Improving WIFI connection stability in your home from the Rogers Hitron Gateways.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Improving WIFI connection stability in your home from the Rogers Hitron Gateways.

We have a local Internet, networking, home security, and modern HD antenna models.  They are experts in all these areas, and provide services to many large enterprise, small business, community outdoor WIFI access points, warehouses, and corporate offices, as well as TV over the air from Antenna.  They only sell what they are comfortable with supporting and reliability.

I asked them to do an assessment of my home as my WIF has always been bad - I have those dusty spots that the competitor with the blue mesh systems show in their ads, while that wonderful comfortable, old home and their ad that we have connectivity in the bedrooms, living room and our basements.

Well not in my house.

I have tried routers in bridge mode, extenders, access points, repeater, the whole mix (I borrow a product for a day and see how it goes) and use the available WIFI analyzers to guide best placement and impact on performance.

Well, here was the outcome -

#1.  In a home like mine that is long narrow and tall - typical medium density (not that little old family home square on the Rogers ad, while the blue guys show a typical modern house with all its modern mechanical, interference and structural design of our house solid WIFI connection will be unstable on the current Rogers model and any modern high or low density community.

He also flagged that my poor LTE on my phone is a result of the building structure and cell tower locations in my area, and that a Cell Repeater would be necessary to covercome that issue.  - They reality of new building structure and the general practices at this time.

# 3.  His recomendations - If I want to stay with Rogers, (we have heard this one before) - pay to have them come in and move my coax cable moved to an optimum location (rogers can do that too at fee, but they do it at a fee too but also do the full analysis to determine the best location (generally main floor away from furnace room, and major reflective walls, in particular metal and concrete - but this is achieved by analyzing the signal in the house with a signal WIFI generator they move around and go around house dermining best options.

Also, bridge the Hitron into modem mode (they actually use the modem exclusivity to prepare for the high speeds of 100 and over, but can still run non Hitron modems on the lower end - they have had no reliability with hitron and have gone Huwaiai and another one I forget for 60 and below.

He didn't suggest any paricular router, but he did say go with wave forming, monitoring, full feature sets related to VPN, port fording, etc and they also offer overwriting stock software with one of the open source ones to expand your functionality.

He also suggested get one of the new routers that can be pure router, or repeater, or access point depending upon what analysis suggests is your best options.

#4. I asked about Bell's Whole Home Mesh systems or the other alternatives, and he said that is probably the optimum solution these days, but unfortunately, they don't come cheap.

Repeater WIFI modules like a D-link or link sys is poorest due to being not powerful enough to handle the back flow.

He ranged them in this order - repeater mesh - like Bell are best solutions available with least work for customer, but best mesh systems are those like Ubiquiti which are primarily enterprise solutions and large campus settings, and require cat 6 or 7 or optic from the modem to the router.

You then place either access points or the mesh system in - mesh preferably if you can afford it, but you have installation, testing, but the company provides permanent monitoring of the device to trouble shoot.

#5. He said, since Rogers does not provide free support in the home for analysis, for proper choice of alternatives (Hitron gateway or nothing), and any cabling runs you have to pay for the, and as he suggested, why not go to a smaller company that has done it for 30 years and whose speciality is not BDU, cable, network, high end competition with competitors, they just service wholesale implementions of cable of FTTN, and they are responsible for contacting Rogers for problems, and they know your home, they have a drawing of your house and layout on file, and full description of your equipment and layouts, so they know exactly what they are trouble shooting.

Flat out he did say that the model advertised in financial reports that they were moving to one gateway with plug and play connectivity to TV, Internet, Phone and Home Security is fraught with problems and in his opinion, the industry has to view a home as a downscaled version of a large enterprise, or office, or large user small business, that although smaller, the best practice for larger scale is the same for small scale, you just use less equipments.  Have you ever seen a Rogers tech do a full analytical assessment of your home layout, and signal strengths, then recommend the best products available, or do they always find the most convienent spot to drop a coax drop, turn on your gateway and set it up, and confirm that it is getting signal from Rogers, but do they walk around and confirm that all equipment in the home works optimally, recommend cabling (the company kept saying optimum is cable runs to the mesh and repeaters/access points, or routers, not wifi to wifi repeating if it can be avoided.

Fortunately my home is run already, but they did recommend that I fish back my Cat 5e and jacks and move to 6 or 7 (but that my Cat 53 would still be fine for my needs).  I can run it, or they will at fee of course.

Think of it as service a car or a furnace - there are small things we can do, but for the furnace and car, we hire trained techs to do the work - we change the filter, but we don't test a circuit board, other than the flashing lights, but we don't start doing major trouble shooting - that is why people either pay when it happens and set money aside, or hit credit, or go rental or monthly maintenance agreement.

By the way, as I said the the tech, even with Rogers did all this, after my experience over the last few years, and all the questions on these boards, around poor installation and testing of home services in many cases, and serious questions about the skills of the contracted staff and their committment to Rogers customers, I said, I think I will pay the extra money for a system that works as designed for my home, and I don't have to constantly be figuring out the best configuration on my own.  I know how to do it, but I am retired, I don't want to do it and this is one I will pay for.

So technology is changing, and in my own opinion and that of the tech that did the professional service of analyzing and making recommendations at (200.00) partial rebate if I buy product and service from them - like getting your car checked - if you agree to do the work, they often rebate the cost of diagnosis - Rogers is treading into unknown territory with the gateways, as are all the companies - Bell is the first to activly put out Mesh in our locals, others around the world have done it too, and you pay a larger install fee for everything because a lot of it is not self install.

Rogers wants to go full self install - it may work as they guy said, but he said, you are suffering with poor installation.  When you got Rogers, you put the modem (modem only) in a location and the guy gave you an extra 75 feet of run in the cable so you could move it around, I just have to do that now, feeding through walls in a few places from one room to the other, looking at conduit, etc (I will pay the other company to do that thank you), then here is your gateway, with all its speed, its fancy AC, wave forming that may not be well developed or still in testing, and a poorly designed home it won't make any differences - he said, two of my antennas were just broadcasting agains the wall and reflecting all over the room and interfering all over the place, and that as you go higher speeds like 5G, you lose interference of 2.4G, and a stronger signal, but it is highly impacted by bulding structure and line of sight.

Rogers has a good FAQ in place that you can read and see just what the real limitations, and that most recommendations will cost you money, and some of that is in the fine print when you buy, but did the CSR ever tell you that?

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/optimize-your-internet-speed-and-wi-fi

There was a very detailed description that I can't find, it is in one of my earlier posts on the topic - that goes into bridge modes, interference, extenders, routers, building structure, etc, and in my case, in my post, I comment on how I had tried everything presented and had no success.

So I went to an outside compay -  by the way, note to Rogers, the moment I am forced to an outside company, I begin to consider just moving everything, because they do everything but TV, but provide support on OTA setup and equipmemtn, and moving to combined OTA and OTT and offer the same Rogers connection, wholesale based, cheaper, at end of promotions, they initiate finding a cheaper or similiar solution, you can walk in and talk to your dedicated tech team and back end support, do Home phone - voip - they have dedicated voip servers/pbx's.

Yes you have to pay for equipment, but we also pay for it from Rogers on rental - you buy, or rent to own in a year, and it is paid on savings in 8 months, and then savings are yours totally from that point on.

So - problems with getting best WIFI and connectivity in your home, sure read here, contact Rogers, read the FAQ's, but also consider hiring a long term company with highly skilled dedicated technicians, who you can talk to personally anytime.

We do have choices, and it may cost you a bit more, be a different model, but weight the pros and cons and costs and decide what your value for price is.

Something to think about.

Bruce

***EDITED LABELS***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Improving WIFI connection stability in your home from the Rogers Hitron Gateways.

I am still leery of any company pushing out a mesh network.

Yes.. All of them need to work on getting their coverage to be able to work across peoples homes.

A mesh network, is one way.. relatively easily at least compared to stuff like putting in a proper 2nd access point.
But really to be properly installed  you need someone who knows what their are doing.
Its not really as simple as putting them in place just wherever.
Its really can almost be giving people false positives.  Its the nature of any 'repeater' type setup, which is what these are.
Its all based on signal..  and thats where people may see the false positive.  They show connected on their device, on look, full bars, due to the mesh repeaters, great!  But thats only the signal between the device and repeater.
Its still all based on the signal then from the main router, TO the closest repeater... if thats poor, all it will do is continue passing on the poor signal.

Overall, thats one of the BIGGEST issues I see with almost any provider now... most of the time, all the techs are able to do (let alone trained to do) is come in, and set up the box, thats it. 
Putting the claims on commercials, etc... CAN it potentially do those ranges, etc? Sure.. in the right house, with it placed properly..  but 8/10 times, its NOT.

Most of the time, its placed down by the demarc spot..  as thats the only way to easy put it.
Optimally, i would say most of the time it would be better served to be putting it in a persons living room.  But most of the time, the living room only has ONE cable connection, and if they have TV.. its occupied.
And as you said, its not easy to run an extra line TO that area, without incurring many extra costs.

I would almost like to see builders putting in multi taps in each room when built.. 1-2 coax per room, 1-2 RJ jacks (leave them as a multi jack, does 11 and 45, then you just terminate them as needed at the demarc), etc.  Would help in a lot of cases for these.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Improving WIFI connection stability in your home from the Rogers Hitron Gateways.

Hello. Would WoCan you provide information .as to what type of company i should br looking for that would analyse and do the set up you are describing,. I sm in toronto toronttorontorotort..a link...to one company .perhaps..so i would know what to look for.  Thank you.

Highlighted

Good morning @icemaster!

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide you with more information with regards to Wall to Wall WiFi! It really is a great solution for homes that have difficulty with full WiFi penetration. Please PM us and I will answer any questions you may have about this product.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Contrary to my previous post.. 

Having used the Eero MESH from Rogers... it seems to work pretty well.

They still need to be set up PROPERLY to get proper good signal around the house..
(which I am not sure 100% how trained rogers is on this)