cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite 150U Best Modem

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

Background: Yesterday had to reboot my modem 5 times because of dropped internet. Over the course of phone calls I got everything from there wasn't a problem they could deal with to my network was set up wrong (Asus modems Access Point) and to I should swap my modem.

Finally I was told that perhaps my CODA 4582 was TOO POWERFUL and I should get a different modem. This was the modem given to me during my last series of Rogers service calls.

So what is the appropriate modem for Ignite 150U?  

***Edited Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ignite 150U Best Modem

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This sounds like an ongoing problem that no one wants to solve. 

1.  Are you seeing service dropouts with ethernet connected devices, wifi connected devices or both?  Do you have Home Phone or Cable TV service as well and if so, are you seeing the same disconnects with those as well? 

2.  Are you running your network with the modem in Bridge mode and the router in full router mode, or with the modem in Gateway mode and the router in Access Point mode?

If the modem is in Bridge mode, then yup, tech support will most likely give you some static about this and blame you and your router.  If the modem is in Gateway mode, with the router in Access Point mode, and you have to reboot the router to reestablish internet service, then its most likely the modem, and beyond that more than likely the external cable/connectors. 

3.  Does the modem ever reboot on its own?  

The only reason for a modem to reboot on its own, or for the user to reboot the modem, (which reestablished communications with the CMTS) is a cable or connector fault of some type.  If either one is failing, but not dead yet, they can cause momentary service drop outs.  Very frustrating and hard to locate until either the external cable or connector finally dies. 

4.  Does the external cable to your home arrive via underground cabling or overhead from a utility pole? 

Just curious at this point.  In both cases, those cables and their connectors don't last forever and require replacement every once in a while. Would you happen to know when that cable was replaced? 

There is always the possibility that the modem's OFDM processing just isn't doing the job, and that the signal conditions in the OFDM channel are to blame.  Having said that, if previous techs swapped that modem for the previous modem, then he or she is stabbing in the dark so to speak, and not looking further upstream for the real cause of the problem.  

If I was going to recommend any other modem, that would be the CGNM-3552 first, the CGN3ACSMR second.  My first choice, the 3552 is a 32 channel modem, the CGN3ACSMR  is a 24 channel modem.  Both are more than adequate for 150U, but, I'd rather be running a 32 channel modem.  As for the statement that the 4582 is too powerful, I won't say what I really think of that statement. 

What you can do is run the modem in Gateway mode and run the router in full router mode.  That leads to a double NAT situation, but, unless your gaming in a fast game, you probably won't notice the difference.  I do that when I'm running tests directly thru the 4582 as I'm too lazy to kick the router into Access Point mode and re-organize the connected network.   It works and no one has complained about it so far.  What that does is let the modem run in Gateway mode, so if there is a problem, then the problem is related to the modem and further upstream.  Only caveat is to use a different IP address and IP address range in the router so that there are no IP address conflicts between the modem and router.

Here is one thing that you can do to collect some stats, and that is to ping the CMTS from an ethernet connected pc/laptop.  Run a trace to anywhere, www.google.com for example.  If the modem is in Gateway mode with a connected pc/laptop, the first IP address is the modem, the second IP address is the CMTS.  If the modem is in Bridge mode with the router in full router mode, the same applies, IP address 1 is the router, IP address 2 is the CMTS.  If you run the modem in Gateway mode with the router in full router mode, then IP 1 is the router, IP 2 is the modem and IP 3 will be the CMTS.  

Ping the CMTS;  ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Let that run for 24 hours.  You should only see a handful of packet losses at the end of 24 hours, as indicated by the stats when you bail out of the test using Control^C.  The losses should be well under 1 %.  If they are higher, then you have a cable/connector issue between the modem and CMTS.  That will give you a loss number to substantiate your complaint to tech support.  

If you are at a point where you have to reboot the modem to resolve yet another internet disconnect, don't reboot the modem.  Call tech support, explain to the Customer Service Rep that your internet service is out and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  See if the CSR can actually query the modem.  It doesn't matter what mode the modem is in, if the modem can't be queried due to a cable fault, then it will appear to be dead.  At that point ask the CSR to check your neighbours modems as well to see if this is a single line issue or if its local tap issue, or a wider area issue.  Don't reboot the modem until the CSR has conducted a wider check.  If the CSR indicates to reboot the modem and it comes up serviceable as usual, at which point the CSR says "problem solved", all that does is point to an external cable/connector issue, not to the claimed fact that the problem is solved.  A modem reboot will temporarily resolve the problem, but, it doesn't cure the underlying problem.  Only a tech can do that and if the cable and external connectors have to be replaced, so be it.  If that doesn't work, then possibly the local tap has to be replaced and then possibly the next device up the line.  This isn't rocket science.  Its a step by step process, working backward from the modem to the CMTS, or forward from the CMTS to the modem.  At some point the failing device will be found if anyone cares to keep looking for it. 

To be fair, we've seen issues with the CGN3xxxx modems where a failing device ethernet or wifi adapter would take down the connected network.  That hasn't been seen on the 4582, at least not that we've recognized so far, but, as always, one has to keep an open mind.  

If, when the internet service stops, have a look at the back of the modem as well, specifically at the connected port LED.  I suspect that it should be flashing amber, even if the external connection has stopped.  That flashing amber indicates a 1 Gb/s connection to the connected device.  Flashing green indicates a 10/100 Mb/s connection.  That's one more item to check, just to be sure that the modem's internal network is still operating.  You should see that the bottom LED at the front of the modem is still flashing indicating that its connected to some network device. 

For now, I'd suggest running the modem in gateway mode, possibly putting up with a double NAT situation.  If you can avoid it, don't reboot the modem.  Call tech support if you have time, register the problem so that its on file and ask the CSR to run the signal check.  Its much, much easier to troubleshoot the problem when the failure is in progress, instead of after the fact.  I'd put tech support on speed dial and as often as I had time for it, I'd call in to complain about yet another service drop out.  But, you have to be sure of your equipment at this point, going so far as to restrict the number of devices if necessary and connecting a pc/laptop via ethernet to the modem so that you can ping the modem or ping the CMTS for test purposes.  

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

(1) The dropouts were noticed while on ethernet connections, wireless was out as well. Phone and TV no issues.

(2) The modem is in Gateway mode with wireless turned off. Using Asus 68U in Access Point.

(3) No, modem not rebooting on its own. All lights are on but needs manual reboot to re-establish internet.

(4) Cable is underground to the house. Rogers last checked everything from street to inside house last year making a number of changes both inside and out. They also did a modem swap.

First couple of times I called Rogers yesterday after rebooting. Next time I called first and was instructed to reboot as they couldn't see anything. Next call was given a case number and told to get a new modem.

Thanks for the detailed post, I'll take your advice and see what happens.

There have been some DHCP issues noticed with the 4582, so, that is something to keep in mind. 

Did the same thing happen with the previous modem, which was a black CGN3xxxx (?) modem?  If so, this isn't a modem issue.  There is something else going on that will require a few complaints before its resolved.  One other step that you could take is to move the modem to where the splitter is located and run it from there, looking for a failure to occur.  That would determine whether or not the cable that runs from the splitter to the modem's current location is fully serviceable.  If you get another failure, then the problem is between the splitter and the CMTS and the house cabling that is currently in use should be ok.   

Was the underground cable changed last year?  We're on our third underground cable.  The first lasted about 10 years (?), the next only two years and the third is still working.  So, its always possible that the cable needs to be swapped, even if its fairly new.  What you might consider, depending on where the external tap is located, is to have a temporary cable installed.  The local tap location would determine if its feasible to run a temporary cable.  The neighbours wouldn't be too happy to have a cable running all over their yard.  If you could do that, and it worked without failing, that points to the underground cable.  If you still see a failure, that leaves the cabling between the internal splitter and the external demarcation point as a possible cause, or, some issue with the local tap or beyond.  If the CSR can run a check when your modem is out of service, and check the neighbours modems as well, that could point to or rule out the local tap as the cause of the problem.  There is always the possibility of a connection issue with your specific port on the tap that doesn't affect the neighbours.  If the tap required replacing that would probably require a real Rogers tech to replace the hardware. 

So, the possibilities are:

1.  the modem ( I don't think so if you're on the second or third modem.  You should be buying lottery tickets instead).

2.  The cable that runs from the modem's location to the splitter. 

3.  The splitter. 

4.  The cable that runs from the splitter to the external demarcation point

5.  The connector at the external demarc

6.  The underground cable that runs from the demarc to the tap

7.  The connector at the tap

8.  The tap hardware itself

9.  Something beyond the tap (hardware, noise, others ??)

As I said above, a step by step process, rule out one item and move on to the next.  Ask the CSR to check the noise level at your modem and to look at the historical noise data to see what if anything turns up. 

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

So on Rogers' insistence got a CODA 4582 yesterday, got it home realized that the case was cracked and Rogers hadn't even bothered removing the cartoon sticker plastered on by previous user.

Returned it and got a 4582U supposedly new in a box. Set it up only devices attached were PCs by ethernet.

This morning lost internet connection. All the lights are lit on the modem, no internet my end, Rogers can't get connect on their end. Reboot, internet up and running Rogers says great signal everything looks perfect.

But now we can eliminate it being a device issue on my end.

Now Rogers claiming that there are known issues with the Coda 4582 and the Ignite 150 plan and that I should downgrade the CODA to the Rocket. Given that I have Asus 68U they recommend that I bridge the Rocket and use my Asus.

Datalink: the issues have been with the CODA, all the equipment is in same room where cable enters, wiring & splitters inside were all replaced by Rogers last year.

Can you have a look at the splitter and confirm how many output ports are on the splitter and whether or not they are all connected to an RG-6 cable.  I'm assuming here that your house cabling is RG-6.  The splitter will have one input port and x output ports.  If there are more that two output ports, can you tell me if the internet cable is connected to a port that indicates -3.5 dB, or if its connected to another port.  If it is connected to another port, whats the marking on the port, -7 dB or other?  That will depend on how many ports are on the splitter.  

Can you also log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS ..... DOCSIS WAN tab, and copy the entire lower signal level table.  Paste that into a post, just so I can see what the current signal levels are at.  

You had the same issue with the previous modem correct?  Which was a black CGN3xxx modem?  Lights are on but no connection?  

Personally speaking I would be highly annoyed by this.  I've run various modems in Bridge mode ever since the CGN3 first arrived, connected to an Asus RT-AC68U and then an RT-AC86U.  I never have to think about the state of the internet connection.  It just works, day in, day out.  Which is how it should be.  

Are you running IPV6?  If so, can you try a couple of traces, one for IPV4 and one for IPV6:

tracert -4 www.google.com

tracert -6 www.google.com

What I'd like to know is whether or not both traces resolve the second address which is the CMTS, and whether or not the trace completes to the end and shows the IP addresses at each hop.  I don't need to see the traces, and, don't post the IPV6 trace unless you wipe out the first IP address which is the modem's or routers IP address.  The first address in the IPV4 trace is the generic 192.168.0.1, usually, which isn't an issue, the first IPV6 IP address is. 

Just thinking aloud here, consider asking your neighbours if they are using Rogers and whether or not they're seeing the same issue.  It sounds like there is some sporadic event, noise or a line failure that is taking the modem off-line, after which its not able to recover.  When its running it looks fine, but that event, whatever it is, is causing problems.  

Are you using a power bar or UPS to power the modem, and, is the modem connected to any circuit that might have a large voltage spike due to some other equipment starting up?  

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

Cable in to splitter. Three outputs -7dB to Rogers HomePhone, -7dB to Internet and -3.5 dB to 2nd splitter. Second splitter to three televsions.

I have setup the CGN3ACSMR. Still in gateway mode, no access points setup yet.

The current problems started Thursday using the CODA, have since had two more CODA and now CGN3ACSMR.

Ran the tracert 2nd hop 99.226.144.1 and 2007:f798:804:2a2::1

Total of 9 hops to Google.

CGN3ACSMR Router - Hitron Technologies

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1693000000256QAM-1.8002340.946
2579000000256QAM-1.500540.946
3585000000256QAM-1.400640.946
4591000000256QAM-1.300740.946
5597000000256QAM-1.000840.946
6603000000256QAM-0.900940.946
7609000000256QAM-1.0001040.946
8615000000256QAM-1.4001140.946
9621000000256QAM-2.0001240.946
10633000000256QAM-2.0001340.366
11639000000256QAM-1.9001440.946
12645000000256QAM-1.9001540.946
13651000000256QAM-1.9001640.366
14657000000256QAM-1.8001740.946
15663000000256QAM-1.5001840.946
16669000000256QAM-1.4001940.946
17675000000256QAM-1.5002040.946
18681000000256QAM-1.6002140.366
19687000000256QAM-1.7002240.366
20303000000256QAM-2.800140.946
21699000000256QAM-1.9002440.946
22705000000256QAM-1.7002540.946
23711000000256QAM-1.6002640.946
24717000000256QAM-1.3002740.946
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandwidth
123700000ATDMA - 64QAM44.50026400000
238596000ATDMA - 64QAM46.00033200000
330596000ATDMA - 64QAM44.50016400000

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry didn't answer all your questions. Only one power outlet in the room. The Internet modem and the phone modem both plugged directly into the outlet. No power bar.

Immediate neighbors both on Bell.

When I had similar issues last year four different technicians came to the house over the course of a week. All changed different things resulting in current setup. Lasted a year without any real issues.

Will run current configuration for 24 hours then guess I'll put it into bridge mode.

sentill
I've Been Around

Recently I was browsing the Roger's website for upgrading to 4k box and explore eero mesh for better coverage in the house as my basement was having issues. Ever since my Ignite 150 dropped to abysmal low of coverage. I know that Roger's can control the throttle. Am I being manipulated to subscribe to the upgrades because I am a loyal customer for 10+ years with an average spending of 600$ a month and wouldn't mind sucking up!

Sorry to say, Rogers, I am very disappointed. The technician is due in a couple of days and let's see what happens?

Senthil

Generally, the plan itself should be the only 'throttle'.
(if your getting the 150 plan on a line that is capable of 500 sort of thing)

Anything else that is happening to slow it down.. beyond say like wireless issues, etc.

Would likely be something else, like signal, etc effecting the overall speed.

(Eg: I am on the 500 plan, and I can regularly on speed tests do up to 560mbps)

Upgrade modem

Can I switch my rocket modem (cgn3acsmr) to the coda modem? (I don't know what it's called) I have Ignite 150U, will it cost extra? I heard it helps with latency.

Ok well they said 150U is not eligible for the modem upgrade.

@Tmothy12 who indicated that you couldn't upgrade the modem?  The last version that I was aware of is that anyone wanting to upgrade the modem had to have a work order generated.  I'm not sure who is responsible for generating that work order, Tech Support or Customer Support.  Have you contacted both of those to pose the question?

@Datalink wrote:

@Tmothy12 who indicated that you couldn't upgrade the modem?  The last version that I was aware of is that anyone wanting to upgrade the modem had to have a work order generated.  I'm not sure who is responsible for generating that work order, Tech Support or Customer Support.  Have you contacted both of those to pose the question?

Took the modem to a Rogers store and tried to exchange it, they said in order to switch to the gigabit modem you would have to upgrade to 500u at extra cost. Haven't contacted anyone other than posting here. What question should I be asking?

@Tmothy12 call customer service and ask the Customer Service Rep to generate a work order so that you can change the modem at a local Rogers Store.   You will have to drill down thru the telephone menu list to get to the change service choice for your internet.  Maybe you can just hit zero to short circuit the whole menu list, don't know?

I just called Customer Service to confirm this.  The rep indicated that some stores will still allow a customer to simply walk in to exchange the modem, some won't.  Don't know why there is any difference from store to store.  

I didn't ask if there were any additional monthly charges when you go from any of the black Hitron CGN3xxxx modems to the white Hitron CODA-4582.  I don't believe there is any difference, but, ask the question just to be sure.  I don't think there should be any difference in the monthly bill. 

Just to note, the Rogers stores are no longer owned and operated by Rogers.  They were sold off two or three years ago to another company whose name I can't remember at the moment.  They still have access to the customer accounts however, but, I wonder if that separation is now resulting in a formal work order requirement in order to separate the billing and cost issues for various services.  

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation