Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

@Alex4161 wrote:

I currently have the XB6 modem with a 500 Mbit internet plan and Ignite Premier service.  I am reading about the XB7 modem and wanted to know what benefits will it have over XB6 and specifically:

- Is the range for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz improved?

- Does the unit run cooler as my XB6 gets pretty warm

- Is it quieter as the XB6 fan is audible about 6 feet away from the modem

- I find that the XB6 modem seems to disconnect every so often.  I am not sure if this is a signal issue or something else.  I rebooted the modem 2 days ago and my signal levels are listed below.  

WiFi range should be comparable.  Power levels are limited by government regulations, and remember that the modem's WiFi is only one half of the connection.  The quality of the connection and range is also limited by the transmit power and quality of the antenna of the mobile device as well.  Transmit power on mobile devices is limited (by design) to extend battery life.

Some people say that the fan is quieter on the XB7 but these are probably subjective opinions.  Fan noise seems to differ from one XB6 unit to another, and I am sure that the same will hold true for the XB7.  These units also run A LOT quieter when placed in a cool area with good ventilation.

Any of a number of things could be causing your disconnects, so you have to work with Rogers to get those issues resolved.  One thing that stands out in your stats is the 8299 Uncorrectable Codewords errors on your downstream DOCSIS 3.1 channel.  That number should be zero, or close to zero.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161  One other thing: If you have problems with Wi-Fi range and/or experience poor Wi-Fi performance, you probably need to look at where you have placed your Wi-Fi modem/router/access point and look for things that could be interfering with or impeding range... and be mindful of the things that can make Wi-Fi perform poorly.

For more info, check out these articles:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/remote-work-lagging-if-you-cant-plug-it-in-upgrade-to-mesh/

brianzheng
I've Been Here Awhile

I've had the XB6 and XB7 side by side and the XB7 is without a doubt slower and have lower range than the XB6. When comparing speeds at farther distances, the XB7 is about 30-40% slower than the XB6. On all devices the signal strength is lower on the XB7 than the XB6. This is not surprising because the XB7 only has 4 antennas for 5GHz while the XB6 has 8 antennas for 5GHz. I do not recommend upgrading from the XB6 to the XB7 unless you need Wi-Fi 6, need the 2.5G LAN port, or have 2nd gen Wi-Fi pods to extend the range. The 2nd gen Wi-Fi pods are fantastic with excellent speed and range and I can get close to the advertised 600mbps maximum speed. 

Mrcanada1968
I Plan to Stick Around

What is the cost of the 2nd Gen Wi-Fi pods and do have a model number?
Alex4161
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thank you for the info. I don't have any issues with wifi range or speed and just thought the XB7 is better. I can have a tech come by to check out my signal if you think it is not good
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There won't be any difference in the chipsets between the XB6 and XB7.  As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any new chipsets designed by Broadcom or Maxlinear, who bought out Intel's Home Connected Division.  Broadcom is possibly designing and fabricating the next DOCSIS 4.0 chipset, Maxlinear, who knows, given the recent take-over.  

As has been pointed out, the XB6 has 8 antenna for 5 Ghz purposes versus the 4 antenna on the XB7.  For that reason, I'd expect the XB6 to provide better wifi performance.  

Now, if your interest is in the 2.5 Gb/s port, then the XB7 is definitely the preferred modem.  With that, you'd have to have a 2.5 Gb/s port on a pc, switch or router in order to take advantage of the modem's 2.5 Gb/s port.  I've seen a post where a speedtest, modem to pc via the 2.5 Gb/s port topped out at 1.2 Gb/s.  The best that you're going to see on a gigabit port is about 940 Mb/s.  

saokhwa
I've Been Here Awhile

How do we sign up for the upgrade to XB7 gen 2
SpeedyC

Hi.

This morning around 3:30am my XB7 rebooted on its own.

When I called Rogers Tech Support, they confirm there was a firmware upgrade causing the modem to reboot.

1. Can some confirm the below is the latest firmware?

2. I noticed there the following thread ... is there a similar one for the XB7, and if not, may we start one?

I figure the XB7 will have its own unique list of features and issues that merit discussion.

XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/XB6-Modem-Settings-Requests-Firmware-Discussion/td-p/...

XB7 Firmware - 2021 05 06.JPG

dmfan
I Plan to Stick Around

That is the version on my XB7, and it was pushed to my modem more than 4 days ago.

SpeedyC

Hi.

Say we can't log into 10.0.0.1 nor the app ... how can we factory reset the XB7?

Thanks.