Ignite 250u upload speed peaks at ~11 Mbps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite 250u upload speed peaks at ~11 Mbps

Ok, thats very interesting, what do you get when you run a speedtest at either http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server.

Can you describe in detail your house cable layout.  After the Rogers cable terminates inside the house, you should have a splitter, possibly more than one connected to that after which it finally connects to your various cable modems, tv, phone, internet modem.  All of those spiltters will drop the signal level either 3.5 dB or 7 dB depending on the splitter and the port on the splitter.  The end goal is to drop the signal levels the least amount possible as the signal is split, on its way to the various cable boxes.  

The splitters themselves as installed by Rogers are rated for 50 Mhz to 1 Ghz.  Here is the Arris site for the splitters that Rogers uses:

http://www.arrisistore.com/subcat.php?cat=JC&mfg=REGAL

Looking at the numbers, it would appear that there are two 7 dB drops (educated guess) from that cable point to your previous signal levels.  That would make me think that the issue, at least for the internet modem might be to switch the splitter port that internet modem cable is connected to.  The internet modem, as far as I know is usually connected so that it is subjected to the least amount of signal drop possible, compared to the rest of the cable modems.  If you were able to indicate the number of output ports on the spiltters, and their signal drops as indicated (3.5 or 7 dB for example), if there is more than one splitter and finally where the internet modem cable is connect to (splitter and port) I would probably suggest connected it to the first splitter, using the 3.5 Db port.  That still subjects the internet modem to a drop, but not as large as 14 dB, as it is when connected in its original configuration.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What I did before pulling the router information again was disconnect all other conections through my home. I only have one line now. no spliters. The cable comes in the home, i have a male to male adaptor and that cable goes to the router. All other spliters are not in use. Ran the speed test again and get the same result 57dn and 10up.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

forgot to mention that I dont need the spliters anymore as I dont have cable, just the internet modem so no need to hook up again.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, very strange.  Try this.  Right click on the internet icon at the lower right hand corner.  Select Open Network and Sharing Center.  When that opens, left click on the Ethernet link at the center right hand side of the page.  That brings up the Ethernet Status panel.  What does it show for Speed, which is the interconnect speed with the modem?

To check the Advanced Settings for the ethernet adapter, on the Network and Sharing Center page, on the left hand side, select Change Adapter Settings.  Select the Ethernet network on the Network connections page.  Right click and select Properties.  When the Ethenet Properties page comes up, select Configure.  That brings up the Configuration page.  Select Advanced.  Scroll down to Speed and Duplex.  Have a look at what is available.  Normally its set for Auto Negotiation, which on a gigabit capable controller should mean 1 Gb/s Full Duplex.  If you looked at the other available selections you would probably see 100 Mb/s Full and Half Duplex, and possibly 10 Mb/s Full and Half Duplex. 

lastly, can you give me the exact model of the laptop and more importantly, navigate to Start.....Control Panel.....Device Manager.....Network Adapters.  Expand the Network Adapters, copy the model number data for the ethernet controller and paste that in here as well so that I can look for the controller specs.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well you know your stuff, checked out the network adaptor and you are correct mine is only 100mbps for speed, checked the settings which is set to auto, and it is rated at 100mbps. The model I have is a HP pavilon g6. model g6-1d73ca

I also have another question so I have this router it puts out 250 for banwith. My computers dont use it all. but i have several streaming tv devices and laptops as well as tablets. Does it make a difference sticking with 250 vs 60 which is all the speed i can pick-up at this point? Does more allowable banwith mean I will have less buffering issues ect if I have lots of devices running at the same time. Or should I just save my money and drop back to 60 as that is all i'm capable of receiving and it won't make a difference  on how many devices I run at that speed?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing to look at overall.. is that the chances of ONE site, being able to provider you 250 at one time??  Not overlly likely.

But yes, the 250 that the modem can throughput, is an OVERALL total.

So like you said.. its combined.   So you can be pulling almost 60 on the laptop say at max connection.  That would still leave 190 odd for the rest of the devices still to be able to use, etc.

So its a toss up, as to what is important.. what speeds you plans to use at one time, and if you will be doing other things at the same time, etc.

You could always go to the inbetween plan at 100.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately you're not the only one to find out after upgrading to a faster internet service that your laptops or pc's can't handle the data rate.  Checking the HP site, yep, the adapter is only rated for 100 Mb/s.  Personal opinion, the world should stop manufacturing 100 Mb/s controllers and make everything gigabit capable. 

http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03138126

The big question then is whether or not to downgrade.  Looking at the Rogers site, the 100 and 250 mb/s plans are unlimited.  The 60 mb/s plan comes with a 200 Gb cap.  Now, the complicating factor is the bundle issue, where you might save some money, but looking at that, only the 100 Mb/s plans are unlimited.  Throw in the complication of changing your current bundle, if you have one in order to downgrade.  Your present cost might be the same or less when compared to going down to something like 60 Mb/s and then topping up the monthly bandwidth cap. 

Part of this depends on how much streaming you do and whether or not its all in High def.  If you do use High Def on your tv's and other devices, that can chew up the monthly bandwidth cap in a hurry, so you need to consider that as well.  Unlimited, either in the 100 or 250 Mb/s plan might be the way to go.  On a device basis, you're right, you might not be able to take advantage of the current data rate that the 250 Mb/s plan can offer, but on an aggregate basis, if you and your family are streaming videos, playing online games, etc, simultaneously, the 250 Mb/s will no doubt ensure that you have enough bandwidth, as in Mb/s, to run everything without buffering issues, and the same might be said of the 100 Mb/s plan.  

If you decide to keep your current plan, keep the speed in mind when you are out shopping for future laptops, pc's and routers.  Unfortunately, as you have found out, new and fairly new devices are still being manufactured with 100 Mb/s ports, including routers that can run 802.11ac wifi, which give a combined total data rate almost reaching 2 Gb/s.  And then the manufacturer builds it with a 100 Mb/s WAN port.  Grrrr..  So, shop for devices with gigabit ports, which will make your networking much easier in the future.  That is the crystal ball part.  Do I keep the service, and what do I intend to buy down the road?  I don't think I can clearly say, yep, just downgrade, as a big part of the decision depends on your streaming requirements for your devices and what you might buy sometime in the not too distant future.

Hope this helps 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your input 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink you have been very helpful, thanks for taking the time, I think I will stick with the speed for now, and look into getting better system, that can handle the speed. But as you say with the speed not being used by one device I should have less buffering overall.

Again thanks for the help!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

250 Down 20 Up package only 10 up

I signed up for the 250  up 20 down package a couple months ago. I finally got around to calling Rogers to find out why I only have only ever seen 10-11Mbs upload speeds. I was told that my area is not set up for the 20Mbs upload speeds (I live in a building). I can understand and accept this, but what I don't understand is why was I not told this at the time I upgraded? The main reason I upgarded was for the faster upload, now that I've upgraded I have the same upload speeds as my last plan. Would it not make sense for agents to check sevice availability when some one requests it? If I was told of the upload limitations during my upgrade enquiry, then this would be a different story.

The customer service rep that I spoke with basically told me that I have to pay the same price as the people with the full 250-20 speeds. I don't think this is right, when I pushed for a service discount or maybe a free tv addon I was told there was no further discounts available to the 2 years discounts I already have. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me question Rogers business/sales practices.

Does anyone know when my area (Toronto Vic Park&401 area) will be upgraded to the 20Mbs speeds I signed up for?