IP address wrong location

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IP address wrong location

I just switched over to the new Ignite TV, which provides a new modem.  I finally stopped getting Google searches in London instead of where I live (3 hours away).  I had swapped out Coda modems a couple of times and only this has worked. Maybe there is new routing with the new modems?  Maybe someone else will know?  Thanks 

I've Been Around

I am in Mississauga Ontario Canada and I and Google think I am in Corner Brook Newfoundland.  This has caused several confusing emails to me to validate I am legit.  I need to get this fixed but the information in this thread does not tell me how. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@benjimin : As mentioned in several earlier posts in this thread, you can try contacting the @CommunityHelps  people by clicking that link and sending them a PM or as follows after you have logged into the forum:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Rogers-Community-Forums-Blog/Get-to-know-your-Community-How-To...

No guarantees, but that seems to be the only recourse at this time.  I'm not sure what they do - perhaps get you a different IP address, or update the IP address geolocation database...

I'm Here A Lot

Has anyone been able to resolve this problem? I’ve had the same issue for about two months. I’ve had no luck in spite of contacting support and escalating the problem. Am I reading some of the responses correctly in that the problem will resolve itself eventually?

Hello @nanax4,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and Congrats on your very first post!

Having your IP address geo-linked to the wrong location can definitely cause some inconvenience. =(

We use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) at Rogers which basically means that an IP address is randomly assigned and leased to your modem for a set period of time. After the lease has expired a new IP address is assigned or sometimes the same IP address will be reassigned. It is possible that once your IP lease is up you will be assigned a new IP address that is properly geo-linked to your area.

We do not have the ability to reassign your IP address but some users have found that by swapping the modem you will be assigned a new IP address which may resolve your issue faster. Can you let us know what area you live in and what area your IP address is showing when you do an IP address lookup?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, here we go again. 

I really, really, don't believe that a modem swap will resolve this.  The problem arises when Rogers moves IP addresses from CMTS to CMTS, basically, from one physical location to another.  That probably occurs in IP blocks, not just one address at a time.  As a result of the move, the various IP Geo-location companies no longer have an accurate IP address to Geo-location association.  When @RogersDave was around, he took it upon himself to provide updates to some of the Geo-location companies.  End result, customer locations were properly represented which affects logins for NHL services and others.  Now, one to two years down the road, as Rogers continues to move those IP blocks around, that IP to Geo-location association is slowly degrading.  The only solution to this is for a network engineer to provide updates to the various Geo-location companies.  

This is a lose-lose situation for all involved.  As that association degrades, users who depend on accurate Geo-locations such as those who sign up for sports related sites will potentially be blacked out of various games due to the wrong location that the relevant Geo-location company provides.  End result, if you can't reliably watch the events, why sign up?  Doesn't Rogers own some of those rights to broadcast the games?  I'm assuming this is correct.  If so, this will result in a revenue drop for Rogers as users decide to do something other than fight with the system.  Since Rogers has paid $5.2 billion for NHL rights in Canada, I'm sure the company is interested in making that money back.  That won't happen if the users can't watch the games that their interested in.  Hopefully some VP will read this thread.  End solution, drop the task of providing updated IP to Geo-location files on some unsuspecting but enterprising network engineer and tell him or her to get on with it.  Make that a regular requirement, once a month if not more.  Develop some simple system with the Geo-location companies that everyone can agree on.  At the end of the day, Rogers needs the Geo-location companies to be able to facilitate user transactions thru the Rogers network.  Without that ability, users will simply go to another provider.  Don't know how much clearer this can be, its a company task to sort this out, not a user task to switch modems and hope for the best. 

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your reply. I’ve swapped the modem twice with no change. Address is 99.245.xxx.xxx, Fredericton. I am in Mississauga, Ontario. I’ve spent the equivalent of days talking to support and a tech engineer. The engineer said it’s my devices, lol. It for sure is not. If I log into WiFi elsewhere my location is correct. Even the Smart Home Monitoring Tech logged into our WiFi when he was here, and he was in Fredericton.

(Removed Personal IP Address - RogersTony)

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks very much for replying to my post. The whole problem seems unbelievable to me.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nanax4 wrote:
Thanks very much for replying to my post. The whole problem seems unbelievable to me.

The whole problem is very believable when you realize that geolocation is, by and large, third parties 'guessing' the geographical location of a particular IP address. (It's easy to do if you have access to GPS coordinates from, say, a mapping app in a smart phone. You could also if you were, say, google, do some kind of AI and reverse engineer the location of a particular IP block based on the geographic focus of most of their searches. It's also done by gathering wifi AP data while google street view cars drive around, etc. There are lots of clever tricks one can use to find correlations between IP addresses and geographic locations) Sometimes, those third parties' data can be augmented by data submitted by ISPs... and maybe the world has come to be so reliant on geolocation that ISPs should take that far more seriously than they do.

But the bottom line is that it's a fairly simple problem. Rogers split some nodes in Fredericton, which freed up some IP blocks (and used other IP blocks). Those freed up IP blocks were then reassigned to split some nodes in Mississauga. The geolocation providers have no idea that this was done, so until i) someone tells them the location has changed, or ii) their algorithms cause them to spontaneously conclude this IP block is no longer in Fredericton, then it will remain how it is.

One suggestion I would throw out there: try your best to use as many location-aware apps on a GPS-enabled smartphone on your network and hope that those apps report the GPS location to the geolocation provider and that causes the algorithms to start updating things... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nanax4  what you can also do is to send your complaint via message to @RogersDarrell to forward onto the Network Engineering staff.  You can follow that link for @RogersDarrell to access his public page and use the link on the right hand side to "Send this user a private message". 

You could also use the Share a Concern route to complain about yet another ongoing issue:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

You need to be logged into the Rogers site as that share-a-concern page populates some of the responses automatically as you go thru the selections.