IP address wrong location

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: IP address wrong location

Hey Datalink
Thanks for the info, will attempt what you mention, just wish I didn't have to put so much effort into getting help on what clearly is a problem. I would be embarrassed to put out such a flawed product or run support that way. Are you paying attention NHL
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @Pool_Guy, actually I'm not a hockey fan of any sort Smiley Sad  But, I do see the complaints of the poor service in the forum.  I don't think its ever worked as it should, at least not for the three years or so that I've been in this forum.  Personal opinion, someone needs to take the bull by the horns and chase down the signal flow, from camera, to camera truck, thru the various networks, including Rogers, and finally to the end customer.  There's probably more than one issue on the go, so, without a complete examination, from end to end, those issues wont' be found or resolved.  Personal opinion from the peanut gallery .......

I'm Here A Lot

Hi Datalink,

I'm facing the same problem my IP Geolocation says I'm in Toronto and I should be in Ottawa. I did sent PM to the communityhelps as per your recommendation.

Thanks
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to correct the location of my IP address with my Rogers internet?

I live in Ottawa but I believe my Rogers internet IP address thinks that I am in Toronto. 

For example, when logging into my Apple ID from a device connected to my wifi, I receive the following security message from Apple: "Your Apple ID is being used to sign in to a new device. Your Apple ID is being used to sign in to a device near Toronto, ON."

On top of this, I am trying to use Rogers NHL to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs games. I pay for the monthly subscription and I am supposed to have access to all Toronto games since I live in Ottawa (its the opposite black-out restrictions for the online subscription service). However, I'm blacked out of all Toronto games but can watch Ottawa games... I actually should be blacked out of Ottawa games, and have full access to all Toronto games. 

I have had about 6 phone conversations with Rogers technical support about this, most lasting over an hour each. There have been multiple tickets and cases opened, with no one being able to resolve this for me yet...

I do not use any VPN services, which could confuse/change my location. 

Can anyone help on here?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@amreath this is an ongoing problem that customers have to deal with every year.  In a nutshell, it requires a Rogers network engineer to generate a database file that can be sent to the various IP Geo-locating companies, and to the NHL streaming company.  Last time this was done is probably two to three years ago and the engineer who took it upon himself to do this has since left Rogers.  It appears that Rogers moves IP ranges around the network, and as a result, all of the geo-locating company databases fall out of sync as those IP addresses move. 

Only thing I can suggest is for one of the mods at @CommunityHelps to get in touch with you in order to pass the relevant details to the required companies.  No guarantees here.  

It would be much simpler if Rogers could appoint some engineer to this task and see that it occurs on a regular basis throughout the year.  Its one of those grey areas, Rogers really doesn't have any responsibility to advise the geo-locating companies of the true location of the network IP addresses and the geo-locating companies can't do their job without the IP to location database that only Rogers holds.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with this problem.  I live in Newmarket but all my online searches take me to London.  I have complained and tried 3 Coda different modems with no luck.  I wonder if the new ignite tv modem would work better?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It has nothing to do with the modem itself.

Its all in how the IP addresses are assigned, rotated, etc.

So the ones that are currently been assigned to you, last time the geoip location for that IP was fully updated, it was then probably in London.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty

Do you if this affects my routing to game servers? Newmarket -> London then wherever?  Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure.
At lest emediately, no it shouldn’t. It’s not like it will go from your house, to a node in London. The Rogers network won’t use it at all and knows to route between its own just fine.

Outside of Rogers, hard to say.
If it’s doing an initial dns type resolve might resolve to a different closest server.
Might all depend if that place, what they are using to resolve has the updated location.

I've Been Around

For a few days now my location is showing in Corner Brook, NL but I am in Mississauga ON. I wonder how long before it shows correct location.