Ignite Internet Gigabit - Slow Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
augmentium
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Ignite Internet Gigabit - Slow Speeds

(Merged Post)

Not sure where this post should go. I have the CODA -4582U in bridge mode. I have 1Gb down service. On May 30 & again today June 8, I noticed download was slow. Checked the back of the modem & instead of flashing orange, it was green. A reboot got it back to normal again. I can’t reboot right now as I have family working from home. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@augmentium this might be anything from oxidation on the contacts to a failing ethernet controller at either end.  What to do:

1.  pull out, then reset the connectors at both ends of the connecting cable just to see if this is an oxidation problem with the contacts on the cable or on the ethernet ports on the modem or router.

2.  connect the modem end to another modem port.  All modem ports are active when the modem is in Bridge mode, so it doesn't matter which port you use. 

3.  swap the connecting ethernet cable with another cable that you know will work.

4.  ensure that the modem and router are several feet apart.  They should not be sitting side by side or even very close to each other.  This is to prevent any EMI issues in the modem which are caused by the router's wifi transmissions. 

What router are you using?  In a worst case scenario, this might be an issue with the modem, or with the router that would require replacing either one.  

Are you running IPV6?  If so, consider disabling IPV6 for a period of time, just to see if this makes any difference.  This looks like an intermittent problem, so it might take a long time to see if the disconnects stop when the router is running IPV4 only. 

augmentium
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. Through Twitter I got an agent to check the signals. She found the signal wasn’t stable, did a network push, and it reconnected at the right speed. I don’t know if this is a permanent solution or not or if I could have achieved the same thing by rebooting it myself. The modem & router are about 12 feet apart, the cable is about a year old (cat 6 I believe), but I’ll check the other tips you suggested. The router is an Asus 3100 AC and I’m not running IPV6.
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

grrrr, network push.  You've been fed a line of ........  The tech can reboot your modem or run a factory reset, but that's about it.  There's probably a possibility of resetting the cable port at the neighbourhood node, but that would affect several hundred modems connected on that line and would result in a large number of unhappy customers.    

Log in and check your modem firmware version.  I wonder if your modem is on the trials list.  If so, you might have 7.1.1.37 loaded.  It would show up in the STATUS tab under the Software version.  There is a reboot scheduled into the update, but I wonder if that may have resulted in your modem connecting at 100 Mb/s (flashing green LED) instead of 1 Gb/s (flashing amber LED).  Those colours refer to the connected port LED at the back of the modem. 

Are you running stock Asus firmware or Merlin's Asuswrt?

augmentium
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

I knew I was being fed a line; but I really think they believe it. She said what she did was getting an obstruction out of the way. Lol

The software version is 7.1.1.33 & I’m running Asus firmware which I updated after the “push”.
averageconsum1
I've Been Around

Hello,

We have just upgraded from the 500u package to gigabit (ignite internet) and our download speeds have either been a bit slower or around the same (around 300-500mbps on WIFI and ethernet) as when we were on the 500u package. Our upload speeds are now ~30mbps as advertised (upload speeds used to be ~20). We have also just configured the XB7 gateway. 

I've already reached out to Rogers tech support about this and they weren't able to solve the issue yet, aside from letting me know that they are going to monitor our network over the next few days. 

Thank you

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Response sent for your pm.