cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Gateway Modem or Easy Bake Oven?

Michael38
I've been here awhile

Just got my "new" (aka refurbished) Ignite Gateway modem.  After one hour of use, the temperature of it taken on the top with a laser temperature gun was 48° Celsius.  I popped the top off and took the internal temperature, pointing the laser at the cooling fins inside.  I got a reading of 60° Celsius.  According to the service tech. this is normal.  Perhaps Ignite is a perfectly appropriate name for this device.  My old Hitron modem never got this hot. Frankly, I am unplugging it when I'm not at home.  Would you leave your oven or stove on low when not home?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ignite Gateway Modem or Easy Bake Oven?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Ignite gateways have an internal fan for a reason, and (from what I have seen) it is always on.  They also have thermal protection circuitry and should shut down if their internal temperature reaches a critical point.

The Ignite Gateway Easy Setup Guide also has DOs and DON'Ts about where to place the gateway... and one of them should be DO NOT place the Ignite gateway on a table cloth or anything that could block the air intakes or impede airflow.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Michael38
I've been here awhile

Thanks for this link.  Looking inside the modem, indeed there is a cooling fan placed in the bottom of this modem.  I actually saw it turning when I looked inside of it, but it turned off after a few seconds, so clearly the fan only runs intermittently.  The fan is completely silent, so I never knew that it did have one in there. The fan is a Maglev 12V 0.83 watt fan BTW.  The unit still runs hot, but I guess the fan is supposed to make some kind of difference.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hope that you didn't actually tear down your Ignite gateway!  If you do want a better look at the innards of both XB7 variants, go to the the FCC certification documents and check out the Internal Photos:

Michael38
I've been here awhile

No, I just popped the top off and looked inside.  Thank you for the internal photos!  Saves me from actually having to take it apart.  Have been a tear down geek since childhood, often to my detriment ("oops, I broke it!")

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation