IP address wrong location

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: IP address wrong location

I don't know why this is, but I have the same problem continually when I use Internet Explorer version 11.  I live in Thornhill ON and yet Cdn Tire was saying my nearest store is in Barrie ON all because of the Rogers problem with public IP addresses, even when I log in and Cdn Tire does know the real city I live in with their records of my account.

However, I was really GLAD to find out that when I use Opera as am Internet Browser, it does use my correct choice of favorite store close to where I live.  I have no idea why this would be possible with one browser and not with the other.   IE 11 is troublesome and yet Opera has the ability to know the right store to choose.

So how about you try using Opera instead of Internet Explorer.  I do use Chrome and will eventually try it also, but I can not load them all at the same time.  I have to wait until I finish with Opera as I have too many windows open that need bookmarking.

I was livid with anger as what should have been a half hour of online shopping was a terrible time waster as each new window I opened for a new product reverted back to the Barrie location, even though I was signed in and CdnTire does know my favorite store.  The problem does lie with both Rogers and IE11.

I talked to Rogers help and that took a horrible 4 hours as no one knew the answer and kept switching me to different people, but just said it was a known problem.  So, given my new discovery that Opera does work....use that browser for all the stores and google maps where IP addresses are going to be read from Rogers using disparate far reaching locations.....and for some unknown reason Opera manages to bypass the problem whereas IE 11 is terrible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Janina_Walker wrote:

I don't know why this is, but I have the same problem continually when I use Internet Explorer version 11.  I live in Thornhill ON and yet Cdn Tire was saying my nearest store is in Barrie ON all because of the Rogers problem with public IP addresses, even when I log in and Cdn Tire does know the real city I live in with their records of my account.

However, I was really GLAD to find out that when I use Opera as am Internet Browser, it does use my correct choice of favorite store close to where I live.  I have no idea why this would be possible with one browser and not with the other.   IE 11 is troublesome and yet Opera has the ability to know the right store to choose.

So how about you try using Opera instead of Internet Explorer.  I do use Chrome and will eventually try it also, but I can not load them all at the same time.  I have to wait until I finish with Opera as I have too many windows open that need bookmarking.

I was livid with anger as what should have been a half hour of online shopping was a terrible time waster as each new window I opened for a new product reverted back to the Barrie location, even though I was signed in and CdnTire does know my favorite store.  The problem does lie with both Rogers and IE11.

I talked to Rogers help and that took a horrible 4 hours as no one knew the answer and kept switching me to different people, but just said it was a known problem.  So, given my new discovery that Opera does work....use that browser for all the stores and google maps where IP addresses are going to be read from Rogers using disparate far reaching locations.....and for some unknown reason Opera manages to bypass the problem whereas IE 11 is terrible.

First, I think Canadian Tire deserves at least some of the blame if their web site is set up to perpetually favour geolocation over you telling it what store you're in. 

Second, the difference in behaviour between Opera and IE11 can be answered quite simply. IE11 does not, AFAIK, support 'modern' geolocation APIs, i.e. where the BROWSER will tell the server something about its geographic location. So I presume the Canadian Tire server does its geolocating based strictly on what its geolocation providers think about where your IP is located.

More modern browsers support 'smartphone'-style geolocation. If you're on a laptop with wifi, chances are, they can locate you within a few hundred meters by identifying your/neighbouring wifi networks and cross-referencing that with a geolocation provider's database of what wifi networks are where. (Now, if you moved the day before and took your wifi router with you... this method may not work too accurately) Interestingly, if you're on a desktop with a wired connection, that method is likely... not going to work as nicely.  I suspect that's why Opera would have worked so much better in your case.

If you want to see this in action, take a computer connected via wifi, open a modern web browser, go to Google Maps, and click the button to display your current location. Tell your browser that you authorize sharing of location if it prompts you.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your advanced knowledge of these things.  I have purposely disabled the wifi aspect of my modem to enable it at a later date if I get a computer with the capability.  I only use the modem in a wired sense.

And when I used a Bell Canada wired modem three months ago it did not create the same problem.

It makes me wonder how the police could accurately track someone down if they use email from a modem that is connected to an IP address hours away.  Frankly it should be made illegal and Rogers should change it.  There should be a software directed way to override the server IP address for an IP address that is related to the true location of the person's usual use of the service.  I have no idea how they would manage portable devices as I don't have a cell phone.....but those with GPS might have something to do with it.  I am not likely to become an expert in this as my interests lie elsewhere.  I was just fed up that I could not get accurate stock levels from the store I did want to buy from....using IE11....so now I must remember which browser to use for certain activites.

I was just trying to be helpful in stating that at least one browser does work for my case of the same problem....touch wood....as who knows what is around the next corner.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Janina_Walker wrote:

Thank you for your advanced knowledge of these things.  I have purposely disabled the wifi aspect of my modem to enable it at a later date if I get a computer with the capability.  I only use the modem in a wired sense.

And when I used a Bell Canada wired modem three months ago it did not create the same problem.

It makes me wonder how the police could accurately track someone down if they use email from a modem that is connected to an IP address hours away.  Frankly it should be made illegal and Rogers should change it.  There should be a software directed way to override the server IP address for an IP address that is related to the true location of the person's usual use of the service.  I have no idea how they would manage portable devices as I don't have a cell phone.....but those with GPS might have something to do with it.  I am not likely to become an expert in this as my interests lie elsewhere.  I was just fed up that I could not get accurate stock levels from the store I did want to buy from....using IE11....so now I must remember which browser to use for certain activites.

I was just trying to be helpful in stating that at least one browser does work for my case of the same problem....touch wood....as who knows what is around the next corner.

The police is not using this kind of "geolocation" technology.

If the police wants to know where a certain IP address is being used, they'll show up at Rogers with a warrant. Rogers will pull up the records for that IP and figure out what modem it was used with and what node that modem is on. Then they'll hand over the street address of the account that modem is associated with and the police will drive off to that address. 

What has happened here is that people (not connected to the ISPs who actually manage the networks and assign the IP blocks), thanks to smartphones with GPS and Google cars driving around inventorying wifi networks, have gotten very good at geographically identifying where a particular IP is. I can open up Google Maps on a wifi connection and it maps me EXACTLY to where I am. If I do it on a wired-only machine, it puts me a kilometer or two west (for the reasons explained in my previous post).

Canadian Tire seems to have built a web site that's overly dependent on this technology. They assume you are using a modern browser that supplies a precise accurate location, or they fall back to some-not-that-accurate IP-based geolocation. That, frankly, is their problem - for example, it has often happened to me that I am on the phone with out-of-town friends who are driving around, and they ask me to look up where they can go buy something. Even with perfect geolocation information, Canadian Tire's web site would apparently break just as horribly if I, from my computer in Toronto, am trying to find out where in Ottawa my friends/parents can buy something. 

I'm Here A Lot

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue with my ip and the NHL TV app on my Xbox. Xbox thinks I am in Toronto but I am in Ottawa, so Game Center Live blacks out leafs games. Who is lookup says my ip is in Toronto. Any solutions?
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in Barrhaven and was having the same issue a few months back...maybe even up to a year ago.  However, the issue has been resolved.   Not sure what Rogers did, if anything, to fix the problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Joedeck:

This could be a result of the geolocator website not having the most recent information regarding your IP, or "Game Centre" looking at the incorrect geolocation source, or having old information.  (read earlier posts in this thread)

It is my understanding that this information is updated, however, the updates are not very timely.  Geolocation is not very accurate a lot of the time and therefore shouldn't really be used for "commercial" purposes.

You could try contacting Game Centre and/or any of the Geolocation websites that have your information incorrect.  You could also try Rogers - say the Community Helps people on this forum.  Many people have been helped by contacting "Community Helps".  See post 42 of this thread.

These updates could also be why @James_Greene had the issue resolved.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks, I contacted Rogers Support who told me to reset my modem to acquire a new regional IP.  I did this and I received the exact same IP. I will try again and see what happens, and like suggested, maybe this just takes time to properly geolocate the ip.  

I'm Here A Lot

Does anyone have a direct contact at Rogers that knows how to fix this problem? I've contacted them 5 times since fall through the normal paths so have to go through the whole song and dance each time, they can't (or won't) even lookup the previous case #. I live in New Brunswick but get local Blackout error on Toronto games, between my efforts and I assume Rogers most of the IP geolocators now reports properly but there's still one reporting the Toronto area yet only device that will play Toronto games is the smart phone with GPS and data turned on. Very Frustrating as they won't call back and work with me, I'll get a vague voice mail that they fixed it - If only.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not that this helps, but the geolocations for the IP addresses were last updated by @RogersDave several months ago.  Dave has since left Rogers or is leaving, outbound to Hitron.  The only staff with access to the CMTS IP addresses and locations would probably be in the network group.  Only suggestion is to get the moderators at @CommunityHelps to send a request to the network staff to update the IP locations with the various geolocating services as well as the provider for NHL games.  I suspect that Dave took this on as a personal initiative, so, I don't know if there is any formal process in place to accomplish this on a regular basis, which would be required as IP address locations aren't necessarily static.