IP address wrong location

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: IP address wrong location

You are not alone. I get the exact same thing happening as of yesterday. I'm in Ottawa and noticed that my Google maps and other websites show me as living in the London Ontario area. I too have a Hiltron that has worked flawlessly for the last year.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think my issue is partially fixed now.  I just noticed this yesterday.  When I do a Google search for example, VW, or Best Buy, or Honda car dealerships, the search results bring back locations in the Ottawa area.  Previously, I was getting search results for places in Markham, Ontario.

However, I still have an issue with locations inside of websites.  For example, when I search for a product with Best Buy and check for store availability for the product, I still het the Markham locations.

I've Been Here Awhile

I got the new gigabit modem recently. Now I can't purchase Princess Margaret lotto tickets online as it says my IP address is not in Ontario. This sucks.
I've Been Here Awhile

As as of yesterday, all is back to normal. I suppose Rogers finally figured things out regarding our IP address.

I Plan to Stick Around

Still an issue for me with 3rd party websites

I've Been Around

I'm experiencing a similar problem.  I'm near Ottawa.  

With my Hitron CGN3 in Gateway mode connected to my Cisco E4200 with stock firmware, I have a 99. IP and speeds of 320/20.  This is a normal set up.  I have VoIP issues though.

With CGN3 in Bridge Mode, I get a 173. IP located in Barrie and

- direct PC connection to Hitron Bridge 200/

- PC through Cisco E4200 running ddwrt firmware speed drops to 110/10 (last night)

- PC through Cisco E4200 with Cisco firmware, speeds drop to 260/04 (morning)

I have rebooted the CGN3 and Cisco and  I've put the Hitron into Bridge and Gateway mode mutliple times.  It is consistently slower speeds and .173 in Bridge mode, and faster .99 in Gateway mode.

The reason I'm trying Bridge mode and ddwrt firmware is due to the VoIP issues.  I have VoIP issues fairly often (FPL) with transmit audio being broken.  I've tried various things to resolve and much reading online.  I am looking at Hitron CGN3 in Bridge mode as a possible solution, but the drop in speed and wrong IP is now a problem.  

I've Been Here Awhile

The Princess Margaret Lotto is exactly my problem, too.  Purchased tickets several timesin the past, no problem.  Switched to Rogers Gigabit, suddenly can't.  And Rogers denies it's their problem.  Very frustrating.

I Plan to Stick Around

This has become very annoying.  Is there not a way to manually correct an incorrect GeoLocation for an IP?   I live in Ontario and have been told that I am in NewBrunswick for the past several months.  I think it's been at least 4 months now.  I have taken the time to do a number of Google Maps searches, as I had read a suggestion to do that.  We have a number of iPhones with WiFi enabled and I routinely use map Apps on my GPS enabled phone while connected to WiFi.  I don't think it is going to magically fix itself as it hasn't already.  I'm getting really tired of having to go and manually enter my location everytime I go to make a purchase on a website.   Anyone have a solution?

Hello, @thwartme and @Intimidator

Thank you for joining the Rogers Community Forums and posting your concern.

@thwartme - is the issue got corrected for you?

@Intimidator - I appreciate your efforts of trying the steps listed in the solution since the issue still exists I would suggest swapping the modem at the nearest Rogers Plus Store, thank you.

Regards,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

Several weeks ago I was suddenly switched from Toronto to Ottawa. Every time I do simple searches (such as a grogery store flyer) Ottawa is chosen. After eading this forum I called Rogers and was advised that there was nothing they could do but to provide me with a new modem. There's customer service for you!

Got my new modem this morning, still shows me in Ottawa!!!

Topic Stats