cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

timdesouza
I'm here a lot

I've seen ref to a Gen 2 Ignite Gateway modem Easy Setup Guide – Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem (Gen 2) – XB7 | Rogers - Rogers and it looks like there are more ethernet ports based on the images provided but I would like to know if there is more to it than just the extra ports. A search of Rogers.com only returns the link above and nothing else. I'm interested to know does it support wifi 6 technology.

Thx.

Tim.

*** Edited Labels ***

Tim
Long time Rogers customer
158 REPLIES 158

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Tmothy12
I'm a reliable contributor
I'm assuming the requirements to get an XB7 have changed over time. We were having internet dropouts and a tech just came and swapped our XB6 for the XB7 unasked. We don't have gigabit or 500u either. Connection has been stable so far.

alp1
I've been here awhile

The Gen2 / XB7 is not a WiFi6 product. The Gen2 WiFi spec. would be 802.11 n/ac whereas WiFi6 would be 802.11 n/ac/ax.

Al

alp1
I've been here awhile

I was updated by the service tech No Charge. Guess I complained too much.

Al

alp1
I've been here awhile

Latency has many causes and rarely the router is the problem. Most likely the connecting infrastructure from the house back to the target web site. Comparing Rogers and Bell would be a bit misleading.

alp1
I've been here awhile

Uhhh! What technical science leads you to this? Gen1, Gen2 and Gen3 would all be compatible but only with the weakest point. Maybe it is confusion due to phrasing.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@alp1 wrote:

The Gen2 / XB7 is not a WiFi6 product. The Gen2 WiFi spec. would be 802.11 n/ac whereas WiFi6 would be 802.11 n/ac/ax.

The (Gen2) XB7 gateway does support 802.11 a/n/ac/ax , so you will be able to attain the higher data rates that WiFi 6 offers.  However, it does not support WPA3 encryption.

Tmothy12
I'm a reliable contributor
An unexpected alert even popped up on my laptop saying the connection was now improved with Wifi 6 when I first got the XB7 router. And that was from the PC itself, not from Rogers.

celiguy
I've been around

Got an Xb7 today. Logged into it and saw the Rogers management notice. My modem is stuck on the 80MHz band for the 5 G channel and I can't change it to the 120. I wanted to use it to tether my Quest 2 wirelessly. Not impressed with this at all. Rogers is basically cutting my service by not allowing me to manage my own gear. Thinking of researching  a new provider since I can only get 300GB to my pc wirelessly. My plan is 500GB.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@celiguy  Unless you have Pods installed, you should still have control over channel channel selections and channel width, and be able to select a 160 MHz channel width.  If you are using the web interface to configure the gateway, you will need to manually select a compatible channel before you increase the channel width.  However, if the conditions for WiFi in your area are not great, doubling the channel width won't necessarily double your throughput.

BriDarl
I've been around
, "you should still have control over channel channel selections and channel width, and be able to select a 160 MHz channel width. If you are using the web interface to configure the gateway, you will need to manually select a compatible channel "

How do you do this? I believe Rogers has denied access to most of the gateway controls! I get very poor performance with the XB7. Speed, latency and jitter are all subpar. I believe that is normal for the XB7 and ignite service.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BriDarl wrote:
, "you should still have control over channel channel selections and channel width, and be able to select a 160 MHz channel width. If you are using the web interface to configure the gateway, you will need to manually select a compatible channel "

How do you do this? I believe Rogers has denied access to most of the gateway controls! I get very poor performance with the XB7. Speed, latency and jitter are all subpar. I believe that is normal for the XB7 and ignite service.

Using a web browser, go to http://10.0.0.1/  -- Log in as admin, default password is "password"

You can configure the basic gateway functions.  However, you cannot configure more advanced functions, such as port forwarding.  To configure Pods, Parental Controls, port forwarding, enable/disable Advanced Security, etc., you can only do this using the Ignite WiFi mobile app,  Also, as soon as you have Pods associated with your Ignite Internet account, many of the Wi-Fi configuration options get "greyed out" in the web admin UI.

joejenkins
I've been here awhile

Were you able to ask rogers to upgrade you? or did they automatically upgrade you when (if?) you increased your internet speed to provide the newer modem to handle the increased speeds?

Topic Stats