Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem XB7 (Gen 2)

@ddd12345 Okay.  Sorry.  I misunderstood.  So, you can get to the Ignite gateway's login screen but you cannot log in.

When you factory-reset the Ignite gateway and perform the initial setup using a web browser, the default username and password should be "admin" and "password".

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

An Ignite Wifi Gateway Modem XB7 was installed in my three bedroom apartment by a Rogers Technician yesterday, June 26. The Modem has been placed in a room middle of the apartment. 

Problem with this Modem is that although the ethernet works at the 500 Gig speeds  (when I check it on my PC)  Wi-Fi runs on 500 Gig speeds but it suddenly drops to 20-30 Mbps all of a sudden. When this happens, I lose TV in the Living Room and master bedroom so I am forced to restart/reboot the Gateway many times during the day.

I tried using pods to for a boost but none of the pods work with XB7 Gateway although they could connect to the previous XB6 Gateway modem.  Do I need updated pods to work with XB7?

Would appreciate any solutions.

SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How big is your apartment? My condo is rough 650 sq. ft. And wifi coverage is great after the below comments …

I upgraded from Rogers Cable to Ignite and I originally got an XB6. But my modem was at one end of the condo and I was having issues with connectivity in certain areas. When a Tech came to investigate, first he switched my XB6 for a XB7 … WAY QUIETER!!!

More importantly, the 2nd Tech also mentioned when the first Tech came to give me my XB6, he should have came into my unit to DEACTIVATE all the other cable outlets that are no longer in use … in apartments, the outlets are sometimes spliced and the more active outlets, the higher the signal degradation. Only one outlet needs to be active for Ignite.

I still asked for a Wifi Pod Gen 2 to help boost the signal throughout the unit.

I could not however get the pod to install for some reason, so I actually got ANOTHER Rogers Tech to come out and try to install it.

He couldn’t do it neither, and a call to his Supervisor didn’t resolve things either … the Tech later said his Supervisor have not heard of anyone successfully installing a Gen 2 pod with the XB7 (this was maybe 3 weeks ago).

However, the Tech did provide me  with an extra long cable so now the modem is in the middle of the condo. I use Ethernet to connect to the TV and my Nvidia Shield Android TV box. Wifi seems to be evenly distributed now.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

My three bedroom apartment is 1250 sq ft. Strange part is that I get a steady 500 mbps wired connection from the Gateway to my computer ! The problem is with WiFi which fluctuates from 500 plus to 15 mbps!!

No wall mounted cable outlets in my 40 year-old building which need to be terminated. The Gateway is in the bedroom in the middle through a coaxial cable running through drilled holes in the walls! 

Strange that newer pods don’t work with XB7!  Wonder if Mesh WiFi 6  (expensive) might help?

jj59
I Plan to Stick Around

Does the Gen 2 have a guest Wi-Fi network?
RogersZia

Good evening@jj59,

The Ignite WiFi Gateway Modem (Gen 2) – XB7 does not support guest network.

Hope this helps :).

RogersZia

aw2r
I've Been Around

Hello, 

I am existing customer. Can I exchange my XB6 to new Xb7?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aw2r wrote:

I am existing customer. Can I exchange my XB6 to new Xb7?

You can ask Rogers if they can swap it for you. However, before you do, what are your reasons for wanting to make this switch?

The XB7 has additional Ethernet ports, including a 2.5 GigE port, Wi-Fi 6 support, and slightly faster internal electronics.  However, it is functionally equivalent to the XB6 in all other respects, and some have reported better and more reliable Wi-Fi performance with the XB6.  The XB6-T and XB7-T also both use the same Broadcom cable modem chipset.

If your network and Internet service is stable with the XB6, don't change it.

SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi.

Is there any way to manually change the Wi-Fi channel anymore?

It seems Rogers has taken the ability away by making it Automatic ... the Manual option is disabled (see below).

After upgrading to Rogers Ignite/XB7, things were OK for a few weeks. But all of a sudden, my TP Link smart plugs/switches are misbehaving again ... they intermittently lose internet connection. None of my other Wi-Fi enabled devices/smart homes do this.

I live in a building with lots of other residents with Wi-Fi, and in the past I have found that changing the channel to one that is not used a lot nearby me  (but still one of 1, 6, or 11)  resolved the issue.

I used to have this set in my D-Link router. But when I upgraded to Ignite, I abandoned my D-Link router since everything seemed to be working well.

Is my only option to plug back my D-Link router?

Thanks,

Jason

Channel.JPG

RogersLaura

Good day, @SpeedyC!

Thanks for your post! I hope you are doing well. 🙂

Just to clarify, you are saying that you are unable to select the radio button for "Manual"? Is it just greyed out for you?

An alternative would be to simply reboot your modem and that should change the channel for you. I'll also tag in some of our more tech savvy Resident Experts @-G- @Gdkitty @ColdGranite to see if they can assist any further. 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura