Improving WIFI speeds on CGNM-3552 using 2.4 Ghz Band

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Improving WIFI speeds on CGNM-3552 using 2.4 Ghz Band

I have the CGNM-3552 with the latest beta firmware and a 500/20 internet service.  Using the 5 Ghz band, I can get about 350 Mbits/sec on my iPad Air 2 which is pretty decent.  I have a Motorola Moto E Gen 2 cell phone that I use on wifi (only supports 2.4 Ghz) and the fastest speed I get is about 47 Mbps/sec download.  I believe this is close to the max speed I can get on a 20 Mhz channel based on what I can gather from here: http://mcsindex.com/.  I suspect the second wifi network bug on the Hitrons is also zapping some speed from the modem as well.

With that said, is there a way to enable 40 Mhz wide channels on the 2.4 Ghz band so that I can get about 70 Mbps on my 2.4 Ghz devices?

I have asked Rogers in the past to do this and they keep getting confused about this and tell me it is already setup when it is not.  They mistake it for the 5 Ghz band which operates at the 80 Mhz band.  They said that the 40 Mhz band is turned off to prevent network congestion but I don't have any issues with this in that I have a proper channel configured which should be fine.  Here is the thread that I opened in the past:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/334...

I never had issues with 40 Mhz on my old Netgear Nighthawk R7000 with this setup but don't understand why this is an issue with Rogers.  If I get my own router and move the modem into bridge mode, I end up getting LESS speed then just using the Rogers solution.  

Would someone be able to assist me?

Thanks

***Added Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Improving WIFI speeds on CGNM-3552 using 2.4 Ghz Band

As I indicated in my response to your previous post:  

You would have to call Tech Support to change the 2.4 Ghz Channel Bandwidth to 40 Mhz.  However, if the modem or any router detects that the co-channel required for 40 Mhz operation is busy, the modem or router will revert to a 20 Mhz wide channel.  In the 2.4 Ghz band, its usually very difficult if not impossible to find a base channel that has a clear co-channel, allowing you to run a 40 Mhz wide channel.

Note that its not the modem or router that determines if the 40 Mhz channel can be used, its the end device.  The modem or router requests a clear channel check from the target device, and that device returns with an indication that the 20 Mhz co-channel required to run the 40 Mhz wide channel is either free for use, or its already occupied.  If the co-channel at the receiving end is occupied by another modem or router, then your modem or router will default to a 20 Mhz wide channel despite having 40 Mhz set for use.  That is part of the 802.11 specification.

Its possible that if you call tech support to set the modem for 2.4 Ghz 40 Mhz wide channels, that the setting is not available.  Perhaps it has been removed as an option for the 2.4 Ghz networks or was never present in the first place.  I believe Apple has had that policy forever.  So, you might not have any luck with this. 

If you look at the 5 Ghz settings you will see the Channel Bandwidth setting as a user selectable option.  That Channel Bandwidth does not exist as a user selectable option in the 2.4 Ghz settings for the CGNM-3552 with firmware version 4.5.9.22 loaded.  I don't recall if it was ever available with the previous firmware versions as I use an Asus router and run the modem in Bridge mode.  Maybe the reason for the confusion is that the option you are looking for is simply not available for the techs to select, so they automatically assume that you are referring to the 5 Ghz network Channel Bandwidth selection.  You would have to ask the CSR very specifically if the selection is present in the 2.4 Ghz wifi control section.  If the answer is no, then, you're out of luck.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Datalink I understand everything that you are saying about the channel conflicts typically found in the 2.4g range, but what I don't buy is the tech explanation that was given to @mahomed .

Before the upgrade, I had no issue at all with getting 60 and above on the 2.4g channel, which I typically use the most because of some unfortunate dead spots in my home and where the metal structural support beams happen to be located as well as concrete wall in some inconvient locations.  5g, I cannot even hold a signal due to the dead spots, so it flips back to 2 as the 5 fails due to too much packet loss - this is on any device that has both.

What has me at a loss, is why I could get stable fast speeds prior to the upgrade, stable for the over year that I have had the current modem, with no change in the location and no additional users in my neighbourhood.  Because of the design of all the houses in this area, very few of us can get signals on any band or channel outside our homes, and I  have never been able to see anymore than four routers in my neighbourhood that put out a signal that my search using one of the softwares to search for networks and channels recommend in the forums to even register with anything but a very tiny signal which means they pop in and out as I move around the house.

So I left with no comprehension of how this loss in performance has occurred in the last month, and that others are reporting the same issue since the upgrades to the firmware.  There is not a lot of reporting going on, but I don't have the tools to fully diagnose what is going on, nor the time, and for now, I have just not been able to get through to tech support at any time of the day (at least within 15 minutes, and I don't have the patience to wait longer.

For now, I do my best with the signals I have - for the types of browsing and internet work I do, even the ugly 4mbs that it sometimes reports, I can live with it and when out of the dead spots, the 5 g performs more than adequately providing me more than the 60 - 10 that I pay for.

So, I think that @mahomed is just fishing for some ideas to this conundrum like me and others. 

I still say, how can a modem that had a high level of performance, suddenly degrade to the point of being almost unusable on 2.4 g at times and the only change has been the firmware.  When I left for holidays, performance was great, now it is unpredicatable when I returned - no changes in any of my devices, or setup on the router, accept for a clear reboot with the upgrade while I was away.

I can usually keep up with most of your explanations and knowledge @Datalink, but this was has got me stumped.  Will try tech support during a less busy week.

If anyone hears of something that fixes each of us that is having these issues, let us all know, which I am sure you will.  For now, we keep trouble shooting and in my case, I just work around the issue - not a new experience with the current state of much of the modern technology - me thinks that the market is pushing the industry for change and they are moving with that demand in order to be competetive without good strong design and testing.  Given how fast some of the changes in firmware is occuring on TV's, settop boxes, even my bluetooth connection in my car needs an upgrade from onstar, which I have to open a 30 day trial to get because the dealer will install it, but wants to charge for it, along with routers, and phones, and left over deficiencies, that just never get dealt with because they are not priorities.  I am not saying this is unique to Rogers, I am suggesting it is within the whole electronics industry.  Makes me worry a bit about automomis driven cars. How would anyone like it if a firmware update came out that suddenly restricted the car to half of its speed.  Just a bit of light humour.

Thanks for the ongoing support and trouble shooting.  For me, I will have to wait, I am beyond my knowledge level now and will wait for tech support, which hopefully in my case, they will find something unique to my neighbourhood, or own line, which may be the case for others too.

Any readers of these threads, can people comment if you got the most recent upgrade - sorry, can't remember the current version (mine ends in 21), I think there may be a 22 out there and that many of us with the issue are in the 20's.  Anyone out there on an older build by off chance, or on different routers not running into this issue.  That is the only trouble shooting left that I can think of - what is different between those of us with problems and those without.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I did a speed test and here is the max speed I can get on 2.4 Ghz (from the 500 Mbit service):

2.4 ghz.jpg

Here is a scan of all the networks going around:

wifi scan.jpg

Notice the number of "Ghost" Hitron network in my area.  It is congested enough without having this as an added headache to deal with.  Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mahomed, even when the beacon is disabled I don't think it will change your 2.4 Ghz wifi data rate, if that is what you are hoping for.  On CGN3ACSMR running 250/20, I think the best I ever saw from a 2.4 Ghz network was just over 100 Mb/s.  Looks like there are a number of other modems and routers in your neighborhood, so, it looks like your probably seeing the best that you will ever see on the 2.4 Ghz network.

Edit:  Can you delete the speedtest as it has your modem's IP address on it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Although I agree with your analysis about local networks at 2.4G level @Datalink, I don't get why the sudden deteriation after the upgrade, but I am not going to worry about it further - something happened, and hopefully the engineers are reviewing it - on our side, we are all just guessing. But thanks everyone for the ideas.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Datalink  I think that my issue is that we don't know what the impact of removing the beacon will be. And I trust what you "think", due to your knowledge and experience, but how about Rogers at least give it a try - there seems to be enough of these ghost Hitron networks floating around - if it has a purpose, just tell us and we will live with it.  For now we are left living with it, and being frustrated as we get no explanation of why it was done, and our own belief and feelings that we have seen a large drop in performance since this upgrade and the ghost appeared, but we don't know either, we can only think this is the reason in absence of data.

Honesty from Rogers tech would go a real long way.

Bruce

One last question - you have suggested deleting things, but we can't on our own, we would have to go the a moderator to do that.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS, taking care of the beacon is on the to do list for the modems.

There is a three hour window to modify a post. After that window you would have to ask a moderator to make any changes or deletions.  

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Good to hear that it is on the to-do list.  Thanks, Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

I'm experiencing bad wifi signal strength with this modem is there any settings I need to change I'm on the firmware .21 , the rocket modem would give me full bars this on only gets me 2-3 bars