cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Disconnecting and Reconnecting

CiscoVo
I've been here awhile

I'm an existing Rogers customer, maybe for 10+ years so we got the switch over to Rogers Ignite quite late (about a month ago). Switched from the legacy modem and red tv-box to the XB7 White Modem Router and the Tiny Black Wifi TV Box.

Right after the switch in the hardware, we also switched from the 200down to 500down plan. The new speeds were incredible and worked as advertised, minus the stability. The old modem router rarely pooped itself, but after switching to the new one we've had disconnects and high ping spikes on all devices in the household, both wired and unwired.

At that time we called Rogers Tech Support, they inspected the line coming into our home and said it was old and outdated, so they changed our line immediately on the outside the same day (it was real fast). Then they checked our signal using a measurement device and said it was low, and that there was some work being done in the neighborhood. Okay, that was reasonable so I adhered to the tech support's advice by waiting out 10 days until that "fix" was done. I checked every day on the rogers tech support website via the Chat Agent named "Anna"; Anna told me daily that I wasn't the only one experiencing these technical issues and that I should wait and check back later for my issues to be resolved. After like 2.5 weeks (way more than 10 days by the way) it was finally resolved according to Anna, was it resolved? Not at all. So we call in tech support again to replace our modem router just in case. They did it as per request and scratched their heads because our signals were "fine". This was like 3 tech support visits in with 0 solutions, I don't really blame them cause they only know what they're trained. But from a customer standpoint, I can't attend my remote work calls without being dropped, my TV freezes all the time, my family's phone connection drops. Really frustrated, and nobody can solve our problems.

Anybody here have similar issues? and perhaps solutions?

*Added Labels*

89 REPLIES 89

Re: Intermittent Disconnecting and Reconnecting

DayPol
I plan to stick around

As I suspected it was a wide area issue. Yesterday, due to the number of dwellings involved, they chose my house to check all connections, replace coxials, cables, and Wi Fi modem (even though only 5 wks old), to ensure the issue was not my house or the lines coming to my house. They were able to confirm, it was not the dwellings but an issue with Rogers' main. They said to give them 24-30 hrs to rectify. The service call to my house was 11:50 to 218. These service stayed up until approx. 11:18 a.m. today, when it went down again for  awhile. I got my email and internet back, phone is working, and TV in about 25 min. I am hoping they have now resolved the issue. I am happy they put in the effort they have so far to fix the issue. They are trying. I do hope however, that I'm reimbursed for the poor service since install Aug 27 2022 and esp the long down time Oct 2 and Oct 4. Let's just hope the issue is resolved before the 30 hrs is up. Everybody was very polite, caring, and considerate, and I appreciate that. 

kmrock
I've been around

I'm not sure where you're located, but my buddy in Bolton Ontario and myself in Toronto have been having the same issues you have. It's to a point where I think Rogers has a serious network problem. I hope they fix this all across Ontario, because disconnecting is causing me to have to stop playing video games (my passion) due to the fact that the disconnections count as leaving which constitutes a ban from the game.

It's been happening for a month, and I'm so close to switching my ISP...

DayPol
I plan to stick around

Our issue was fixed within 30 hrs, there were two disconnects during that period, one for 25 min and one for 28 min. but there have been no disconnects since, and TV, Internet, Landline, have all been working great. It was an issue at main. New equipment had been installed but it was supposed to give 32 but was giving under 30, so main had to do adjustments. It affects my street and a few attached to it. All has been super since, no issues. The staff was very courteous and caring, and understanding. As long as things stay like this, I have no problem staying with Rogers now. I've been with Rogers for nearly 30 years, prior to that I was with Bell but left Bell because they couldn't get a handle on their service issues. 

DayPol
I plan to stick around

It's my understanding they have been replacing equipment, and is you read my response above you will see how they rectified it. Because so many houses were involved, they checked my house, lines, connectors, etc. and realized it was not a dwelling issues but a wide area issue. They then tested the strength coming in the several dwellings in my area and it was below the min. 32, it was under 30. New equipment has been installed recently as they are in the process of replacing much dated equipment. As I said, they rectified it within the 24-30 hr window and there's been no issues since. 

DayPol
I plan to stick around

I spoke too soon, the issue appears to have returned. First we had 22 min. of the signal dropping every 2-3 seconds then returning and dropping again, etc. The next day it happened again for 28 min. -- both of these days were close to supper time. The next incident was during prime time viewing when major sporting event was on and everything went down from 7:58 p.m. to 8:47 p.m. then seemed okay until about a week later, which was now Fri. Nov. 11 when it went down late at night so I went to bed. I woke up my normal time on Sat. of 5:20 a.m. and everything was still down. The Internet finally came back at 9:27 a.m. but the tv took another 15-20 min. to returned. However, the landline was getting a dial-tone the whole time, so that means they fixed the ability to still call 911 when they go down. I spoke to my neighbours again, and they were all down the same time again, so once again this was a wide-area problem. I don't see why main would not have a lower control limit alarm so that as soon as our area dropped below 32 the alarm would signal attention is needed immediately. So now it's Mon. Nov 14 and we've been okay since it returned Sat. morning, but have no idea how long this will last. Rogers obviously needs to resolve these roving area issues.  I pray nothing like this happens over the Christmas and New Year's weeks! 

Good morning @DayPol!

In this case, I'd like to run some tests on your connection to determine what's going on here. We may need to arrange for a tech to come out to further investigate.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

DayPol
I plan to stick around

That's already been done if you read my messages above and since it involves many houses on my street and the next connected street it was determined it's a wide area problem and can only be fixed at the main. We were told our signal should not go below 32 but it was below 30 and that was causing the disconnects and we were told it was a result of new equipment just installed that needed adjusting. It was good there  for awhile, but now here we go again, so that would indicate our signal for our area is not being monitored to ensure it doesn't drop again below 32. 

DayPol
I plan to stick around

It's sad to say, but my street (multiple houses) were down again TODAY, 11:48 a.m. to 12:04 p.m. and then 12:08 p.m. to 12:52 p.m. and right when I was in the middle of my freelance work to meet a deadline so I could not send my email nor upload to the web. Not cool! This really needs to stop happening! Again the TV came back about 10 min. after the times above for the Internet. 

aboyaci
I plan to stick around

Oh its horrible. My area is likewise the same again for the last 6 days, it keeps cutting off my internet signal. Im on a meeting for work and I cant get a 5 min discussion through without having to get cut off or a screen is frozen. Its just horrible. Rogers is doing nothing to address this. NOTHING. Its been 2 years this is happening on an off, and its the same problem over and over. Rogers only asks for more money. That's all. Keep raising rates.

Greetings @aboyaci!

I'm here to help and do what I can to address this.

The first thing I'd like to do is have a look at your account to look into the history of the issue. Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.   

Regards,

RogersCorey

ontnut86
I've been around

I'm also having the same issue.  Internet can drop 3-4 times in a row for a minute or two at a time, then nothing for a few hours, then more drops.  In a day it may drop 10+ times.  Had a Rogers tech replace the modem, remove any splitters and check internal house lines.  He said everything is good.  Problems returned the next day, so I spoke with live agent who said that we have a "weak signal" and that she needs to escalate to the engineers.  Haven't heard back since.  This has been ongoing for weeks, if not months now.  I am in East York.

aps0306
I've been here awhile

This intermittent disconnecting and reconnecting is happening for over 15 days. Tried callling the support and was on hold for over 30 mins. I was asked to confirm the postal code and after that phone line went silent. No response. retried calling again but same thing...I can hear a murmur in the background but no one is coming to talk. This is weird. 

Rogers need an update in their system with customer base increasing. Currently cant handle the basic service of INTERNET.

DayPol
I plan to stick around

for the most part service has been okay since mid-Nov. We had a day in Dec. where everything disconnected every couple of minutes including third-party apps, and it lasted 28 min. one day and the next day it lasted  24 min. and in both cases it was just around 12:15 (just after noon) when it started. I then said I hope this didn't happen over the holiday weeks, and I couldn't believe it but we made it through both weeks without an incident, and then on Jan 3 everything (phone,TV, Internet) went down for about 90 minutes and of course at prime time when we were in the middle of watching a premier event. There has been nothing since to raise concerns about. again, everytime we went down, our neighbours did too based on conversations as we now step out on our porches and yell to each other "are you down too?" to verify it's a wide-area issue again at the main, and not specific to any one incident. I would say from installation Aug 27 to now,  Rogers is working to improve the service and there has been less and less interruptions. We really only have 2 options in this area, and having been with the other option and it driving me to Rogers years ago, I will stay where I am. 

fastime
I've been around
This is exactly the problem we are having. This summer Bell is putting in a fiber network in our neighborhood, if this continues we will be switching to Bell.

velotech
I've been here awhile

We are all paying Premium prices for a  poor quality, disfunctional service that Rogers absolutely knows about.        We have had this intermittant signal loss problem for a very long time with a strong signal to home and  brand new modem.    The problem is coming from the source. 

gsksim
I've been around

On same boat, having this issue from few months now. Multiple tech visits and multiple modem replacements still no luck. Wonder this is related to capacity issues? Rogers has replaced the box on our street and this issue has worsened since then.

Greetings @gsksim!

If you've had multiple tech visits and modem replacements, your account must have a good, documented history of what's going on with your connection.

I'd like to look into the history of this issue before suggesting any further troubleshooting steps. Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

DayPol
I plan to stick around

Since my last report a couple of weeks ago, there has only been one more incident and it lasted less than 2 min. otherwise (knock on wood) all is good. 

DayPol
I plan to stick around

Everything was already check and done by Rogers, and it was determine the issue is at Rogers Main, and its affecting my neighborhood when it happens, not just my resident, so there is no point in anybody coming out. Main just need to ensure the connection doesn't drop below 32 and everything works fine in our neighborhood then. 

DayPol
I plan to stick around

I knew we'd go down again this week. There were red Rogers flags all over the neighbour and truck team digging up holes all over the place. When they install new equipment, Rogers Main drops our neighbourhood below 32 and then we lose our email, internet, tv, and phones. Again today our whole street and the two side streets were down these times: Tues Jan 24, 2023 - 2:37pm to 5:03 p.m., hen 6:02 p.m. to 6:06 p.m., and then the big one, 6:11 p.m. to 9:13 p.m. Ridiculous service. They know the issue, and they should not be allowing Main to let us go below 32 regardless of maintenance and new installations in the areas. This issue has been happening since at least Aug 27, we have a number of weeks of relatively good periods, just a few disconnects lasting only seconds, and then we get hit with a day like today, multiple days in a row. Difficult to complete deadlines for work and school obligations, and very frustrating for family esp when TV goes down during Prime.

djbustar1
I've been here awhile

Hello

so its Jan 2023 and i'm about ready to call the other guys, so done with this after 25 years with Rogers, hours and hours with different techs and no one can find the issue or blaming it on my tv or my powercord or the apple app, like come on Rogers.  I would like to know if anyone actually got this problem fixed or did you just all leave Rogers? 

Topic Stats