IP address wrong location

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: IP address wrong location

@RogersMoin   I have my modem in bridged mode, so that I can use my own router which gives my flawless VoIP service (unlike the Hitron).   Will swapping a bridged mode modem really force Rogers to give me a new IP?

I Plan to Stick Around

@VivienM wrote:

Okay, this is plain ridiculous. The suggestion to get a new modem is nearly insane (but might work if you run in gateway mode and your new modem gets an IP in a different subnet as a result). 

My suggestion: if you have a smartphone or other device with GPS, make sure it's on your wifi, and start using it for a little while with Google Maps. I expect that that might start the process of Google collecting enough information to be like 'wait a second... that IP is somewhere else'. 

@VivienM - Thanks for your ideas, I realize you are trying to help us out.  I have followed your suggestion and have been patiently waiting for this issue to be corrected for at least six months now.  It may actually be more like eight months.   We have several iPhones connected via WiFi that we regularly use with Map/GPS apps to find locations to hockey arenas, etc.   Yet, I am still stuck being told I'm in Moncton, NB, when I am actually in Markham, ON.  

I agree with you that I don't see how changing my modem, which is in bridge mode, will help me resolve this issue.   Do you have any other ideas?   

I am really sick of being told to just sit back and wait this (magically) should fix itself in time.   This internet service isn't cheap, and always having to correct the location of stores like Canadian Tire, Best Buy, Staples and Home Depot everytime I want to know which location to drive is very frustrating.  I have about 3 in opposite directions - none of which seem to be able to keep in stock the items that I seem to be shopping for... Oh great.  Now Walmart thinks I'm in Vancouver, BC.   Whereas Home Depot, Canadian Tire and Staples still think I'm in Moncton, NB.  This is getting worse, not better.

I understand that this may seem like a trivial thing to many employees of Rogers.  And maybe it really is a difficult thing to go and correct the issues with this one IP that is driving me nuts.  So, if changing IPs is an easier answer, help me do that.   I find it very hard to believe you can't simply remove the lease on the IP that is assigned to my devices MAC address and for an end user that would be incredibly more convenient.   But, if it means I have to exchange my modem again and take the risk I'll get another lemon like the one I had a year ago - one that would inexplicably drop the download speed down from 70 to 0.2 (yes, zero point 2) until it was powercycled, I will take that risk and go to the extra effort.  But, I want to be absolutely sure that will correct the issue since I'm running in Bridge mode, not Gateway mode.

PS.  I really feel for those of you @worky and @BuddyRich that are complaining about being blocked from watching their favourite team even though you're paying for Gamecentre.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave wrote:

Geo-location services have access to multiple data sources. The primary source is the Regional Internet Registries (ARIN for North America). This database will indicate that the IP belongs to Rogers and is therefore likely in Canada.

That is a start but far from being sufficient in a large country. In order to reach their target which is to link an IP to a city or even a neighbourhood, these geo-location services harvest data from other sources. For example, Google maintains geo-location tables based on information submitted from Android phones GPS and WiFi networks in range. Other companies may harvest data from certain websites where users tend to submit their locations (weather website for example). The way each provider manages to link an IP to a location is usually proprietary (it is their secret sauce).

In any case, this is not an exact science and when a ISP re-allocates IP address blocks from one region to another (often necessary during network upgrades), the process fails and it can take a few days or weeks for all the providers to update their databases. Some providers may be faster than others but they will eventually converge to the proper location.

As an ISP, we unfortunately have no easy way to provide this information to all the providers out there.

I appreciate the explanation.  But, the end result is you are suggesting that we sit back and wait for it to fix itself, are you not?  

I would argue that if you "unfortunately have no easy way to provide this information to all the providers out there" you do have an obligation to your customers to help them quickly and efficiently with minimal effort on their part change to a different IP.  A different IP that has had all the necessary magic applied to it so that the geolocation is recorded accurately. 

If we've gone to the effort of searching for self-service help and then posting to this forum when we couldn't find a solution, we have shown that we are willing to work with you to fix this. 

But, I don't think any of us are being unreasonable when we request that after waiting months for it to be fixed, Rogers now take the extra effort necessary to help us resolve this issue.   Simply put, we don't care how a resolution is made, if you can't force the geolocation services to change then at least go and help us get different IPs until we land on one that is correct.

I'm Here A Lot

I used this site which tests 5 different GeoIP DBs with your current IP

https://www.iplocation.net/

In my case IP2location and DB-IP are incorrect.

FWIW I sent an email to here for IP2location:

http://www.ip2location.com/contact

and used this form here for DB-IP:

https://db-ip.com/report/

to report the errors.  For the first email it looks like this is something that Rogers should do in bulk when they shift IPs.  As it is now, it looks like my IP is tied to the Wolfdale phub when it really should be the Richmond Rd. phub in Ottawa.

Hopefully the turnaround time is quick.

From reports on the web (here:  https://forums.mediacomcable.com/index.php?topic=13981.0)  MLB.TV used to be able to manually assign your market to your account but you were out of luck if your IP changed again.

MLBAM runs NHL.TV now, but Rogers handles it as Gamecenter here in Canada and the online chat help for Gamecenter couldn't help me, so I am not sure if they can override it for me.  I can use a VPN to get around the blackout as well but I'd prefer not to as its against the ToS.

I Plan to Stick Around

I can use a VPN to get around the blackout as well but I'd prefer not to as its against the ToS.

Nor should you have to jump through extra hoops just to watch a hockey game where the rights are owned by Rogers, through a service owned by Rogers, using an internet connection with Rogers.

It's absolutely absurd that they use a technology that they have no control over. And to sit on their hands while their customers try to figure out solutions like you described is even worse. I had a supervisor that I chatted with also have the gaul to suggest that I suck it up because I'm "getting a great deal" on my internet service. So the implication from a Rogers supervisor is that if you signed up on a promo plan, deal with the issues that we can't or won't fix because look at that great deal! Hopefully my comment won't get deleted this time, because apparently they have enough staff to delete posts critical of Rogers but not enough staff to actually fix a problem facing their customers. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@BuddyRich wrote:

I used this site which tests 5 different GeoIP DBs with your current IP

https://www.iplocation.net/

In my case IP2location and DB-IP are incorrect.

Coincidentally the same two list my address incorrectly.  One says I'm in Vancouver, the other in Moncton.  I'm actually in Markham, ON.  I've sent an email as you did to the one, and did note that on their site they say that is for ISPs to do BULK updates.   And for the other, I also completed that update request form.

Now, we sit and wait.   Again...

Network Architect
Network Architect

As I mentioned previously, we have virtually no control on the various geo-location providers out there.

In the specific case of NHL and Game Centre Live, the whole experienced is managed by NHL themselves. We only provide a layer of authentication and integration so that the MyRogers login can be used.

Given the relation that exists between NHL and Rogers, I reached out to some of my contacts to identify who is their geo-location provider so that we can update them with the relevant information. I am waiting to hear back and will provide an update once I hear back.

I Plan to Stick Around

My question would be, why wasn't this done 6 months ago when I (and I assume many others) identified the problem? It's been 6 months of inaction and only now is someone looking into the source of the issue.

It really makes Rogers look inept that you can't get a service that you administer to work with your internet service. I would assume, given that Rogers holds the rights to NHL coverage for the next 10 years that you probably have some clout. Alienating customers by using technology that you cannot control is bad business. You are literally are forcing me into piracy and illegal streams.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The GCL thing is one thing.. they should be using a geoip database, which is then correct to what the IP addresses with rogers actually is.   I agree that should be 100% fixable on their end.

But unfortunately i have to agree with RogersDave.

Could rogers change customers IPs? 
Hopefully... but the prolem then is.... 

what about that new IP?  What is the guarantee that those 3rd party sites, have the updated information for the new IP?

You can make all the information available.. but if others are not updating on a regular interval?

You see this exact same thing with DNS all the time.
Brand new sites out there.. it can take a few days sometimes, for it to be fully available.. as it takes time for other places to update their DNS records to know where its suposed to point to.
Quite often (usually with the more forign countries, smaller countries, etc), you can sometimes find that it will take longer.. or sometimes an isp will appear to not get it at all.   Just due to it not being passed on properly.

This just a thing that rogers is prone to.. it happens period.
We are on EXPENSIVE direct BELL business fiber 1gbps here at work.  (Aurora, ON)
Most geoIP shows at Toronto.  At least still same province.. but likely due to the connections for her drive back to a toronto interconnect.

But if you do a reverse DNS lookup on our IP address... you STILL get a BC based website as one of the ones listed.. there is a DNS out there which STILL has not updated that it is registered to ours.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave wrote:

I reached out to some of my contacts to identify who is their geo-location provider so that we can update them with the relevant information. I am waiting to hear back and will provide an update once I hear back.

Will this update be done for all of the problem IPs?  Or, will you need us to send you our IPs and you'll only be fixing those ones?

As I've said in a previous post I have tried to update the geolocation problem myself.  But, what I should have added was that I also tried this avenue more than a month ago when I made one of my earlier posts.   I wasn't checking all five before, so I'm not sure if my previous attempts to have my location updated were successful or not.  But, as of now 2 of the 5 are still wrong.  So, I'm not overly optimistic that we can change it ourselves as end users.

My earlier question to you about changing IPs in order to get one that is correct.  In your opinion given your position and understanding of how things actually function, would that work?  Or, in your opinion is there a very good chance that it isn't possible to end up with an IP that is correct right off the bat?  I see as I was writing this @Gdkitty has alluded to that same potential problem.  But, if that is the case, why doesn't everyone I know who is also a Rogers customer have this problem?