Ignite 100 / Upload Speeds have dropped to near zero

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite 100 / Upload Speeds have dropped to near zero

I just upgraded to Rogers Ignite 100 last week. Initially, it worked great. My first wired speed test results were 22ms 130.13/10.70.

We had a technician in yesterday, as the wi-fi was cutting out intermittently, and it was diagnosed as weak signal, the tech fiddled with something in our garage, and everything seemed to be ok again. Albeit, temporarily.

As of today, and as the subject line states, my upload speeds have fallen off the charts.

This is a wired speed test I just did, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4216229814.

This is one I did on my iPhone over wi-fi http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1175160677.

Something has obviously gone wrong, and I don't know what. Factory resetting the router had no effect. I presume we may have to have the tech come back.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Ignite 100 / Upload Speeds have dropped to near zero

Hello @ToddShishler , Welcome to Rogers Community Forum!

Sorry for the slow speeds, it’s really not convenient. Technician was there at your place yesterday and the issue still persists, it may not be RF signal issue. But anyways would you please post the Downstream and Upstream table from Status/Docsis WAN page. This information can help to determine the possible causes and if it’s required I can have someone reach out through PM to discuss the next step in resolving the issue. Thank you for your patience.

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. either there is something OUTSIDE beyond the house. (possibly effecting the whole street or area).

Or the guy changed stuff around, and changed them in a BAD way.

(my house when we were having street issues, had a tech in and re-wired most of the main stuff.  Its in the BEST setup for what i have.. my signal is now that the street issues are fixed.. pretty much PERFECT, around +0.2 db..

I have had techs in for OTHER things since then.. and they were like "no, it should be THIS way" which even _I_ knew was completely wrong.. would it WORK? yes.. but far from optimal and could have introduced issues.)

With your problems right now, are you able to post your signal levels from loging into the modem?

Just wondering if they have droped, etc greatly.

I've Been Here Awhile

Apologies for the delayed reply everyone who responded.

The up speeds seemed to resolve on their own within a few hours of the original posting.

Wi-fi however continued to have issues. Up-loads capped at 40-50mbps and down ranged from 5-10. That is fixed as of today via bridging to an Apple AirPort Extreme.

I'm getting near identical speeds whether wired or wireless.

Thanks everyone.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, wireless isn't great in the units. Specially at distances.

Most people bridged.

Glad it's working for you now and seems stable.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite 100 slow 

HI have just upgraded to the CGN3ACS. I turned off bridge mode and connected it to my home network, which has an Apple Time Capsule as the main router. The lights on the CGN are running yellow, which I believe means it is only running at 1Gb/s? I have seena number of other posts here, but nothing exactly like the problem I am having. I am maxing out at 10-12 mbs on Speedtest. ANy suggestions before I call tech support.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, that should be at 1gbps connection..
And even at 10/100.. and if it was the old CGN3 linking problem.. was much more than that.  (close to 35)

How/where are you testing the wireless in relation to the timecapsule? (how close are you to it).

What are you testing it with.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You indicated that you turned off Bridge mode. If you want to use the Time Capsule as your main router, the CGN3ACS should be in Bridge mode.  When you power it up initially, it should come up in Gateway mode.  At that point you would log into the modem, navigate to BASIC....GATEWAY FUNCTION, and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the setting and the modem will reboot automatically into Bridge mode.  At that point you should probably run a factory reset of the Time Capsule, so that it takes up a new IP address from the modem and ensures that there are no previous settings applicable to any other modem or router hanging around to cause problems.  Yes, that is a minor pain in terms of reentering info like wifi SSIDs and passphrases, but it will ensure that you are starting from a clean start point. 

If you connect a pc or laptop via ethernet to the modem when the modem is running in Gateway mode, running a speedcheck at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server should give you something in the order of 130 to 140 Mb/s down, and maybe 12 Mb/s up.  That will tell you that the modem is operating properly and delivering the data rates that you should be seeing.  When you flip into Bridge mode and connect the Time Capsule via ethernet, and then connect the same pc or laptop to the Time Capsule via ethernet, you should see the same data rates.  If you don't then there is some issue with the ethernet cables, or possibly the Time Capsule.  Once you have confirmed that the data rates all the way thru are correct, then you can look at your wireless rates to determine if they make sense, given the fact that you know at this point that the wired rates to and through the Time Capsule are correct.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Gdkitty,

Thanks for the response. So I was testing it with Ookla speedtest. I have a 3 airport express extending the network of the Time Capsule in bridge mode. I was tesitng it on teh 1st floor and the TC was in teh basement where the CGN3 router is. 

So I called Rogers tech support, and they put the CGN3 back as the router, and the speed was up to 40 mbs on the 2.4 network at teh same location. I then put teh TC in bridge mode, and set up a second wireless networkusing the airport equipment as ther eis no way the CGN will get to the upstairs areas, and it isn't as fast, but it's better. Any suggestions on a better way to set this up would be welcome.

I've Been Here Awhile

Datalink,

OK, I wasn't clear, but I did do what you said and disable the Residential Gateway Function, but did not do a factory reset of the Time Capsule. If you read my response to Gdkitty, I did test the CGN and it seems to be fast (redid it in the basement in front of it and got 140mbs on the 5gHz, and 90 on 2.4).

I'm going tot try your suggestion tomorrow and do a factory reset on the TC and see what speed I can get it up to. Thanks.