Intermittent Disconnections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent Disconnections

Duh! No, it was over wireless. I should have thought of that. Sorry!

I just re-ran them via wired direct to the modem:

77-78 Mbps down

11 Mbps up

Thanks again for all of your help.

-Jason

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, thats looking better.  Much happier with those results. 

Ok, here's a link to a freebie wifi monitoring application.  It monitors both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks running a/b/g/n.  It doesn't monitor 802.11ac networks, but there is a new pay version out that will.  For $20 US its worth it if you use any 5 Ghz networks.  That new version will run on standard 5 Ghz 802.11n laptops and read the transmit headers off of the 802.11ac networks and show them on the display.  Ok, so getting off the sales job.

Load this on your laptop and have a look at where your network sits in amongst the competition.  If that previous test was on a 2.4 Ghz network, that is absolutely understandable.  2.4 Ghz is tough to operate in as there are only three non-overlapping channels, which everyone is trying to use.  5 Ghz is a much better place to be running in.  If your laptop is dual band, you will see the difference.  There probably won't be many 5 Ghz networks within wifi sight.  By looking at that display, you should be able to see if there are any better channels available, that is, those channels that are either not occupied or that have fewer competing networks, both in terms of numbers and in terms of power levels.  On that graphical display, the lower the power levels for the other networks, the better for you.  The height of the displayed networks equates to the received power at your laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I would still ping off of Tech Support about the high upstream levels.  Ask the CSR to check other modems connected to your tap, or to the node to see if the upstream bit error rates are the same.  The modem displays signal levels but the CSRs test in bit error rates as far as I know.  High upstream levels can produce errors in the date frames.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Datalink,

Thanks for all your help.

I actually have a version of that program installed right now due to some previous channel searching and there is a lot of interference in my area. I'm currently on 2.4, so that advice about 5 ghz is very well taken.

I will follow up with tech support about the tests.

Thanks again!

-Jason

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is the laptop 5Ghz capable?  If so, you might want to consider moving up to a higher rate plan or buying a capable router and running the modem in Bridge mode only.  Not trying to sell anything, but have a look at what you paying now and have a look at what is currently being offered like the 100/10 plan.  With the plan also comes the problematic Hitron modems, but there is light at the end of the tunnel in that regard with new firmware.  Those modems are 5 Ghz capable, so its worth looking at.  It all depends of course on any bundles you might have or any retention plans, as moving up to a higher plan would kill those previous deals.  But...food for thought.

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

@jjasonf

Thanks for letting me know.

Correct the page does not include an opt-out link just instructions. When you say the notifications don't work? What exactly happens? Any difference with other browsers?

If you are unable to opt-out most likely a ticket will have to be escalated to the back end team. Also i would like to reiterate that these notifications should not disrupt your service and we haven't heard of such cases. With majority of our customers receiving these notifications i would expect a case like this to be more widespread, if valid. 

Has anyone in the Community run into a similar case? 

Hoping you get this all figured out soon!

RogersAsif

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Asif,

Here are my reasons for thinking it's related to the notifications:

1. To the best of my knowledge, 64.71.255.194 is a Rogers IP address.

2. This is the IP address and specifically its index.js file that is timing out on occaision on websites.

3. This has happened on different devices and with different browsers.

4. It has never happened with an https connection, only http.

5. The timing of the beginning of the problem roughly coincides when I would have received my 75% warning.

6. I have not received any actual notifications, even though I am over my usage limit.

I'm not saying it affects everyone, perhaps it's only related for some reason to my connection to 64.71.255.194 or to that specific server. I acknowledge that my modem has an upstream signal strength issue, but given the above I think that these issues are coincidental.

So, that's my thinking at present.

As usual, I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can provide.

-Jason

Retired Moderator

Hi Jason

Thanks for feedback! You have brought up some interesting points.

This is just an assumption but maybe something is corrupted and causing the issue.Do you have more then one computer at home?

RogersAsif

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Asif,

Yes, it happens on my laptop, my wife's laptop and my Android smartphone. 

-Jason

Retired Moderator

Thanks for letting me know Jason.

The first thing to do would be getting the signal fixed as upstreams are still in the upper limit. Once we rule that out we can move forward.

To my understanding you have another Tech set to visit your house correct?

RogersAsif

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, like I said, I think the two issues are coincidental, but having the signal strength fixed would be good. Personally, I hope I'm wrong because that might be a simpler fix.

Thanks for your help.

-Jason

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats