Intermittent Disconnections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent Disconnections

Can you post your downstream and upstream tables again?  Just curious how they turned out.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersAsif,

I don't see a link to opt out. Since the alerts aren't displaying properly, there's no opt out link to click on.

Thanks!

-Jason

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

Here they are:

Downstream Channels  

Power Level:Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1:3.3 dBmV41.4 dB
Channel 2:3.6 dBmV41.4 dB
Channel 3:3.6 dBmV41.7 dB
Channel 4:3.7 dBmV41.4 dB
Channel 5:3.5 dBmV41.4 dB
Channel 6:3.6 dBmV41.4 dB
Channel 7:3.7 dBmV41.5 dB
Channel 8:3.4 dBmV41.6 dB

Upstream Channels  

Power Level:
Channel 1:51.0 dBmV
Channel 2:51.0 dBmV
Channel 3:51.0 dBmV
Channel 4:0.0 dBmV

The upstream ones were down to 50.9 earlier. The tech spent a lot of time changing all of the connections and cables, so I'm confident if it's hardware, it's either the modem or somewhere farther up the line. The RogersHelps twitter people did run a local node test.

Thank you again!

-Jason

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did the tech change the external cable or connectors?  The upstream levels are still at the upper limit.  I don't have any doubt that you will run into problems with those levels.

I Plan to Stick Around

He changed the connectors, but the not the exterior cable itself. He also did test the signal strength coming into the house,  and said it was good, although I don't know what the precise result was. Could it be the modem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, don't believe so.  You could always swap it for another DPC-3825 but I don't think that will do anything.  That cable should probably have been changed. 

Call Tech Support again and have them rerun a signal check on the modem, and have them check the node as well.  Your signal levels haven't changed so it will be interesting to see what they say about the upstream results.  Can you also run a speedtest at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server and post the results.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

The speed seems fine. 

36 down and 11 up via Rogers

38 down and 11 up via Telus Toronto

I have a SamKnows device so I can give you more extensive data if you'd like. In my quick perusal, most of the statistics looked normal, except for the failed web requests, which have been especially high of late.

I'll ask tech support to run the tests.

-Jason

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hmm, ok, what level of service are you on, 30 Mb/s down, 5 Mb/s up?  Maybe at those rates the 51 dBmV levels won't hurt you in terms of the data rates, but this is usually indicative of a cable or connector failure.  Do you have more than three Rogers devices running, in which case you would be using a larger splitter or amplifier on your incoming cable?

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm on the hybrid fibre 60. I only have 2 Rogers devices: the modem and the cable box. I don't know why the download speed just now was slow, but the SamKnows box has me consistently at 65.

-Jason

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The SamKnows Box runs to a specific test server and uses UDP instead of TCP.  My personal opinion of their results is that they sugarcoat the real network performance.  I believe all the ISPs use it, and it makes them all look good.  I'd like to see SamKnows use typical real world targets like gaming servers, or other popular services across North America.  That would paint an entirely different picture of network performance.

Ok, given that your on 60 / 10, can you confirm that the speedtests are wired tests?  If they are, what you are seeing from the Rogers and www.speedtest.net results, along with the high upstream levels says to me that you still have a some type of cable issue.  I would definitely be calling tech support to get them to rerun the signal checks.  With 60 / 10, you should be seeing peak speeds of 95 Mb/s down, 11, maybe 12 up when you throw in speedboost.  That will drop near the end of the test run, but those are the type of peak rates you should be seeing.