Ignite Internet speeds wrong?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Ignite Internet speeds wrong?

Just upgraded from Hybrid Fibre 30 to Ignite 60. On Hybrid Fibre 30 I got 30 down and 5 up as promised. Now that we have Ignite 60 speeds are all over the place. When the internet package switched over wifi was dropping so I reset the router. I ran speed tests and found that all devices were getting 10 down as promised. BUT I also found that all devices were getting 30 down.

Due to resetting the router the 5GHz network got enabled and I gave that a try. (It was disabled since we had no 5G devices at the time of setup.) I found there was a very noticeable speed difference on my iPod touch so I ran a speed test. I was surprised to find that it was getting speeds of 100/10 rather than 60 or 30. It's nice that the 5G network is so fast but I only have one 5G capable device. It seems consistant that whenever someone uses a 5G device on the network the speeds are around the same as the iPod.

I did further testing by moving the PC and plugging it directly into the router. When plugged in it got speeds of around 70-80 down which I suspect is normal for the Ignite 60 package.

First of all, why is the 5GHz network faster than wired? And what's wrong with the 2.4GHz network? The upload speed increased fine but download stayed the same. Is this normal?

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite Internet speeds wrong?

1. Can you look at the back of the modem and let us know what model of modem you have, as indicated on the product sticker.  It should read one of: CGN2, CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR.

2. The 5 Ghz speeds are a product of the wider bandwidth in the 5 Ghz bands which can be set via the 5 Ghz controls in the modem.  Depending on what model you have, it will be either 20 Mhz, 40 Mhz, or 20/40 Mhz. The CGN3ACSMR (?) and/or the new CGNM-3552 also have an 80 Mhz setting.  Its much easier to run 40 Mhz wide channels in the 5 Ghz band due to the fact that there are fewer users and the fact that 5 Ghz signals don't have as much range as 2.4 Ghz signals.  The end result is better channel selection, wider bandwidths and higher data rates.  This might be coupled with the number of antenna on the device as well.  Typically small devices have a single antenna, but there are some that also have dual antenna which will give you a higher data rate. I'd have to look up the phone model to determine how many antenna it has.

3. The 2.4 Ghz band is oversubscribed and therefore difficult to operate in, unless you happen to live out in the country somewhere. With only three 20 Mhz wide channels that don't overlap with each other, its difficult if not impossible to find and operate in a clear channel. Operating a 40 Mhz wide channel can be impossible depending on where you live.  The usual result is that your channel has more users than just yourself, or, there is someone operating on an adjacent channel, resulting in interference with your channel.  This results in slow data rates and in some cases it might be impossible to run on the channel that you are presently on.  This can be detected by using inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  Load the linked application on your laptop and have a look at the number of users in both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.  If your laptop doesn't support 5 Ghz wifi, the lower right hand section of the display will be empty. The power level starts at zero at the top and descends from there.  What you want to see is your network as the highest network shown, with the other overlapping networks 40 to 45 dbmw below yours in order for your network to run without any problems.  As that power level separation between your network and the adjacent network decreases, the result is more noise for your network to overcome.  The wifi network then dedicates more bits to checksum data versus real data, so, the number of data bits versus checksum bits is dynamic and will vary as the background noise levels change. So, by looking at the display, you can then decide which channel offers the least interference and select that channel in the modem.  What you might find is that there are so many other users in the 2.4 Ghz band that it might be time to consider migrating to the 5 Ghz band by using a USB wifi dongle for your laptop if necessary and planning your future purchases to ensure that they are 5 Ghz capable.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Note this is the last freebie version of this program.  It doesn't show the 802.11ac networks that operate in the 5 Ghz band so it doesn't present the complete 5 ghz band picture, so to speak.  There is a new version out that displays the nearby 802.11ac networks and which will run on a normal 802.11n 5 Ghz capable laptop.  The program reads the transmit headers which can be received by such a laptop and will display the 802.11n and 802.11ac networks.

4. Lastly, the connected data rates.  If you have a CGN3 series modem, you can look at the back of the modem and see what colour the connected port LED happens to be.  If its amber, the port to port data connection rate is 1 Gb/s, which supports data rates up to ~1 Gb/s.  If its green, the port to port connection rate is 10/100 Mb/s, which will give you a max data rate of approx 95 mb/s.  Close to 100 Mb/s but not quite there.  If you have a CGN2 or CGN3 series modem, you can find the connected data rate by right clicking on the internet icon on the lower right hand side of the monitor and selecting "Open Network and Sharing Center".  Select the Ethernet link on the middle right hand side of the page to open the Ethernet Status panel. The speed that is listed is the port to port connection rate.  If its 100 Mb/s, then seeing something in the order of 70 to 80 Mb/s for a data rate is not out of line.  That will depend on whats behind the ethernet port, ie, ethernet controller, CPU, memory amount and speed, hard disk or SSD rates, etc.  Typically on a 60/10 internet package, with overprovisioning (Speedboost) you would see approx 95 Mb/s as a peak rate during the test.  Now if you know that you have a gigabit port on the pc, then the 100 Mb/s connection rate would tell you that you have a problem with the ethernet cable that you are using, or, that the cable is not connecting properly at one or both ends and as a result, the two ports are negotiating down to a 100 Mb/s connection rate in order to run.  In that case, unplug the cable at both ends and plug it back into the ports or swap the cable with another one that you know is in good working order.

If you use the same path to "Open Network and Sharing Center" on a wifi connected device, you will see the wifi port to port connected rate.  That rate should vary as you walk around the house and the signal levels and noise background changes.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Tmothy12

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

This sounds like something one of Resident Experts can provide some insight to , @Gdkitty or @Datalink?

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Can you look at the back of the modem and let us know what model of modem you have, as indicated on the product sticker.  It should read one of: CGN2, CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR.

2. The 5 Ghz speeds are a product of the wider bandwidth in the 5 Ghz bands which can be set via the 5 Ghz controls in the modem.  Depending on what model you have, it will be either 20 Mhz, 40 Mhz, or 20/40 Mhz. The CGN3ACSMR (?) and/or the new CGNM-3552 also have an 80 Mhz setting.  Its much easier to run 40 Mhz wide channels in the 5 Ghz band due to the fact that there are fewer users and the fact that 5 Ghz signals don't have as much range as 2.4 Ghz signals.  The end result is better channel selection, wider bandwidths and higher data rates.  This might be coupled with the number of antenna on the device as well.  Typically small devices have a single antenna, but there are some that also have dual antenna which will give you a higher data rate. I'd have to look up the phone model to determine how many antenna it has.

3. The 2.4 Ghz band is oversubscribed and therefore difficult to operate in, unless you happen to live out in the country somewhere. With only three 20 Mhz wide channels that don't overlap with each other, its difficult if not impossible to find and operate in a clear channel. Operating a 40 Mhz wide channel can be impossible depending on where you live.  The usual result is that your channel has more users than just yourself, or, there is someone operating on an adjacent channel, resulting in interference with your channel.  This results in slow data rates and in some cases it might be impossible to run on the channel that you are presently on.  This can be detected by using inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  Load the linked application on your laptop and have a look at the number of users in both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.  If your laptop doesn't support 5 Ghz wifi, the lower right hand section of the display will be empty. The power level starts at zero at the top and descends from there.  What you want to see is your network as the highest network shown, with the other overlapping networks 40 to 45 dbmw below yours in order for your network to run without any problems.  As that power level separation between your network and the adjacent network decreases, the result is more noise for your network to overcome.  The wifi network then dedicates more bits to checksum data versus real data, so, the number of data bits versus checksum bits is dynamic and will vary as the background noise levels change. So, by looking at the display, you can then decide which channel offers the least interference and select that channel in the modem.  What you might find is that there are so many other users in the 2.4 Ghz band that it might be time to consider migrating to the 5 Ghz band by using a USB wifi dongle for your laptop if necessary and planning your future purchases to ensure that they are 5 Ghz capable.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Note this is the last freebie version of this program.  It doesn't show the 802.11ac networks that operate in the 5 Ghz band so it doesn't present the complete 5 ghz band picture, so to speak.  There is a new version out that displays the nearby 802.11ac networks and which will run on a normal 802.11n 5 Ghz capable laptop.  The program reads the transmit headers which can be received by such a laptop and will display the 802.11n and 802.11ac networks.

4. Lastly, the connected data rates.  If you have a CGN3 series modem, you can look at the back of the modem and see what colour the connected port LED happens to be.  If its amber, the port to port data connection rate is 1 Gb/s, which supports data rates up to ~1 Gb/s.  If its green, the port to port connection rate is 10/100 Mb/s, which will give you a max data rate of approx 95 mb/s.  Close to 100 Mb/s but not quite there.  If you have a CGN2 or CGN3 series modem, you can find the connected data rate by right clicking on the internet icon on the lower right hand side of the monitor and selecting "Open Network and Sharing Center".  Select the Ethernet link on the middle right hand side of the page to open the Ethernet Status panel. The speed that is listed is the port to port connection rate.  If its 100 Mb/s, then seeing something in the order of 70 to 80 Mb/s for a data rate is not out of line.  That will depend on whats behind the ethernet port, ie, ethernet controller, CPU, memory amount and speed, hard disk or SSD rates, etc.  Typically on a 60/10 internet package, with overprovisioning (Speedboost) you would see approx 95 Mb/s as a peak rate during the test.  Now if you know that you have a gigabit port on the pc, then the 100 Mb/s connection rate would tell you that you have a problem with the ethernet cable that you are using, or, that the cable is not connecting properly at one or both ends and as a result, the two ports are negotiating down to a 100 Mb/s connection rate in order to run.  In that case, unplug the cable at both ends and plug it back into the ports or swap the cable with another one that you know is in good working order.

If you use the same path to "Open Network and Sharing Center" on a wifi connected device, you will see the wifi port to port connected rate.  That rate should vary as you walk around the house and the signal levels and noise background changes.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

It's the CGN3ACSMR. The inSSIDer program suggested I switch to band 11. I changed it which seems to have increased the computer's speed closer to around or just above 40 instead of barely reaching 30 as before. It doesn't seem to have had any effect on any other devices.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That change would only affect the 2.4 Ghz data rate.  Can you do a screen capture, (Ctrl-Alt-Prt Scr), then dump that into something like Microsoft Paint.  Wipe out your MAC address on the image, save the image and then post it into this thread.  That way I can have a look at the power levels of the various networks that you are contending with.  In our neighborhood we have about 35 to 40 2.4 Ghz modems and routers running.  I've basically given up on running anything on a 2.4 Ghz network and moved just about everything up to the 5 Ghz band.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

This computer doesn't support 5 Ghz networks. I'm guessing from the MAC addresses the blank ones are 5G. networking2.png

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like channel 11 is the best choice for now.  There are numerous other modems and routers running in your neighborhood, so, its no surprise that you're having some issues with 2.4 Ghz wifi.  That is something that you're going to have to keep an eye on. 

The lines with no SSID are 2.4 Ghz modems and routers that are set to operate and not transmit their SSID, which is permitted.  If the computer supported 5 Ghz you would see some networks running in the 5 Ghz display area on the lower right and see the 5 Ghz channel numbers listed in the text area of the data.

Another post today also reminded me of an issue with the CGN3 series modems, and that is the transmission of what appears to be a secondary unidentified network.  If you look at the image that you provided you can see another network without an SSID transmitting on channel 11 as well, at a higher power than your network.  Thats the problem network.  If you change to another channel, you should see that channel move as well.  That will confirm that your modem does have this problem.  I've reported this to the engineering staff but haven't seen anything on it recently. 

The problem with this secondary transmission is that it bleeds power from the network that you are running, and as a result, you end up with reduced range to the modem.  If the modem output power was put into the your network alone, running on channel 11, my guess is that you would be ok. 

Here's a link to the other thread that is currently running.  Note that this is a fairly recent issue but it was first seen several weeks ago:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I second that. I have Ignite 100, and you will never get your rated speed on 2.4GHz. This isn't Rogers' fault, it's just the overcrowded 2.4GHz spectrum.

For your laptop, I would HIGHLY recommend picking up a 5GHz capable USB WiFi dongle. If you can get one that supports 802.11ac, you'll definitely get your full 60Mbps. My Dell laptop has it built-in, and with my Ignite 100 I almost always get around 120-130Mbps on a speed test.

As far as that "ghost" network on top of yours, did you make sure your Guest network is turned off? Not sure if the SSID can be disabled on the guest network, but that's a possibility. Also, it could be that some people are seeing transparent wifi repeaters in their house/area. They transparently extend the range (without changing the SSID) of all networks they can see, but can also cause problems like this. They do modify the header, though, hence inSSIDer showing it as a separate signal. Wonder if the OP has any range extenders?

Decided to take a look at my wifi, and yup, it appears on mine as well. Definitely thinking it's the modem/router now. Notice my 5GHz signal, all by itself way over on the right? No overlapping signals, nothing co-channel. That's the beauty of 5GHz. You can see how insanely polluted the 2.4GHz spectrum is here in Toronto!

inSSIDer results 1

inSSIDer results 2

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

The guest network isn't on. I tried it yesterday and it was just as slow.

I'm definitely going to look into getting a 5GHz wifi dongle.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Something interesting I noticed --

My 2.4GHz MAC Address is 00:FC:XX:XX:47:58 whereas the "ghost" one is 00:FC:XX:XX:47:5A, and my 5GHz one is 02:FC:XX:XX:47:50 ... so they're all coming from the same chipset, is my guess.

EDIT: The "ghost" SSID is not transmitting all the time! It's just sending out periodic "chirps" ... very curious to find out what this ends up being.

Also, if you look at my second image above, you can see another Rogers customer on channel 6 with the same "ghost" SSID.