Intermittent Disconnections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent disconnection

I am now starting to think that this is really a mis-configuration or resource contention problem in the CMTS rather than my modem. The problem went away for a several days, now it is back. I don't think anything changed in the modem.
I Plan to Stick Around

This is annoying me and my brother. This started happening like 2 days ago for us, but tonight it is EVERY 30-40 minutes.  VERY VERY annoying playing games online.  Wish Rogers would frequent these forums more often so we know if they are aware of this issue.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Well, after 12 years with Rogers I cancelled and will be switching to a new provider. Any suggestions? Rogers didn't really try to keep my business. They did offer 15% off for a one year term. They won't match Teksavvy. Last year I dropped their home phone for a different VOIP provider and now the internet. Their TV is still great... for now.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All I can say is look around and do your research ( discussing the compititions in more than a mention goes against the forum code of conduct, unfortunately. This forum is designed to aid rogers people with rogers issues)

Other than usage limits, just re,ember that if speed issues etc are prelivent in your area, switching to another provider than rents lines from roger may experience the same issues.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent Disconnections

Well I am back here once again with the same issue that I have repeatedly had throughout the past few years. Starting about a week ago my internet connection has been rather unstable. Connection will drop in and out at any given time, sometimes the modem resets itself , other times the connection seems to go out with no indication from the modem.

When playing online games the connection will cause drops which can sometimes be reconnected right away, other times the game will hang untill connection has been established again. This usually last only a few seconds, however its long enough to cause drops from certain games.

When web browsing or video streaming, I am unable to notice any issues, sometimes web pages hang while loading which may either be a DNS issue or may be signs of an actual connection re-establishment. My line stats are as follows:

Downstream Channels

Power Level:          Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1:  -3.3 dBmV              40.0 dB

Channel 2:  -3.4 dBmV              39.9 dB

Channel 3:  -3.4 dBmV              40.3 dB

Channel 4:  -3.0 dBmV              40.0 dB

Channel 5:  -3.4 dBmV              39.9 dB

Channel 6:  -2.3 dBmV              40.4 dB

Channel 7:  -1.9 dBmV              40.5 dB

Channel 8:  -2.0 dBmV              40.3 dB    

Upstream Channels

Power Level:

Channel 1:   47.5 dBmV

Channel 2:   47.2 dBmV

Channel 3:   46.7 dBmV

Channel 4:   0.0 dBmV

I Plan to Stick Around

I would love for someone to explain how every few months my connection becomes unreliable and manages to cause disconnects every few minutes with no ability to reproduce the problem. Its funny, a tech comes out and changes a splitter, boom the connection works. Then a few months later it starts acting up again, and the same issue just recycles every 4-5 months or so. Like the heck is going on here, there is absolutely no way that I am the only person dealing with this issue. I have friends within a 2 minute radius of me that never experience a single issue with rogers, yet I sit here with constant issues

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RichardA wrote:

I would love for someone to explain how every few months my connection becomes unreliable and manages to cause disconnects every few minutes with no ability to reproduce the problem. Its funny, a tech comes out and changes a splitter, boom the connection works. Then a few months later it starts acting up again, and the same issue just recycles every 4-5 months or so. Like the heck is going on here, there is absolutely no way that I am the only person dealing with this issue. I have friends within a 2 minute radius of me that never experience a single issue with rogers, yet I sit here with constant issues

Is it possible that there is an 'environmental' issue somewhere?

Some years ago, I had a crazy problem every spring where, as the weather warmed up, my Rogers Internet would start having packet loss. Then they would fix it... and it would happen again the next year. My theory (unconfirmed by anyone at Rogers)? The melting snow was causing water to go into some piece of Rogers equipment...

Then one year it got really bad, the serious Rogers technicians (not the subcontractors) in the big red vans eventually came and did something outside the building, and I don't think it's occurred since.

So, assuming that it's the same splitters in the same place going bad, is it possible that there's something environmental that's causing them to go bad? Or a bad device plugged into it? (The bad device theory sounds fanciful, but a laptop motherboard of mine would fry the power adapter hooked up to it every few months. Since the motherboard was replaced, no power adapters have been fried... so it makes me wonder if it's possible for a moody PVR or cable modem to fry a splitter every few months)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Two years ago, we got a STREET issue here in the spring.  Right after the thaw.
was a signal issue, for the WHOLE street... but ONLY happened peek hours.

What i was told in the end, what eventually got fixed.. was one of the main lines, in the thaw, has developed a slight crack in the casing.

Under regular load.. wasnt too bad and didnt exibit any major issues.. but PEEK hours when more people watching TV, Internet, etc.. it would show itself.

After they replaced the street line... its been pretty much perfect since.  (the ocassional tech out, i have say when like i switched to the CGN3, are always supprised... "wow.. your signal here is great"  Yah.. only had to deal with 3 months of bad stuff while they fixed the street hardware 😛

@RichardA
Where did they all replace?  Have they changed the one on the OUTSIDE box if there is one, &/or the little coupler out there.

That would be one big thing to check too.  This coupler in that box, is supposed to be GROUNDED to the hydro box out there.
If its not grounded properly... could be burning out?

I Plan to Stick Around

This issue happens every single year. The last time it happened, the tech checked the box on the street and said everything was fine, he checked the box on the side of my house and said he added a new splitter. The issue went away after that.

The times before that, the issue resolved itself after countless calls to techs. Sometimes I dont even bother to call it in, and the issue resolved itself within weeks or a month. It seems I can only go 3-4 months without issue before something pops up again. Typically it occurs in the summer, or just before winter, roughly late April-Late October.

I forgot to mention that the recent issue effects both the phone and internet. The internet randomly cuts in and out, with no indication on the modem lights. The disconnects are short, but bad enough to cause disconnects in online games, hanging web pages, or video rebuffer. When a hard disconnect occurs (modem reset) the phone line cuts out too. I can see both the cable and the phone modem powering back up to establish a new connection.

Last night I decided to try something. i completely disconnected the phone modem (no phone line for today) and just left the cable modem plugged in. So far I have yet to see any issues, that is, any hard disconnects. If that solved the problem then I wonder what the actual issue is? Possibly the amp that is attached to my cable line has gone bad, or maybe the phone modem is causing issues? I might call in today to get a new cable and phone modem to see if there is any issues with hardware. I have a tech coming tomorrow so time will tell if this issue gets resolved.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If its effecting BOTH.. it is LIKELY a signal issue, of some form.
If its like MY issue though.. sometimes the signal issue isnt CONSISTANT.. is always clear when the tech is out 😛

You say you have an amp/signal amplifier?

WHERE is it installed? IE in what sequence from the lines comming in.  Wondering if it might be INTRODUCING problems.

NORMALLY, from my understanding, is that signal amplifiers should NOT be put on the internet or home phone lines, only on TV lines.

I have one at my house, to get the right signal for the TV.
My Layout is as follows.

Line to house

Box outside, connector that grounds the line, then to a splitter there.  Two lines then comming into the house.

One line, goes to a splitter inside, with the internet and home phone modems attached.

Other line, then goes the MOCA adapter (for the whole home PVR), then into the powered amp, then from there out to the 3 TV outlets.