Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent disconnects

TCS Partial Service and Sync Errors are bad, I would send a PM to @CommunityHelps, hopefully they can get a level 2 tech to look into this issue. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, i'll send them a PM
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Could somebody tell me what's going on? I disconnect every 4-5 hours. Is it a hardware issue or a signal issue? Or both?

DOCSIS Logs

The DOCSIS event logs is shown here

NoTimetypePriorityEvent
107/24/18 09:21:1782000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
207/24/18 09:26:5284020200warningLost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
307/24/18 09:26:5682000400criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
407/24/18 09:28:4784020200warningLost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
507/24/18 09:28:5582000400criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
607/24/18 09:41:3684020200warningLost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
707/24/18 09:43:2082000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
807/24/18 09:43:4984020200warningLost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
907/24/18 09:43:5282000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1007/24/18 09:45:5282000400criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1107/24/18 09:45:5584020200warningLost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1207/24/18 09:47:3182000400criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1307/24/18 09:47:3182000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1407/24/18 09:50:1184020200warningLost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1507/24/18 09:52:4282000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1607/24/18 09:57:1982000400criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1707/24/18 09:57:1982000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1807/24/18 10:06:2682000400criticalReceived Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1907/24/18 10:09:4490000000warningMIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2007/24/18 19:28:5682000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@amazinganna, when you see the failure occur, does this effect ethernet connected devices, wifi connected devices or both?  I'm assuming both at this point in time unless you indicate otherwise.  

You indicated on your previous post that the signal levels were observed without the power strip.  Was the power strip disconnected from the electrical socket, or was it left connected in order to power other equipment.  If it is still connected to the wall socket, as a test, I'd recommend disconnecting it completely.  Run any other equipment off of extension cords for now.  

Power strips usually, but not always, contain a metal oxide varistor which is used to protect connected equipment from voltage spikes.  When that varistor starts to fail it will or can generate enough RF noise to kill cable signals.  EMI can take strange paths, thru other connected equipment, so, if the power strip is still running, try disconnecting it for a period of time, looking for another modem reboot. 

The other possibility here is that you have an external cable or connector that is failing.  It might not be dead yet, but its possibly headed in that direction.  When that happens, a modem reboot will temporarily resolve the issue, but, it won't resolve the underlying problem.  That requires a cable and/or connector replacement.  When this happens its a source of a lot of frustration as the signal levels that you posted are fine.  When a disconnect happens, it's usually too fast to catch on the signal level page.  So, the levels look fine, but, you still end up with disconnects as the modem will reboot automatically in order to reestablish communications with the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  If the failing component simply failed, it would be much easier to troubleshoot and find the source of the problem.  Its difficult to troubleshoot this when the internet service is up and running as it should be. 

When the disconnect occurs, does the modem just reboot right away and the service returns to normal?  Or does this take a while to recover from the disconnect?  If so, that's the best time to call tech support, and if you can reach one of the techs fast enough, he or she can run a signal check to determine if this is a single line failure (yours) or if it happens to be a wider problem.  My bet is with a single line failure.  

It would be worth checking with your immediate neighbours who are using Rogers as to whether or not they are seeing the same issue.  If not, then that points to a single line failure.    

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

CODA-4582 - drops wifi signal periodically

I'm having issues with my wifi signal.

Once in a while (sometimes once a week, other times once a day), the wifi drops.  It will completely disappear from the list of available connections, and then when it reappears, we can't connect.  The devices don't reconnect automatically, and when we try to force connect, it says the password is incorrect.  Even if I "forget" the connection and start fresh, it says it's an incorrect password.

The only fix is to reboot the modem.

When I look at the modem lights, nothing seems out of the ordinary.  And wired connections seem ok, so it's just the wifi.

FYI, my modem has the black dot on the back.

Any ideas?  

Thanks!

UPDATE:  Just happened again, except I was near the router as it happened, and the wifi lights DID go out on the router.  In this case, they came back on their own and our devices reconnected automatically.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @spigirl,

Thanks for posting your question to our Community Forum and welcome!

We know that having a reliable connection is important. We certainly want to assist you with your connection concerns. To me, your symptoms sound like poor RF signal. Usually when the modem is offline and you try to connect wirelessly, you'll be prompted for the WiFi password, which of course, would not work given that its offline. Oddly enough though, your wired connections are fine, so I'm not sure that's entirely the issue. 

In any case, does it affect multiple WiFi devices or just a particular one? Are you running a 3rd party router? If you can kindly your modem specs? Here's how, in case you're not familiar:

1. Connect your device to your Wi-Fi modem either with an ethernet cable or over your WiFi network.
  2. Open a web browser and key in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
  3. Enter the following default settings to access the modem settings and select Login:

• Username: cusadmin

• Password: password (or your current Wi-Fi password)

4. Select Status at the top > DOCSIS WAN

From there you can copy the upstream and downstream tables. Please ensure to remove your CM MAC and IP address.

Alternatively, you can always try to swap the modem as well, if you haven't already tried that?

Look forward to hearing back!

RogersCilio

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello,

Im also recieving this issue. I only have an internet package. About a month ago the issue started and would have very irregularly maybe once a week? Recently it has become very common happening mulitpe times a day. When i check the router itself it will either be going through the reboot procesa or its stuck in the cycle.

What can i do?
Highlighted

Hello @Lyall4,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I can imagine how much of a pain it must be having your internet connection drop out on you all of a sudden, especially if it happens while you are doing something important online.

If the modem itself is going offline or rebooting itself it sounds like there could be a possible signal issue affecting your line. Can you confirm if the modem power cord is plugged directly into the wall socket or does it connect to a power bar?

Can you please post the signal levels of your modem to this thread for the Community to review? If you are not familiar with how to do this please follow the steps below.

1. Connect your device to your Wi-Fi modem either with an ethernet cable or over your Wi-Fi network.
  2. Open a web browser and key in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
  3. Enter the following default settings to access the modem settings and select Login:

• Username: cusadmin

• Password: password (or your current Wi-Fi password)

4. Select Status at the top > DOCSIS WAN

From there you can copy the upstream and downstream tables. Please ensure to remove your CM MAC and IP address.

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the reply. The modem completely went dead today. So drive into town to replace it. So far its seems more stable. Possibly a faulty modem? Time will tell
Highlighted

Hello @Lyall4,

We're glad to hear that the new modem seems to be working a lot better!

If you notice any issues going forward please provide us with the signal information as per the steps above and we can see whats going on.

Have an awesome weekend! 😃

RogersTony