at a time to rule out any misbehaving network adapters.  By that I mean, run ethernet connected devices with the wifi (both 2.4 and 5 Ghz) disabled for a given test period, where you would normally see a failure.  Then switch to wifi connected devices and disconnect any ethernet connected devices.

Edit:  In both test cases, you're looking for a failure to occur.  We've seen modem network failures in the past that were actually caused by a faulty network adapter in a pc or laptop.  So, that's what comes to mind initially.  Ruling out any possibilities of that happening. 

I'm Here A Lot

It's both wifi and ethernet. It all loses connectivity. While on the phone with tech support they said its online... but nothing will connect until I reset the modem manually.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have any other services, Home Phone or Cable TV?  If so, I would expect you to see problems with those services as well,

I'm Here A Lot

We only have cable tv but never had a problem with that.
I'm Here A Lot

Would having the Roger's netbox plugged into the router cause an issue?
I've Been Here Awhile

My modem disconnection solution - Update

Hi again.

My modem is actually doing fine, it only suffered one reset after 6 weeks, and is still running well since afterward.

Last week or so, I read on the advice from the Rogers moderator of this thread that one should buy an office-grade extension cord for ONLY the modem (not the regular or general-purpose kind), the spec is that it is to be at least 15A (my modem is around 12.5 or 13A) and 5m in length (I bought mine from Canadian Tire).

I see a much better improvement after implementing this (the extension plug is connected to a different outlet away from the no-longer-in-use outlet next to the Internet Cable).  For safety purposes, I keep the modem permanently plugged to the cord (and (un)plug the extension cord instead).

Thanks for reading.

Andy

I've Been Around

Intermittent connectivity since Sep 20, 2018

Hi

Have been having intermittent connectivity since Sep 20th. Rebooted modem several times. Called tech support and they said everything looks fine on their end and no issues in the area.

Here are the modem logs from Oct 3. Any idea what could be causing this?

Type Priority Event
82000600 critical Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
82000200 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
82000300 critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
82000600 critical Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
82000200 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
73040100 notice TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
84020200 warning Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
82000300 critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
73040100 notice TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @polkadotz,

Thanks for posting your question and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums Smiley Happy!

Dealing with intermittent internet connectivity (say that 3 times fastSmiley LOL), can be a pain, especially since I occasionally work from home, so I know first hand how important it is to maintain a stable connection.

I appreciate you posting your event logs. You mentioned tech support confirmed everything looks good on their end with the modem. If you don't mind, can you post the logs on the routers DOCSIS WAN page? We want to ensure they're indeed within spec. Just copy the upstream and downstream tables and please ensure to remove/block your CM MAC and IP address.

A few questions additional question. Are you experiencing the problem on both wired and wireless connections? Are you using your own router? You mentioned that the issue began as of September 20th...was there an event that took place during that time, such as a local outage?

Look forward to your response!

RogersCilio