Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

@RogersLaura wrote:

Just to clarify, you are saying that you are unable to select the radio button for "Manual"? Is it just greyed out for you?

An alternative would be to simply reboot your modem and that should change the channel for you. I'll also tag in some of our more tech savvy Resident Experts @-G- @Gdkitty @ColdGranite to see if they can assist any further. 

As far as I know, on new installs, like it or not, the Ignite WiFi Hub will always enabled and once the Ignite WiFi Hub takes over management of the gateway, most of your Wi-Fi management needs to be done through the Ignite WiFi Hub.  It should still be possible to manually change WiFi channels through the Hub UNLESS you have Ignite Pods installed... at which point, the WiFi channel management becomes automatic.  (That's not necessarily a bad thing)

With channel selection set to Auto, the gateway should still continue to change channels dynamically in response to current conditions.  The modem should also rescan Wi-Fi channel usage on start-up so a reboot may help.

Deploying Wi-Fi in high density environments is very tricky.  The best thing that you can do, for everybody's sake, is to make sure that you yourself do not have a bad Wi-Fi installation; that you do not have any devices with weak/marginal connections.  It makes you a better neighbour and also makes your own installation more stable if another neighbour (using the same frequencies) has a bad Wi-Fi installation that starts causing problems.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC wrote:

I live in a building with lots of other residents with Wi-Fi, and in the past I have found that changing the channel to one that is not used a lot nearby me  (but still one of 1, 6, or 11)  resolved the issue.

Channels 1, 6 and 11 use frequencies that do not overlap with each other, and you use that to your advantage when planning high density Wi-Fi deployments that you have full control over.  However, in your case, a neighbour using channel 3 with a problematic Wi-Fi installation will cause problems for those using channels 1 and 6 and all channels in between.  The situation becomes worse if any of those others affected also have problematic Wi-Fi installations of their own.

SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi -G-.

I don’t have pods installed.

But I still can't change the Wi-Fi channel neither by connecting to http://10.0.0.1/ nor using the Rogers Ignite Wi-Fi Hub iOS app ... they both tell me these settings are managed automatically.

Can you show me how you managed to change the Wi-Fi channel please?

Or if I want full control, should I go back and connect my D-Link router?

I really prefer less clutter ...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SpeedyC wrote:

I don’t have pods installed.

But I still can't change the Wi-Fi channel neither by connecting to http://10.0.0.1/ nor using the Rogers Ignite Wi-Fi Hub iOS app ... they both tell me these settings are managed automatically.

Can you show me how you managed to change the Wi-Fi channel please?

You can also try using https://ignitewifi.rogers.com ...but if the iOS app says that the Wi-Fi channels are managed automatically, I suspect that the web app will say the same.

I would suggest calling call tech support to find out what is preventing you from making the changes that you require.  If you don't have Pods associated with your account, you should still be able to do things such as disable Band Steering and manually assign WiFi channels.

Another possible solution is to get Rogers to disable the Ignite WiFi Hub on your account.  They don't seem to be willing to do that anymore but if that is something that you REALLY want, I would still ask, and escalate if the support tech says that this is not possible.

Or if I want full control, should I go back and connect my D-Link router?

I really prefer less clutter ...

If you want full control, the only way to get that is to run your home network over your own infrastructure.

HOWEVER, once you do have full control, the onus is then completely on you to keep your Wi-Fi network optimized going forward.  Auto mode is so much better today than it was 20 years ago... and the AI in the back-end, that runs and constantly optimizes modern Wi-Fi mesh networks, does a better job that any human could... especially in dynamic environments.

I'm still not convinced that a channel change is required.  If you have devices that are dropping off of Wi-Fi, it could be due to any of a number of problems, usually poor connectivity... and there are a lot of things that can disrupt and interfere with 2.4 GHz channels.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/remote-work-lagging-if-you-cant-plug-it-in-upgrade-to-mesh/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/the-ars-technica-semi-scientific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point...

aelaan
I Plan to Stick Around

I have asked Rogers to upgrade my modem, I have gotten 4 XB6 modems and the issue is that they all make a whining noise that drives me bonkers.  I have asked and always have been a customer in good standing, for some reason, they are unwilling to tell me, the request is denied.  One tech came out and had an XB7 on the truck, but they are only to be distribute them to new customers....?  So here I am working from home with earplugs in... yah, this is 2021. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aelaan  What speed Internet service do you have?  I have heard that the XB7 gateways are only being given to customers with a 500u service or faster, and an even those new customers are also still getting XB6 gateways as well.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

500 Mbps
Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

We've been having issues with the XB6 suddenly. It would probably be a good time to upgrade but it seems the XB7 is still pretty hard to get. Currently on Ignite 150U.
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tmothy12 wrote:
We've been having issues with the XB6 suddenly. It would probably be a good time to upgrade but it seems the XB7 is still pretty hard to get. Currently on Ignite 150U.

The XB7 supports Wi-Fi 6 and has some faster electronics internally but does not offer any new features in its software.

The XB6 was designed to support a Gigabit Internet service, more than adequate for any speed tier that Rogers currently offers, and the XB6 has also been in the field longer so it has the edge when it comes to software stability.

You should contact Rogers Support for any service issues that you are experiencing.  There may be valid technical reasons to "downgrade" to the XB6 but I am not aware of any service-related issues (at least none that have been reported here) that can be fixed by "upgrading" to the XB7.

SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

So I decided to reconnect my D-Link router to see if it would resolve my TP-Link smart plug intermittent disconnect issues ... and it did !!!

My 2.4 GHz is still set to Channel 1, as was the case when Rogers was controlling my settings automatically.

I had "WiFi bliss" amongst all my products as of April 2021 (when I upgraded to Ignite) until just a few weeks ago ... and only the TP-Link products were affected (they're finicky) . I ran nirsoft's WifiInfoView to see if a new (condo) neighbouring Wifi may be causing the interference, but I didn't notice anything odd. Then again, I'm no expert so I was just scanning to make sure all 2.4Ghz channels nearby were set to 1, 6, or 11 ... one neighbour had channel 2.

I wonder what else Rogers was automatically setting that could be causing my TP-link smart plugs to lose connection intermittently?

The only hiccup I encountered was now my laptops, located further away from my router, had terrible download speeds using 2.4GHz ... I had to manually connect them to the 5 GHz network instead (no big whoop ... but now I appreciate why Rogers suggests bandsteering for newbies!).

Also, I found I can still connect my Rogers Internet TV and my NVIDIA Shield via ethernet to the Rogers XB7 instead of my router, even when the XB7 is in bridge mode !!!