Intermittent Disconnections

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent Disconnections

The Amp runs from the box on the side of my house. It was put in for the cable TV you are right, it runs from the box to my garage where it is plugged in. I also spoke too soon, even with the telephone modem unplugged the internet modem just restarted twice in a 5 minute period. It was fine from 4am until now however. I notciced that during the day the issue is more prevalent, at night time a disconnect may happen only once or twice during an extended period of time.

I Plan to Stick Around

And after that post my internet cut out for 17m the modem just kept restarting and trying to establish a connection, this is the first time its happened for this long. The issue is definitely getting worse.

I also just took a look at the line status under the modem. After this long 17min hang time there seems to be another issue.

The upstream only has 1 channel now.....

Power Level:

Channel 1: 47.0 dBmV (ranges from 44-59 sometimes it even shows up as 0)

Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV

Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

And I cant even tell you if my downstream is within spec.

Power Level:                     Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1:   -1.0 dBmV                         40.8 dB

Channel 2:   -0.5 dBmV                         41.3 dB

Channel 3:   -0.6 dBmV                         40.9 dB

Channel 4:   -0.9 dBmV                         40.8 dB

Channel 5:   -0.3 dBmV                         40.9 dB

Channel 6:    0.2 dBmV                         40.8 dB

Channel 7:    0.1 dBmV                         40.4 dB

Channel 8:    0.4 dBmV                         40.3 dB

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, normally it should have 3..

44-59 is the right range that the power level SHOULD be at.. if its droping to zero.. definately a signal problem.

I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yeah, normally it should have 3..

Do we know for sure that all nodes currently have 3 D3 upstream channels deployed?

I can't check mine with the CGN3, but with my DPC3825, I had 4 for a while, then 3, then 1, then back to 3...

I'm an Advisor

@RichardA wrote:

This issue happens every single year. The last time it happened, the tech checked the box on the street and said everything was fine, he checked the box on the side of my house and said he added a new splitter. The issue went away after that.

The times before that, the issue resolved itself after countless calls to techs. Sometimes I dont even bother to call it in, and the issue resolved itself within weeks or a month. It seems I can only go 3-4 months without issue before something pops up again. Typically it occurs in the summer, or just before winter, roughly late April-Late October.

I forgot to mention that the recent issue effects both the phone and internet. The internet randomly cuts in and out, with no indication on the modem lights. The disconnects are short, but bad enough to cause disconnects in online games, hanging web pages, or video rebuffer. When a hard disconnect occurs (modem reset) the phone line cuts out too. I can see both the cable and the phone modem powering back up to establish a new connection.

Last night I decided to try something. i completely disconnected the phone modem (no phone line for today) and just left the cable modem plugged in. So far I have yet to see any issues, that is, any hard disconnects. If that solved the problem then I wonder what the actual issue is? Possibly the amp that is attached to my cable line has gone bad, or maybe the phone modem is causing issues? I might call in today to get a new cable and phone modem to see if there is any issues with hardware. I have a tech coming tomorrow so time will tell if this issue gets resolved.

First, one piece of 'strategy' advice: when talking to Rogers, describe this as a phone problem. (Or a TV problem) Phone is much simpler, there's no possibility of your equipment being the problem, etc., so I think getting the right people at Rogers
out to fix it is more likely to happen if it's described as a phone problem.

Second, keep in mind that the phone modem is a DOCSIS 2 modem, so it's going to behave very similarly to the Internet one. What it sounds like to me is that SOMETHING happens that causes both modems to lose their signal momentarily, and then you see them reacquiring their signal...

Third, do you have digital TV?

I'm an Advisor

@RichardA wrote:

And after that post my internet cut out for 17m the modem just kept restarting and trying to establish a connection, this is the first time its happened for this long. The issue is definitely getting worse.

I may sound cruel, but it getting worse is probably good news...

The less intermittent a problem, the easier it is for the techs to reproduce it and fix it.

What I think you need is for the problem to get escalated to one of the in-house Rogers techs with the big red vans (the full-sized vans, not the minivans the contractors drive). Those guys know what they're doing...

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I do have Rogers digital cable, hence the reason they added an amp to my connection. The last time a sub contractor came over, not very friendly but he managed to solve the issue, atleast for the time being. Everytime a rogers red van comes along I know my issue will get resolved which is why im hoping to get one out here. 

I just went to my garage and unplugged teh AMP from the wall outlet, I want to see if that may be causing the issues. My tv no longer works on the digital boxes, I have my phone unplugged and only the cable modem hooked up to a computer, lets see how long the connection lasts.

My gripe is that instead of running the amp right to the inside of the house from the box, the tech decided to drill a hole into the garage and run a wire all the way to the power outlet which is on the other side of the garage. Id estimate the cable length used on the run is probably 60 ft. When he could have just ran a 20-30ft wire directly into the house.

The minute i unplugged the amp my upstream now has 3 channels, and my downstream power leveled spiked briefly to -2 to -4 on all 8 channels. Now they are back to normal levels and my modem has not lost connection, going on 30 minutes now. Ill run a test to see exactly when my internet disconnects. If it turns out to be the amp thats causing the issue I wonder what rogers will do about it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefully, just a re org of how stuff is cabled and where the amp is placed in the order of things.
Sure sounds like the amp was introducing interference.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Aaaaaaannnnnddd I spoke too soon. Modem reset once again. So there is an issue somewhere else. My lord, I wonder if i can get a red van to come out off the bat, I don't want to have to wait any longer. Assuming a sub contractor comes out and doesn't fix the issue, I then have to wait x amount of days for a red van to come out.
I Plan to Stick Around

Really friendly Rogers technician (RED VAN!) came over today and ran a new line from the box on the street through the trees and to the side of my house. he said the old line was 30 years old. He told me a separate team would come and bury it in the ground, lord I hope my neighbours dont say anything about it! 

Anyway, Ill have to wait and see if any problems occur after this change. If they do, oh man, its back to square one.

My only issue is, how are they going to bury it in the ground? The box is like 4 houses away, is it permanently going to hang in the tree? because to burry it they would have to go through drive ways and sidewalks.