Increase upload speed?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Increase upload speed?

I'm currently 100mbps plan and i was satisfied with current download speed but when it comes to upload speed it was freaking me out. 10mbps not enough. I was doing twitch live streaming and uploading files on the cloud. It takes me a 2gb file in an hour. Is there any way to increase my upload speed but retain my download speed not in a expensive way by changing on higher plans that break my pocket.

*Edited Labels*

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Increase upload speed?

I am on 250/20 , getting 22 on speedtest, I have no problem streaming on twitch. so you might want to upgrade to that plan. there is also Gigabit plan where you get 50 upload but the price is sky high for the moment so you might want to wait.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

that is the problem with most home based internet.. Cable or DSL (even fibe, etc), is that its NOT asynchronous.

The up/down are not the same.. its all in how the protocols, channeling assignments, etc (at least for cable) etc are all done.

Generally though, the higher upload comes with a higher download speed.. but higher package.

To start seeing anying much higher than 50, your getting into direct FIBER.. which is a whole other ballgame.

I'm a Senior Advisor

This is an older thread about upload speeds, but I was looking at the current Ookla results across companies, and although Rogers has the fastest top speeds (keep in mind that is based upon the top 10% speeds provided on average, so 90% will be lower, but not commented on because it is what is the top capable speed that customers are using on average.

But upload is only 20 on average, while Bell is over 30.

My challenge of late is I am doing a lot of geneology work with a very large data file that needs to upload and download.  I currently have 60 10, but limited bandwidth.  What I neeed is higher up, and higher bandwidth.  The only option is 150 under my current plan, some say it is 100, but that is not what I was told.

So I pay more for download speed, of which I am not downloading that much, and a speed just under 3x faster doesn't matter with my software because it downloads most of the data in the background, so it really doesn't matter how long, and they have put in a huge compression ration, so a 60GB data folder is shrunk to 6GB, so the download is really not an issue,  but the upload struggles at 10 and takes a long time to complete and most of it is not in background.

So I can get 15 up on the 150 (50% faster), unlimited, and far more download speed than I need (but it sure looks good on Ookla and whitebox reports though for marketing purposes).  I can get the same 150 and 15 up from a 3rd party over the same cable infrastructue, unlimited for the same discounted price Rogers offers new customers, but not current.  the 150, is more than the 250 the 3rd party provides.  Sure I have to buy equipment one time, but I do that often when I can anyway.  And I get tv free for 6 months, and free install, no contracts, and the choice of my desired stations, for almost 40% less than the same mix from Rogers.

So Rogers, fast speed download may look great, but often is not really needed, and Bell will catch up as the FTTH keeps rolling out, and the 3rd party providers will be speeding up as the full ruling of the big ones providing their full Fibre network to all wholesale purchasers.

So my decisions involved many factors, upload being extremely important at this time, download at 60 meets my needs, and I can get unlimited which I need from the 3rd parties, but Rogers forces higher costs and speeds at me in order to get the unlimited, but not the upload speeds.

Bruce

@BS

While I agree with evertything you just said, Rogers is not equipped to deliver higher upload until they enable DOCSIS3.1 on the upstream. After they do so, I hope they will increase upload on existing package, my package 250/20, Should be upgraded to 250/100 to match BELL FTTH, if they can't match Bell.. at least make it 250/50.

Hopefully it's part of Rogers's marketing plan after a successful D.31 on the Upstream.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I agree, that is why although I have been talking a lot about options as of late, I just can nail down my decision of what I want and where I want to go.  I am probably dropping all TV and home phone and keeping Internet, but if some company wants to give me free TV for a while, I won't say no if I am getting the Internet performance at a price I want.

Once Rogers gets that in place, the wholesalers will be permitted to buy and use that pipe too.  But I have to decide in next couple of months when we are going to see a dramatic change in income and tough decisions have to be made.  End of day, will be performance I need, and unlimited, and price and TV and phone will be VOIP solutions, and TV will be a mixture of antenna and OTT solutions over the Internet - again the need for unlimited, but speed since we are a one tv family and two person computer usage, we really don't need much.

Bruce

I believe this fall will be an interesting time to see what Rogers has planned for us. In the meantime let's hope for the best,

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I'm currently a Rogers customer on Gigabit connection, which hits constantly 940 Mbps DL, but the 32 Mbps UL max, which is a ridiculous ration of 30 to 1. When I see the DL and UL speeds at Bell, I'm seriously considering the switch.

ROGERS people: when will you wake up? when customers cancel and you scramble around with discounts to try to solve an artificial limitation? That would be too late.

Seriously ROGERS reps, any serious plans to increase upload speeds soon? Otherwise I'm gone by January when 2-year contract ends.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My understanding its partially the technology.

With cable technology.. I believe there are some limitations.
I think it CAN go higher than what it is right now, but it wont be 1:1.

Generally that I have seen, the only time you will see 1:1, is when you are on direct fiber.

For sure,

But I'd be happy with 300 mbs upload on Gigabit Plan with D3.1 on the upstream would already be miles better than 30 mbs.